PDA

View Full Version : Myths Legends and Little People...

Spice1
2007-07-18, 23:59
So, many of the great isolated places in America are prone to legends and myths of underground civilizations, little people, big feet and assorted (and sometime asinine) legends. I'm curious, (barring Iceman's bed time with Bigfoot) what do your guy's neck fo the woods contain? I've got Mt Shasta home to the underground civilization of lemuria, and the ascended St. Germain.

Now, I'm a pragmatist, but as I love a good horror story or sci-fi movie, I got mixed up today trying to find supposed locations of J.C. Browns cave in which led him to discover the lost land of Talos. Shasta's got alot of hippy freaks coming in a waving crystals trying to create world peace and what-not, but the legends are compelling.

So, what kind of creepy myths do your hills hold?

(insert dueling banjos here)

Cerberus
2007-07-19, 01:37
I live 20 minutes from Adams, TN, home of the Bell Witch. The movie "American Haunting" was about her. Growing up, my grandparents told me stories about her farm, and the cave near her home. My brother and I visited the cave with our grandparents when we were little. We both swear to this day that we saw a dead body laying in the cave.

All kinds of stories about the witch. My mom went to the Bell family cemetary with a few friends when she was a teenager. One of the guys with them took a small marker or headstone (don't remember what it was) from a grave. A week later he commited suicide, and a friend of his aquired the object. Two weeks later he died in a car wreck. My mom has no opinion on the subject, whether it was coincidence or a curse. She just refuses to go to the farm, or even see the movie. I haven't seen it yet, but want to.

deadeye
2007-07-19, 09:34
We've got quite a few, but aside from "Champ", Lake Champlain's version of the Loch Ness Monster, nothing famous. Of course, there's the tradition of freezing the old folks for the winter, but that's pretty much a thing of the past nowadays. A few local farm families still practice the art, but quietly. They explain Grandpa's absence as a trip to Florida or something similar.

Iceman
2007-07-19, 10:00
Thanks Spice, that reminds me..., I had a rather large fellow in college who followed my girlfriend and I around for years. He had one eye that was dead (sorry deadeye, different guy...), was 6'5", walked sort of funny, anyway his nickname was "Sassy" short for his other nickname of sasquatch. Now I am getting worried...

Anyway, we do have a weird little tidbit of lore around these parts. The story does not go back very far. The lore is that of Mel's Hole. Mel's Hole is a supposed hole in the earth which is "bottomless", that rural folks in the center of our state have been dumping trash down for years. The owner of the property "Mel" had lowered a one pound weight down the hole for over a mile and has not hit the bottom. We camp nearby on Manastash ridge every year and I was unaware of the story until recently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel%27s_Hole

Transcript of discussion from the Art Bell (cuckoo hour) show. http://www.seattlechatclub.org/Mel_Hole_Transcripts.html

JAK
2007-07-19, 10:02
Of course there are many Micmac Legends, many about Glooscap, that reach back far into antiquity. So many rocks and islands and rivers and lakes have various legends and characters associated with them. The Glooscap Legend about Reversing Falls and the Beaver being perhaps the most interesting or well known, as it is another flood story. But here are some of the more recent legends:

The Farfarers - Albans. Pre-celtic europeans arriving from Britain to escape the Romans and Vikings and to continue their search and exploitation of ivory. Left behind piles of stone for signal fires, and perhaps some descendants, the Jakatars.

St. Columba - Irish Monk arrived in a leather boat.

Henry Sinclair - Arrived in a wooden boat. Brought treasure of the Knights Templar and buried it various places, including Oak Island.

Vikings - We are more sure about them, but not how far they got to.

Pirates - More treasure, including Oak Island.

Oh yes, I almost forgot. When the MacNeils of Barra left Scotland, they took the real stone of Scone with them. It is buried someplace in Cape Breton Nova Scotia, waiting for the next real King of Scotland.

p.s. I left out the ghost stories, like the Ghost Ship of the Bay of Chaleur, and Ghost Island in Bellisle. Many Ghost Stories. Here are a few:
http://new-brunswick.net/new-brunswick/ghoststory/index.html

JAK
2007-07-19, 10:06
Far within the forest scene,
Where the trees forever green,
Form a contrast to the beech and birches grey,
Where the snow lies white and deep,
And the song birds seem to sleep,
And cease their sweetest singing all the day.
Where the mighty monstrous moose,
Of limbs both large and loose,
Through the forest sweeps with strides both swift and strong,
Where the caribou and deer
Swim the brooks so crystal clear,
And the mighty deep Dungarvon rolls along.

Where the black bear has his den,
Far beyond the haunts of men,
And the muskrat, mink and marten swim the stream,
Where the squirrel so light and free,
Swiftly springs from tree to tree,
And the lovely snow-white rabbit sleep and dreams;
Where the sounds of toil resound
Far across the frozen ground,
And the thousand things that to the woods belong,
Where the saws and axes ring,
And the woodsmen wildly sing,
And the dark and deep Dungarvon sweeps along.

In a lumber camp one day,
While the crew were faraway,
And no one there but cook and boss alone,
A sad tragedy took place,
And death won another race,
For the young cook swiftly passed to the unknown;
From the day of long ago,
Comes this weary tale of woe,
The sad and solemn subject of my song,
When this young man drooped and died,
In his youth and manhood's pride,
Where the dark and deep Dungarvon sweeps along.

When the crew returned that night,
What a sad scene met their sight,
There lay the young cook silent, cold and dead,
Death was in his curling hair,
In his young face pale and fair,
While his knapsack formed a pillow for his head.
From the belt about his waist
All his money was misplaced,
Which made the men suspect some serious wrong,
Was it murder cold and dread,
That befell the fair young dead
Where the dark and deep Dungarvon rolls along?

When they asked the skipper why
He had made no wild outcry,
He turned away and hid his haughty head;
"Well, the youngster took so sick,
And he died so mighty quick,
I hadn't time to think, " was all he said;
A tear was in each eye,
Each heart it heaved a sigh,
While through each breast the strangest feeling throng;
When each reverent head was bared,
As his funeral they prepared,
Where the mighty deep Dungarvon rolls along.

Fast fell the driven snow,
While the wild winds they did blow,
Till four feet deep upon the ground it lay,
So that on the burial day
To the graveyard far away
To bear the corpse impossible was found.
Then a forest grave was made,
And in it the cook was laid
While the song birds and the woodsmen ceased their song;
When the last farewells were said
O'er the young and lonely dead

When the crew returned at night
Their dear comrade still they mourned,
While the shades o'night were falling o'er the hill,
All that long and fearful night
All the camp was in affright,
Such fearful whoops and yells the forest fill;
Pale and ghastly was each face,
"We shall leave this fearful place,
For this camp unto the demons does belong,
Ere the dawning of the day
We will hasten far away
From where the dark Dungarvon rolls along."

Since that day, so goes the word,
Fearful sounds have long been heard,
Far round the scene where lies the woodsman's grave,
Whoops the stoutest hearts to thrill,
Yells that warmest blood to chill,
Sends terror to the bravest of the brave;
Till beside the grave did stand,
God's good man with lifted hand,
And prayed that He those sounds should not perlong
That those fearful sounds should cease,
And the region rest in peace

Since that day the sounds have ceased
And the region is released
From those most unearthly whoops an screams and yells,
All around the Whooper's spring
There is heard no evil thing,
And round the Whooper's grave sweet silence dwells
Be this story false or true,
I have told it unto you,
As I heard it from the folklore all life long,
So I hope all strife will cease,
And our people dwell in peace,

dixicritter
2007-07-19, 10:30
These are great! I'm not sure what legends are "native" to my local area, I'm gonna have to look into that. Keep these coming I love this stuff!

Bear
2007-07-19, 14:04
[URL="www.gcbro.com/ - 25k"[/URL]

Stumbled across this site one night while bored at work and had to LMAO while reading some of it. Especially when they were describing one of the areas and from the description and pictures it had to be about 15 miles from where I lived at the time. I used to live about a quarter mile from the Tangipahoa river in a wooded area and spent many evenings sitting by the river and nights camping on the river and never got a peak at Iceman. It is amazing how some people will see what they want to.

Bear
2007-07-19, 14:07
www.gcbro.com

Let's see if this one works.

sailingsoul
2007-07-19, 15:01
I was a Boy Scout and camped many times in the Catskill and Adirondack Mountains. Can't say I was scared hearing the Tale about "Cropsy". Don't remember much of it but what I flash back to is a dead man, caring head, looking for Boy Scouts sleeping in tents, still out there, every year he gets some !!!. Seems I only remember the important facts. I wonder how the legends differ from one side of the Atlantic to the other side. SS :captain:

BigJohn
2007-07-19, 17:01
Myths abound surrounding Kentucky; mostly stories exaggerating how backwards we are from everyone else. Unfortunately some are true…most are erroneous. Hatfield’s and McCoy’s?? True story. The myth comes from the yellow journalism of the late nineteenth century when newspapers began to grossly exaggerate the sensational. The end result?…we are all moon-shiners, barefooted, and pregnant according to everyone else.

Moon-shiners? Yep we had plenty of them. The coolest thing is that you can still venture way out into the backwoods and find hidden stills from the 20s and 30s. Just watch out for the marijuana patches though. They are real!! And so are the hillbillies that guard them…probably the scariest thing you are going to find in our backwoods.

Swift Camp Creek. There is a myth in Eastern Kentucky that a man named John Swift had located the famous Swift Silvermines. There are explorers, still to this day, who continue to treasure hunt in the eastern foothills. Supposedly Cherokee and Shawnee bands frequented the mines and French and Spanish explorers were also in the know. Swift’s legacy only lives on because he was the only explorer to have left a map and descriptions of the mines whereabouts.

Daniel Boone is perhaps Kentucky’s most famous resident (besides President Lincoln, Mary Todd, Jefferson Davis, and Henry Clay). Known as one of the Kentucky long-hunters because of his year long sojourns into the wilderness region. He was born in Virginia and died in Missouri. Boone was not the first Caucasian settler to explore the region but he was responsible for leading a great influx of settlers across the Cumberland Gap. His enthusiasm and drive into the little-known region of Kentucky was an inspiration for other settlers. The myths that still exist today surround his persona. He was not a literate man, so all accounts were given by others, and descriptions of his physical features are so different and numerous that historians are still perplexed as to his actual appearance. When Boone died in Missouri, Kentuckians asked that his remains be returned for burial in Frankfort (where his remains supposedly lay). Historians believe the Missourians pranked us by sending the wrong body because they also claimed Daniel Boone as one of their own.

Native Americans DID live in Kentucky. Surveyors in Virginia in the 18th C. desirous of selling land in Kentucky to hapless settlers spread the stories that Kentucky was only the “happy hunting ground” but not actually inhabited. Cherokee, Shawnee, Mingo, and the much earlier Adena inhabited the region.

Another myth is that footholds built into the cliff faces in Kentucky backlands were built by the Adena Indians (circa 500AD??). Anthropologists however have revealed that the footholds were actually built by salt peter miners during the 19th C. who were looking for easier access to rockshelters high in the rugged terrain.

The history and myths that can be found everywhere are probably my favorite things about hiking in Kentucky.

P.S. Yep, it’s true. The Simpsons are from Springfield Kentucky.

GGS
2007-07-19, 18:35
Here in lower Michigan there are occasionally sightings that could be a black panther or cougar. Although officials have never managed to trap such an animal and other evidence hasn't been found the sightings persist. http://web.ncf.ca/bz050/HomePage.ppan.html

Then there is the Bigfoot sightings in Michigan's upper peninsula. Here's my other thread that dealt with that, http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2320

deadeye
2007-07-19, 21:02
P.S. Yep, itís true. The Simpsons are from Springfield Kentucky.

Whoa, there, Big John - then how come their movie is premiering in Springfield, Vermont, eh?:aetsch:

Spice1
2007-07-20, 03:50
Wow, This whole thread got me hopping back down to my hometown, virtually of course (I really only go down there when my mom needs renovation work, okay and Christmas) and I found this brilliant bit of spookiness (http://www.bartonmansion.com/home.html). Go to the video section, get creeped out, then watch the thing frame by frame, I swear it's a led zepplin album cover coming out of the closet.

Big John, I was at Ft Campbell, and LOVED Kentucky. Never heard of the swift silver mines though.

Ice, I've heard of Mel's hole. And I used to use art bell as an insomnia cure, nothing like listening to tweakers on the radio talk about ghosts at 2am for putting you to sleep.

Does the Bigfoot at GCBRO look like he's skiing? Maybe waterskiing behind champy?

And the Bell Witch, thus far wins, My fiance forwarded it to her family who is also a group of skeptics with a fair love for the spooky. She said, however that it didn't seem related to the movie American Haunting which she saw last winter. Figures, considering hollywood.

dropkick
2007-07-20, 08:40
We've had a few Bigfoot sightings in the state (one by a person I know and believe - he only told 3 people what he had seen and made us promise not tell anyone else).
Actually there was a report in the Anaconda Standard in 1892 of a large hairy creature that walked on 2 legs. It killed and ate both sheep and bear.
A pre-Bigfoot, Sasquach sighting in Montana?

Flathead Lake, the largest natural freshwater lake in the northwest, has "Nessie" it's version of the Loch Ness monster (lame name but they didn't ask me...) There have been reports of sightings going back decades.
-I think it's probably a sturgeon but who knows.....

As I grew up in a haunted house I believe in ghosts.
There are the normal ghost stories about different places, but nothing that really stands out in my mind.
Well... There is a house in Missoula that is boarded up, but the lawn is kept tidy and the house is freshly painted every few years (by professional painters). This included the boards covering the windows - unless you really looked closely you wouldn't even realize the house was boarded up. No one is allowed to enter the house.
When I lived in Missoula I used to walk past it regularly, but I always got a funny feeling from the house and after a while I started taking different routes to avoid the house without actually thinking about it.
Later I mentioned it to my Aunt, and she pulled out a newspaper clipping she'd kept. As I remember the story in the paper (this was years ago) nothing violent was known to have ever happened there, but an entire family lived and died in the house (husband, wife, and (2?) children). After the last surviving member of the family passed on (the Father - I think he was a doctor) the house was made into a rental.
No one stayed there for very long, several families loading up their belongings and left town in a great hurry with no notice. Some renters also developed mental problems while staying there. After a while the person hired to watch over the property and rent it out told the owners he would no longer rent it.
They put it up for sale. It sold twice, but in both cases the new owners defaulted on their payments and the house reverted to the old owners.
The house had developed a reputation, the relators stopped showing it.
It sat empty for several years and was falling into disrepair.
An unnamed man who had grown up in the neighborhood bought it and had it sealed shut. -This was several years before I noticed the place.
As far as I know it's still sitting empty and boarded up.

Thudley
2007-07-20, 09:27
Here in the Adirondacks, Whitehall has been a good place for spotting Bigfoot. I recall that a TV series did a night tour of this area some time back, complete with cracking branches and startled cameramen.

During the season when Bigfoot is at his Florida digs, we can all go to Lake Champlain to see Champie, our Lock ness monster.

Back west, near our SF location, there is the Winchester Mystery House. It's worth a tour to see this place which has its own legends...some true, some imaginary.

Me? I'm going after that 25 lb trout that's been lurking in a local lake for years...or so they tell me. :wink:

Thudley
2007-07-23, 18:42
So...this past weekend, my wife & I set off on an expedition to locate Champie. The attached pictures were taken on the Lake as we searched high & low.

We had heard rumors from the locals that Champie often assumes disguises to conceal itself from searchers.

Based on this tip, we changed our search tactics and finally captured the first bona fide image of Champie! (He was cleverly disguised as a mailbox on the lakeshore this time).

To celebrate, we drove over to Ben & Jerry's for a double scoop of Chockolate Chip Cookie Dough. mmmmm

dropkick
2007-07-24, 02:10
Once again I look closely at a photo and I see Iceman mingling with odd creatures. Here again with Champie.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-3/1165284/champie.jpg
I'm starting to really believe that he might be part of the Alien/Elvis Clone conspiracy.

Iceman
2007-07-24, 15:02
So am I now officially an urban legend?

My wife says I am a legend in my own mind...:dancing2:

Skidsteer
2007-07-24, 19:10
I hunt Leprechauns (http://youtube.com/watch?v=skHdJt1DLos) around here.

Only way to keep them from outgrowing the available habitat.

sailingsoul
2007-07-24, 23:23
Definitely, well done! Not amateur quality. The only thing missing was a Brand name on the beer. SS :captain:

Kiwi Dad
2007-07-25, 08:52
The town I live in is has a long history for gold mines which attract lots of different characters. Goes to say that there are some stories over the years. The manager of a mine (100 years ago) that had his pay reduced so during at a directors meeting shot a director. The table is still in the room where he died (council building - preserved), the shooter was hung. Annie Bags had lots of stray dogs that followed her, she roamed from this town to the nearest (50km away) and back regulary (in the 1800s). For no reason?. You can go to a local pub residence where a school mistress hung herself as she loved her brother in law - she took cyanide! You can sleep the night in that room.

Thudley
2007-07-25, 09:33
I hunt Leprechauns (http://youtube.com/watch?v=skHdJt1DLos) around here.

Funny stuff. Looks the the Sopranos have switched from, "Leave the gun, take the cannoli" to, "Leave the gold, take the brewski."

pure_mahem
2007-08-04, 11:41
We have a few here. First the story of Glostenbury where a group of hikers suddenly came up missing in the 50's with no explanation don't know the story completely but there was a small group all walking along a road trail in glostenbury and a couple of the lead hiker's turned around to talk to one of them behind them and they were all gone! Just vanished! Native American's legend says that places where four winds meet are bad magic or something and I guess Glostenbury was one of these places. We also have something similar up by Somerset resivoir where a whole town went missing like a 100 years ago. There is one building left of the town on the right side of the road on the way to the resivoir.

Other things we have are Snow whole in Pownal Vt which is supposedly one of those bottomless pits but it has snow in it year round even on the hottest days a popular ATV trail sight.

In Cherry Plains, NY we have a bridge where a bride got killed on her way to her wedding and the ghost will chase your car across the bridge at night. Seen it Spooky.

Speaking of spooky in Arlington VT there is a little soldier boy or drummer boy that appears at the end of the tree row at night and he runs away as you get closer to him. Seen it Spooky.

Hoosick Falls NY there is a barn on Harkin Hollow that eyes glow from the barn and the house across the road use to be abandoned not a draft in the entire house and all the curtains would move. Don't know who lives there now but you couldn't get me to live there!

Couple other cool thing I come across like cellar holes and stone walls in the middle of nowhere like the center of hundred year old forests. Historic area breads this though I guess Live close to site of the Battle of Bennington a revolutionary war battle.

Oh almost forgot about the Catamount. It is a smaller version of the mountain lion thought to have gone extinct about a hundred years ago in the area. But, recently there has been evidence of it's existance of it's reintergration. Lot of people getting photos on there game cameras and I've seen a couple of photos some guy took in his backyard of one walking across the outer hedge row. really cool it's like a size about double the size of a bobcat but looks just like a cougar or mountain lion. I imagine some enviromental agent will be doing a study on it or something to determine the population size and try to find out more about it. I would think it would have to be on the endangered species list once it's existance is verified by government agencies. This animal use to be very prevalant in this area we have schools and suburbish like areas named after it. Pretty cool over all!

Seeker
2007-08-04, 23:59
These are great! I'm not sure what legends are "native" to my local area, I'm gonna have to look into that. Keep these coming I love this stuff!

loads of good stories up there.

one i remember reading in 'hiking trails of the smokies' was about a couple men who illegally set a bear trap, i.e. without leaving the clamps nearby (in case someone stepped in it, they could get themselves out). well, of course, someone stepped in it. they found him when they ran their trapline a few days later, almost but not quite dead. but rather than face charges for illegally setting the trap, they tossed him, supposedly alive, off a cliff. i forget the name of the hilltop, probably something like Deadman's Drop or something equally imaginitive. it's somewhere close to the AT, and i'm pretty sure it was on the southwest side of newfound gap.

around here, mostly it's haunted plantation houses... not too exciting.

dropkick
2007-08-05, 01:56
When I was at Ft. Gordon I owned a house on Spirit Lane in Hepzibah, Ga.

The story behind the street name was that a man got murdered (decapitated) and had his body dumped near there in the 1930's, and occasionally his ghost would be seen.

At the end of the lane was a large undeveloped area. There used to be a race track, and a tree farm there, but when I was there it was just a large empty overgrown wild area.

Anyway, according to local legend if a dead body got dumped into this area the headless ghost would be seen walking down the lane.

The police actually took this seriously. While I was there the ghost was spotted and the next day the cops came and searched the area.
They found a body.

My 2nd spooky thing while at Gordon:

My Ex was a barmaid and because of this I was often downtown in Augusta at night. I would get tired of the bar and go out and jog/walk in the cool of the city streets. While doing this I used to come upon signs and plaques commemorating military actions from the Civil War and historical buildings.

One day I came upon a large stone pillar in the sidewalk beside the street. It was obviously old. I walked around it thinking that there had to be a plaque to tell me about it somewhere close. I found nothing.

I started to feel creepy. My hairs stood up on my body and I felt like I was being watched by something that didn't particularly like me. I left.

Later I spoke to my wife about it. She went to the closet and found an old newspaper. The newspaper had a story about the pillar.

Supposedly the pillar used to be part of an old slave market that was cursed by one of the slaves. Soon afterward a tornado took out the market except for this pillar. A few attempts were made to tear down the pillar and they ended badly for the people who tried to do this.

Years later I was looking in my local newspaper (Montana) and they had a story about a large sinkhole opening up on a Augusta street and swallowing a early morning worker and his car. They had a picture of the rear end of the car sticking up out of the hole in the street. Easily seen in the picture was the pillar.