PDA

View Full Version : I just got a new pack...

dixicritter
2007-07-19, 13:29
Yes it would appear that I have "caught the bug" :afraid: Something Rock and the boys are tickled about though.

While walking around Trail Days this year looking at all the gear on display we stopped by the Sixmoon Designs' booth and I tried on a couple of Ron's packs. I finally settled on the Essence '07 with padded hip belt with pockets. Of course, being as I'm not a tall woman we had to wait to order it. That's why I just got it this month, plus there was no hurry since Rock has been out of town. :)

Now I'm ready for when Rock gets back though and we go out on the trail again. Oh and I cut my pack weight in half (just the pack itself that is). For you gram weenies out there this new pack weighs 532 grams.

I'll let y'all know how it works out on the trail after we go out next time. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna love it though.

dropkick
2007-07-20, 02:54
Congratulations on the new pack.
Took a look at it and it looks nice.
Six Moon Designs Essence (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=44)
While Rock is away you should upgrade all your gear. Because if you can be more comfortable on your hikes it will make you happier and more fun to be around, thereby improving the hike for Rock!
You aren't buying the gear for yourself! Your buying it to make Rock happier!
Buying new gear for yourself is a selfless act, done to benefit your partner, and Rock should understand that.

Colonel Chaco
2007-07-20, 15:31
Nice pack, I too just upgrade to the Golite Pinnacle.
Congrats Dixie

toddhiker
2007-07-20, 16:05
WooHoo:beer:

Isn't it fun?

dixicritter
2007-07-20, 18:50
Thanks y'all!

Dropkick... I only buy gear on his recommendation. I know better than to try and pick it out for myself. ;) Besides when I have one of the best resources around why not take advantage of it right? :D

GGS
2007-07-21, 00:23
Nice pack, I too just upgrade to the Golite Pinnacle.
Congrats Dixie

Also my congrats to Dixicritter!

Colonel Chaco, I also purchased a Pinnacle this summer. Love it. How do you like yours?

JAK
2007-07-21, 10:56
I'll second that Woohoo and buy this next round.
Woohoo. :beer:

Have fun with it.

p.s. How many times have you packed and repacked so far?
Don't wear out the livingroom rug. ;)

deadeye
2007-07-22, 19:49
You're entering the danger zone. My brother told my wife I was a gearhead, she replied that I wasn't.

"How many packs does he have in the basement?" he queried.

She thought for a while, "Maybe six" she said sheepishly

"He's a gearhead."

Welcome to the club.:beer:

Hollowdweller
2007-07-27, 16:58
That's a really nice pack DC!!!:adore:

JAK
2007-07-29, 10:53
That's a really nice pack DC!!!:adore:
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=44

Yeah it is. I like the squareness of it. I was thinking along the same lines but with a trash can lid, but this pack has me rethinking. I like the zippers on the back with the straps to relieve stress on them. It seems to have just the right number of mesh pockets also. I would like to know what the dimensions are and how the suspension system would feel on me when loaded with 20 pounds or so. Nice pack.

JAK
2007-07-29, 11:06
I should say the reason I like the squareness is because I like to use closed cell pads and carry them inside the pack, so I like a high volume pack even though I don't carry much weight besides food. With a large square pack it is possible to cut and fold closed cell pads to fit the pack. I am thinking with the large sized Essence I could use the sides and the back of the pack, about 2 pads thick, but I am not sure of the dimesions of it. If the back was 11" or even 12" wide and the sides were 7" or even 8", then double thickness would give a length of 54" to 58" and I could use the back of the pad for my feet. If the pack is big enough I could even jam my feet and sleeping bag in there, which is warmer but also keeps my feet from rolling off the pad. Such a pack would need to be 20" tall though, for a pad to be 20" wide. It takes up a lot of space in the pack, but it also stabilizes the pack and gives it a nice shape. I am not sure how easy it would be to put the pad in after the gear though with the zipper the way it is. I could always put the pad in first, which would also give more padding, but I like to keep the weight of gear closer to my body. Anyhow, great pack. I'm sure I could work something out if it was the right size and fit.

dixicritter
2007-08-01, 01:04
OK, so I had to get a new sleeping pad for my pack, because it requires one that folds up instead of rolls. Plus it uses the pad as part of the "internal frame" for the pack. I got a Therm-a-rest Z-Lite short (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39058944&memberId=12500226)(weighs 11 ozs for those keeping up with that stuff) because that's what Rock told me would work the best. Got to the local outfitters and bought their last one today actually.

So I get home and finally start playing around with how to pack this thing, right. Well I start to discover that low and behold, everything I had in the other pack won't fit in this one. Great! At first I didn't think I was going to be able to get my hammock setup in the pack at all. I managed to make enough room for that, figured it was pretty important to have along.

However, I think what I'm going to end up having to do is replace some of my insulating layers of clothing with "thinner" versions. Right now I'm using stuff that Rock had on hand, mostly Army stuff. Probably if I get things more designed for me it'll work out better anyway. At least that's my thought.

The good thing is our next hike isn't going to be a cold weather one, and I probably won't be doing cold weather hiking anyway. At least not overnight stuff. The cold really does a number on me physically (I have Rheumatoid Arthritis), so staying warm is imperative for me. Oh well, I'm sure we'll get it figured out.