PDA

View Full Version : Gerber EAB Utility Blade Knife

TeeDee
2007-07-26, 17:21
Stopped by Wal Mart the other day and was browsing their sporting goods, hunting equipment and knives.

Spotted a new knife by Gerber:

Gerber Utility blade knife (http://www.rockynational.com/2450_22-41548_Gerber_EAB_Pocket_Knife.html)

I've been carrying one of these utility blade knives for about 3 or 4 years now. I really like them - I can get a sharp blade quickly and easily and I use the thing almost daily - cutting wall board (occasionally), cord/line/rope, opening boxes, cutting paper/cardboard, cutting/sharpening sticks, cutting electrical insulation, and lots more.

The one thing I have really disliked about the utility blade knives to date though is the weight and bulk. They are big and heavy. They are too big to carry in a pocket and just too big to comfortably clip on the waist band of my pants and they are heavy enough to pull one side of my pants down so that I feel lop sided.

Well, when I saw the Gerber entry in the utility blade knife in the showcase, I LOVED it. It is slightly bigger than the blade when folded. It is light - the box claims 2.2 oz. Haven't weighed it, but that feels right. It is small enough that I can carry it in my pocket or I can clip it to my pocket or waist band and not feel my pants being pulled down. It could even be used conveniently as a money clip, but if you have more than 3, 4 or 5 bills, the clip is so tight that it is hard to use like that.

Now I can easily and conveniently carry a utility blade knife for daily use.

Pros: light, changeable blade, blade is held securely - one Phillips head screw secures blade, liner lock easy to use (but tight and the area to push is small).

Cons: you cannot open/close one handed. You definitely need two hands to open/close this knife. There is no stud for opening - knife is too small for a stud (being small is both a pro and a con in that sense). Small - I would not use this knife to cut wall board - it is possible, but the full size utility blade knives will be much easier for that task, the full size knives are broader and thus easier on the hand for really heavy cutting. You need a small Phillips head screwdriver to change the blade - not too much of a big deal since I carry the Gerber Clutch multi-tool anyway.

Oh - and it was priced at $9.76 a really good price for an excellent Gerber knife.

Iceman
2007-07-26, 23:57
Looks way better than the other folding utility knives I have seen lately, like Craftsman, or similar.

Funny you brought this up...last night I was researching the following: http://greatnecksaw.com/includes/sts_templates/sklep/images/home_page/rhino.png

The reason I am interested in this style, is for the purpose of skinning game. For years I have searched for curved blades for skinning, to include in my razor knife in my game cleaning gear. We scored two cow elk permits for November, and I am interested in trying out blades which I can switch out quickly...

toddhiker
2007-07-27, 11:47
Stopped by Wal Mart the other day and was browsing their sporting goods, hunting equipment and knives.

Spotted a new knife by Gerber:

Gerber Utility blade knife (http://www.rockynational.com/2450_22-41548_Gerber_EAB_Pocket_Knife.html)

I've been carrying one of these utility blade knives for about 3 or 4 years now. I really like them - I can get a sharp blade quickly and easily and I use the thing almost daily - cutting wall board (occasionally), cord/line/rope, opening boxes, cutting paper/cardboard, cutting/sharpening sticks, cutting electrical insulation, and lots more.

The one thing I have really disliked about the utility blade knives to date though is the weight and bulk. They are big and heavy. They are too big to carry in a pocket and just too big to comfortably clip on the waist band of my pants and they are heavy enough to pull one side of my pants down so that I feel lop sided.

Well, when I saw the Gerber entry in the utility blade knife in the showcase, I LOVED it. It is slightly bigger than the blade when folded. It is light - the box claims 2.2 oz. Haven't weighed it, but that feels right. It is small enough that I can carry it in my pocket or I can clip it to my pocket or waist band and not feel my pants being pulled down. It could even be used conveniently as a money clip, but if you have more than 3, 4 or 5 bills, the clip is so tight that it is hard to use like that.

Now I can easily and conveniently carry a utility blade knife for daily use.

Pros: light, changeable blade, blade is held securely - one Phillips head screw secures blade, liner lock easy to use (but tight and the area to push is small).

Cons: you cannot open/close one handed. You definitely need two hands to open/close this knife. There is no stud for opening - knife is too small for a stud (being small is both a pro and a con in that sense). Small - I would not use this knife to cut wall board - it is possible, but the full size utility blade knives will be much easier for that task, the full size knives are broader and thus easier on the hand for really heavy cutting. You need a small Phillips head screwdriver to change the blade - not too much of a big deal since I carry the Gerber Clutch multi-tool anyway.

Oh - and it was priced at $9.76 a really good price for an excellent Gerber knife.

Thanks TeeDee! The tiny size will be great - Gotta go to WallyWorld:beer:

TeeDee
2007-07-27, 15:53
Looks way better than the other folding utility knives I have seen lately, like Craftsman, or similar.

Funny you brought this up...last night I was researching the following: http://greatnecksaw.com/includes/sts_templates/sklep/images/home_page/rhino.png

The reason I am interested in this style, is for the purpose of skinning game. For years I have searched for curved blades for skinning, to include in my razor knife in my game cleaning gear. We scored two cow elk permits for November, and I am interested in trying out blades which I can switch out quickly...

You can get curved/hooked (http://www.americancuttingedge.com/hook.html) utility knife blades.

The point at the end of the curve/hook is very sharp, but you could knock the point off easily with a diamond sharpener. The hooked blades are designed for flooring work I believe, but knocking the point off the hook and with care they can be a gut blade. Then you have all three uses - straight blade, rhino skinning blade and gut blade. Just change out for whichever you want at the moment. I have found the hooked blades good for removing fletching for replacement - easier without nicking the shaft.

TeeDee
2007-07-27, 21:51
One last con for the knife: ordinary utility blades don't work too well, the screw doesn't grasp them very well. You really need the thicker blades - Gerber and SuperKnife are supplied with a thicker blade that both refer to as "Contractor Grade" whatever that means. I have found that I need the "Extra Heavy Duty" blades sold by Stanley.

Ordinary blades are spec'd at 0.024". The Stanley Extra Heavy Duty blades are spec'd at 0.035" I have used my micrometer on 2 and got readings of 0.039" and 0.036". That extra 0.012" makes a big difference in how the blade fits.

The Stanley number for the Extra Heavy Duty blades is: 11-931 sold as a 5 pack at Home Depot.

Don't really know if this is really a con for the knife since both of the SuperKnife knives I own also work much, much, much better with the thicker blade. Both the SuperKnife and the Gerber are built to accommodate the thicker blades and so the thin ordinary, 0.24" thin blades don't quit fit right. They can be made to work though.

IceMan - do you know if the Rhino blade is configured to hold in the knife like a utility knife blade? If it is, then you could buy the SuperKnife and use the Rhino Blade. I have both the SuperKnife original and the SuperKnife2. The SuperKnife2 is a better knife - opens and closes easily with one hand, is secure when open (the original is also) and the clip on the 2 version is much better. The method for changing the blade in the 2 version is much better also - easier to use and more secure.

Iceman
2007-07-28, 01:56
Tee Dee, Rhino literature says it will hold a regular blade. I do already have the hooked blades, from my contracting years....they are wicked...

I also agree with your comments about upgrading to thicker blades, they are way tougher, and will not shatter easily like the cheapos. If I get any curved rhino blades, I will chime in here on there usefulness or not...thanks.

dropkick
2007-07-28, 07:53
This is kind of off topic but the blade discussion got me thinking of it.

Does anyone here carry single edge razor blades?

I carry them in my emergency gear, and I used to carry one in my wallet. It was handy and it was surprising how often I used it.

I only stopped carrying it after I had a slight run in with the cops - the run in was over nothing important or very serious, but they saw the razor blade and informed me it was considered drug paraphernalia. This surprised me, but I decided to stop carrying one.

I've been thinking that since snorting white powder is now passe' it might be ok to carry one in my wallet again.

Take-a-knee
2007-07-28, 12:11
Doug Ritter, the guy that started and maintains the www.equippedtosurvive.com website, reccommends single edges razor blades for a survival kit. What I like even better is a cut-down scalpel handle, the disposable ones are plastic, and surgical scalpel blades, they come in different sizes and shapes. I guess an exacto knife is the same thing, I've never used one.

TeeDee
2007-07-28, 20:23
I emailed gerber about the blade and finding the "Contractor Grade" blade. Their reply:

Thank you for contacting Gerber Blades. There are several blades
available that can be used for your EAB Knife and Super Knife products.
For proper fit and safety, please use the "Extra Heavy Duty" style
blades. Some of the recommended blades are:

Ace Hardware: Ace Extra Heavy Duty Blades

Lowes: ADCO Extra Heavy Duty Blades

Various Retailers: Stanley Extra Heavy Duty Blades (#11-931A)

SuperKnife Standard Contractor Utility Blades (#22-00918)

The Stanley blades are readily available from Home depot in 5 packs. I have found packs of 100 on the internet for about $22.00. I'm thinking about the 100 pack since I like a really sharp blade and change the blades often in my SuperKnife.

Take-a-knee
2007-07-28, 22:48
Ice, that superknife with either a hook (roofing) or linoleum (larger gullet) might make a good gut hook for game.

Iceman
2007-07-29, 00:04
Takeaknee, i have a guthook knife on my hip as I hunt, that I have used to open up game, I agree the linoleum blade would work awesome. I usually drag deer downhill to a road, and then truck the deer to camp for skinning. Beer is much closer there.... I have been using a carpet layers knife to help skin, it is so damned sharp-you really gotta watch out. But, I found the carpet blades were a bit too square in the corner, (even the ones with a radioused corner) and when I saw the wide swept round Rhino blade, I thought this is what I need. Nothing dismantles a deers knee or neck better than a surgically sharp carpet layers knife. I was just wondering how the blade you speak of would work on trout?

pure_mahem
2007-07-29, 03:37
This is kind of off topic but the blade discussion got me thinking of it.

Does anyone here carry single edge razor blades?

I carry them in my emergency gear, and I used to carry one in my wallet. It was handy and it was surprising how often I used it.

I only stopped carrying it after I had a slight run in with the cops - the run in was over nothing important or very serious, but they saw the razor blade and informed me it was considered drug paraphernalia. This surprised me, but I decided to stop carrying one.

I've been thinking that since snorting white powder is now passe' it might be ok to carry one in my wallet again.
I Don't believe they can bust you for paraphanalia unless you actually have some residue on the blade. But if any body is interested I have 5 kilos of illegal DEER CANE in the store this week for sale merchandised on the bottom shelf of the hunting accessories! It's Really good stuff!!! (Vermont has a no baiting law they recently passed for deer (still legal to give to deer as long as you don't shoot them when they come to it just kind of funny I only get it in just before hunting season!)) On another thought I also get a feature of spotlights to sell just before hunting season coincindence I think not! Glad to see Walmart does the ethical thing once again!

JAK
2007-07-29, 10:15
Pure mahem. It's not so funny without the graphics.
That's all right, I'm not so funny either.

Iceman. Very interesting stuff. It's not just about the guns eh. It's also about the guts. I think that's the part of hunting I am most interested in. Well the critters of course, but not just how they live and how to track them, but how to finish the job. I have decided to take up hunting on my own this fall. Tired of waiting for someone to show me. I am starting with small game, as that seems the most logical place to start. I am determined to become the fearless squirrel hunter I am within. :)

Iceman
2007-07-29, 10:23
Mayhem...it's all about choice....maybe some of your customers actually buy it to draw deer into their yard to view them. My wife buys bags of peanuts for the squirells.... Some people actually buy cigarette wrapping paper to make their own cigarettes..... Our local stores sell vehicle accessory lights which cast a blue color at night. These are illegal to display on your vehicle while in motion, but not for car shows... Don't blame wallmart, or call them unethical, because they choose to sell this stuff. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. You are starting to sound like a commie!

Out here on the Left Coast, druggist are being forced into carrying items which they may choose not to carry on the shelf, so that the customer has "choice". This is not capitalism. What happened to the druggist/businessmans choice to pick what they decide to sell..... In this case, drugists were ordered by the state pharmancy board to carry the "morning after pill", whether they want to or not.

State tells private business what to sell. This is total bullshit. This is the Left coast.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2007-07-27-contraception_N.htm

Out here, cities like the liberalsackofshit City of Seattle have chosen to force restaraunts to stop selling foods which contain certain transfats in them. Not that the transfats are banned by the FDA or anything, not that these transfats are illegal to sell, just that the city seems to know what is best for us all, and bygum, were are all going to be like each other, the government knows best. Next week they are planning to stop the sale of sourcreme because it tastes too good and makes you fat.

Out here, your choices will be limited to those that the liberal goverment officials decide is best for you. They choose for you. You hearing me?

This is an incredibly slippery slope to go down.

These movie quotes say it best...:

I've seen the future. You know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin, sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing, "I'm an Oscar Meyer wiener."

A]ccording to Cocteau's plan, I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal?

GGS
2007-07-29, 23:51
[Addressing Iceman's post]

The problem my friend is APATHY. A few fanatical individuals are allowed to make the decisions for the many because "the many" are too apathetic to follow politics, read info, and take action.

Iceman
2007-07-30, 01:21
[Addressing Iceman's post]

The problem my friend is APATHY. A few fanatical individuals are allowed to make the decisions for the many because "the many" are too apathetic to follow politics, read info, and take action.

Excellent point. Even with today's blogosphere, I wager that there is a bit too much visual (and other) stimuli, too much other stuff to do, that folks become more and more apathetic over the years.

dropkick
2007-07-30, 02:35
I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal?
OH GREAT!!!!
Yet another image I have to burn from my mind with alcohol.
:ahhhhh:

On a more serious note; I want you to know that I neither agree or disagree with your thoughts on apathy. It takes too much effort, and I really don't care one way or the other. whatever.

maverick
2007-08-08, 13:30
Tee Dee, Rhino literature says it will hold a regular blade. I do already have the hooked blades, from my contracting years....they are wicked...

I also agree with your comments about upgrading to thicker blades, they are way tougher, and will not shatter easily like the cheapos. If I get any curved rhino blades, I will chime in here on there usefulness or not...thanks.

Iceman:

I own both a Sheffield Rhino, and a Gerber utility knife.

The Rhino Blade fits in the holder of the Gerber, but the knife won't close.

The Sheffield knife is apparently made to fit ALL blades, and it closes properly. It is a better knife all together. The handle is anti-slip, and I love the 5 blades in the handle.

Right now I am using it as a standard utility knife, but the Rhino blades are ready for this fall!!!!

There is a great Rhino review on about.com. They gave it 4.5 out of 5 stars. says it's not easy to clean, it's the big con. We'll see this fall.

Iceman
2007-08-08, 23:35
Maverick, so you were already thinking the same way as I , to skin game with? I am just going to have to get some of them coming in the mail.....

maverick
2007-08-09, 01:45
Maverick, so you were already thinking the same way as I , to skin game with? I am just going to have to get some of them coming in the mail.....

I got mine at Sportsman's Warehouse! Right at the giftbar. They had a whole wall of Sheffield stuff.

Cabela's said they were going to have them this fall, but I wanted mine now. I called the guy at Sheffield for one and he said either Sportsman's Warehouse or Smoky Mountain Knife Works website. Luckily I live near a SW.

I can't wait for season to begin.

Iceman
2007-08-09, 09:00
No kidding, sportsmans wharehouse, have one close by, will have to check them out before they go out of business this fall. We have a Cabelas opening withing three miles of my house this fall! I cant wait for the hunt, or for Cabelas opening...

Did you notice the license plate on my hunting rig?

pure_mahem
2007-08-10, 23:18
I thought my brother in law had tops on Cabelas by naming his dog Cabela. Guess I have to name a child to top you both! Be right back got to go work on that!

maverick
2007-08-11, 02:53
that's great! Love that plate!

OK, I played around with my Sheffield Rhino and my Gerber Superknife today. Here are my conclusions

Handle : Adv. Sheffield Rhino. It's handle is bigger and easier to grip. It holds 5 blades in the handle. Superknifes version is not a bad handle, but I like the Lowes and Home Depot handle better (Husky).

Utility : Adv. Sheffield Rhino. I love the Rhino blades. I cannot wait to use them this fall. That being said, the standard utility blades fit in the Rhino, as well as the hook blades. This cannot be said about my superknife. Whereas the Rhino blade fit into the blade holder, the knife does NOT fold properly when the Rhino blade is in the holder.

Price : Adv. Gerber Superknife. Purchased it for $9.99 at Cabela's. Single knife with 1 blade. Aluminum handle. Sheffield Rhino was $19.99 at Sportsman's Warehouse BUT I got more knife, 6 blades. It's superior in quality, so I guess you get what you pay for? Eitherway, I find them both very well priced. Gerber knife seems more of an impulse item with the great price.

Overall, I go with the Rhino. You get more bang for your buck, and it's just an everyday knife. Hunting knife/work knife/around the house knife. $19.99, but worth it to me. I'll let you know more this fall!

TeeDee
2007-08-11, 19:11
that's great! Love that plate!

OK, I played around with my Sheffield Rhino and my Gerber Superknife today. Here are my conclusions

Handle : Adv. Sheffield Rhino. It's handle is bigger and easier to grip. It holds 5 blades in the handle. Superknifes version is not a bad handle, but I like the Lowes and Home Depot handle better (Husky).

Utility : Adv. Sheffield Rhino. I love the Rhino blades. I cannot wait to use them this fall. That being said, the standard utility blades fit in the Rhino, as well as the hook blades. This cannot be said about my superknife. Whereas the Rhino blade fit into the blade holder, the knife does NOT fold properly when the Rhino blade is in the holder.

Price : Adv. Gerber Superknife. Purchased it for $9.99 at Cabela's. Single knife with 1 blade. Aluminum handle. Sheffield Rhino was $19.99 at Sportsman's Warehouse BUT I got more knife, 6 blades. It's superior in quality, so I guess you get what you pay for? Eitherway, I find them both very well priced. Gerber knife seems more of an impulse item with the great price.

Overall, I go with the Rhino. You get more bang for your buck, and it's just an everyday knife. Hunting knife/work knife/around the house knife. $19.99, but worth it to me. I'll let you know more this fall!

I didn't know that Superknives was owned by Gerber - when did they buy Superknives?? I think you are getting confused between the Superknife and the Gerber EAB utility blade knife - they are not the same thing.

I think the Rhino and Superknife are targeted at very different kinds of purchasers. I used to carry the Superknife original and then the Superknife2 until I found the Gerber EAB utility blade knife at WalMart (by the way, Gerber emailed that they will sortly be available at other retailers - seems only WalMart had them to start).

The Superknife, and Gerber EAB knife especially, are targeted at people that carry the knife on a daily basis in their pocket or clipped to their clothes somewhere. I weighed my Superknife2: 3.5 oz, the Gerber EAB: 2.1 oz. That 1.4 oz and the extra bulk of the Superknife2 makes a big difference in the pocket or clipped to the waistband. The Superknive2 uses a lot of AL and very spare frame to get the weight down as much as possible. The Gerber could possibly be made lighter, but since the frame of the knife is already as spare as possible, I would want the strongest practical material for the frame, which is why Gerber uses Stainless Steel throughout. It makes the weight more than AL, but it also makes it stronger for the minimal frame that is used.

And yes - the handles of both the Superknife, and especially the Gerber EAB knife, are meant for lighter chores. I have used the Superknife for cutting drywall quite a few times. I would do that with the Gerber EAB knife only as a very last resort - like when trying to escape from the mad killer that invaded my home :biggrin: . The Superknife handles the chore as well as most utility knives. There are utility knives with bigger handles that would handle the chore easier on the hand and if I cut drywall on a daily basis I would get and use one of those.

However, for 99% of my daily chores that require a knife, the Gerber EAB knife handles those well and since it is so small and light, it will more likely be handy on my person. I do not walk around with a tool belt hung on my person, so I want the smallest and lightest practical knife I can get.

I notice that the Rhino weighs 5.2 oz (the web page doesn't specify whether that is with or without spare blades). Both the bulk and the extra weight of the Rhino preclude me from even considering carrying that knife on my person on a daily basis - have to get stronger braces (or a larger toolbelt :biggrin: ) before even considering doing that :biggrin: .

Thus, the Superknive and the Gerber EAB are knives meant for carrying and use on a daily basis by people that don't have special belts for carrying heavy equipment.

The Rhino is designed and meant for use in the field when you know you will (hopefully) need it. You will notice that even Sheffield sells it's own competitor (http://www.autobarn.net/12115.html) to the Superknife and it isn't the Rhino. So I think that even Sheffield acknowledges that a lot of people just aren't willing to haul the Rhino around on a daily basis. Edit: Just checked the weight of their competitor: 6 oz. Ouch. Carrying that around is going to tear a hole in your pocket :biggrin: .

So I think that you have to include intended use on doing a comparison. The Rhino, the Superknife and the Gerber EAB knives are all meant for really different uses and trying to compare them for the same task just isn't realistic for me.

maverick
2007-08-11, 20:05
I didn't know that Superknives was owned by Gerber - when did they buy Superknives?? I think you are getting confused between the Superknife and the Gerber EAB utility blade knife - they are not the same thing.

I think the Rhino and Superknife are targeted at very different kinds of purchasers. I used to carry the Superknife original and then the Superknife2 until I found the Gerber EAB utility blade knife at WalMart (by the way, Gerber emailed that they will sortly be available at other retailers - seems only WalMart had them to start).

The Superknife, and Gerber EAB knife especially, are targeted at people that carry the knife on a daily basis in their pocket or clipped to their clothes somewhere. I weighed my Superknife2: 3.5 oz, the Gerber EAB: 2.1 oz. That 1.4 oz and the extra bulk of the Superknife2 makes a big difference in the pocket or clipped to the waistband. The Superknive2 uses a lot of AL and very spare frame to get the weight down as much as possible. The Gerber could possibly be made lighter, but since the frame of the knife is already as spare as possible, I would want the strongest practical material for the frame, which is why Gerber uses Stainless Steel throughout. It makes the weight more than AL, but it also makes it stronger for the minimal frame that is used.

And yes - the handles of both the Superknife, and especially the Gerber EAB knife, are meant for lighter chores. I have used the Superknife for cutting drywall quite a few times. I would do that with the Gerber EAB knife only as a very last resort - like when trying to escape from the mad killer that invaded my home :biggrin: . The Superknife handles the chore as well as most utility knives. There are utility knives with bigger handles that would handle the chore easier on the hand and if I cut drywall on a daily basis I would get and use one of those.

However, for 99% of my daily chores that require a knife, the Gerber EAB knife handles those well and since it is so small and light, it will more likely be handy on my person. I do not walk around with a tool belt hung on my person, so I want the smallest and lightest practical knife I can get.

I notice that the Rhino weighs 5.2 oz (the web page doesn't specify whether that is with or without spare blades). Both the bulk and the extra weight of the Rhino preclude me from even considering carrying that knife on my person on a daily basis - have to get stronger braces (or a larger toolbelt :biggrin: ) before even considering doing that :biggrin: .

Thus, the Superknive and the Gerber EAB are knives meant for carrying and use on a daily basis by people that don't have special belts for carrying heavy equipment.

The Rhino is designed and meant for use in the field when you know you will (hopefully) need it. You will notice that even Sheffield sells it's own competitor (http://www.autobarn.net/12115.html) to the Superknife and it isn't the Rhino. So I think that even Sheffield acknowledges that a lot of people just aren't willing to haul the Rhino around on a daily basis. Edit: Just checked the weight of their competitor: 6 oz. Ouch. Carrying that around is going to tear a hole in your pocket :biggrin: .

So I think that you have to include intended use on doing a comparison. The Rhino, the Superknife and the Gerber EAB knives are all meant for really different uses and trying to compare them for the same task just isn't realistic for me.

Yes, I did get a bit confused. For Sportsman's useage, I would use the Rhino all day everyday.

For utility knife, I looked at the page you sent and did a bit more research. The knife you pulled up is a wood handle/brass knife. Seems to be a "premium" version of a popular knife.

Here is Sheffield's version of the Superknife. http://greatnecksaw.com/product_info.php/pName/lock-back-utility-knife

It is .6 lbs. A bit lighter than the premium version.

The big difference between the Gerber Superknife and Sheffield are the following:

Superknife = Liner Lock
Sheffield = Lockback

Superknife = Button push or "wheel" turning blade holder
Sheffield = Lift and lower one hand blade holder

Also, I found out that Sheffield does the Husky/Craftsman/Lowes version of the knife. I own the Husky not knowing it is the Sheffield version.

It's all a matter of preference, I guess.

Thanks to my pal at Knifemart.com for all the help! haha

TeeDee
2007-08-11, 21:11
Yes, I did get a bit confused. For Sportsman's useage, I would use the Rhino all day everyday.

For utility knife, I looked at the page you sent and did a bit more research. The knife you pulled up is a wood handle/brass knife. Seems to be a "premium" version of a popular knife.

Here is Sheffield's version of the Superknife. http://greatnecksaw.com/product_info.php/pName/lock-back-utility-knife

It is .6 lbs. A bit lighter than the premium version.

.6 lbs = 9.6 oz - those are very heavy knives - I have the Lowes version. It was the first version of these knives I bought. It is extremely heavy and bulky. Stopped carrying it after only a few days.They use a LOT of stainless steel in those knives.

The big difference between the Gerber Superknife and Sheffield are the following:

Superknife = Liner Lock
Sheffield = Lockback

Superknife = Button push or "wheel" turning blade holder
Sheffield = Lift and lower one hand blade holder

Yes - after using the lock back for quite a while, I found I really like the liner lock in the Superknife a lot more. The lock back require 2 hands to unlock and fold. Just plain impossible to do with one hand. The Superknife liner lock is easy to fold with one hand. Makes it possible to put the knife down without having the sharp edge exposed and creating a possible hazard. Or to pocket the knife when finished and still holding the piece worked on with the other hand. Have lost more than one knife because I "forgot" to retrieve it from the work table, ground, whatever. Being able to fold the knife one-handed, ensures that it goes directly to my pocket when done. Miss that on the Gerber.

Also, I found out that Sheffield does the Husky/Craftsman/Lowes version of the knife. I own the Husky not knowing it is the Sheffield version.

It's all a matter of preference, I guess.

Thanks to my pal at Knifemart.com for all the help! haha

maverick
2007-08-12, 12:33
I prefer liner locks, as well. They are easier to use in "one handed" situation. In fact, the only type of knife to use when doing something constructive.

maverick
2007-08-12, 13:11
This is NOT a liner lock, but I still can't wait to use it this fall! :biggrin:

http://greatnecksaw.com/images/product_images/medium/12339.jpg

TeeDee
2007-10-08, 21:24
Gerber recalled the original EAB pocket knife.

They give instructions on their web site for calling an 800 number and leaving your name and address - they send you a postage paid envelope to return the recalled knife. They send a new replacement knife. The web site suggests 4 to 6 weeks for the replacement. Don't recall exactly, but I think it took about 1 week for the replacement to arrive.

The original knife was recalled because the little piece that "covered" the bottom of the blade, didn't do a very good job.

They changed a few things, but kept the basic design intact.

On the original design, the blade rested on a little piece of stainless that was supposed to protect the fingers from the blade. On the new design, that piece has been enlarged to that it actually covers the bottom of the blade. The blade sits in a groove in that finger guard. Much more effective and offers a lot more protection.

The screw that holds the blade in the knife has been made bigger and probably stronger and easier to use.

The knife is still a liner lock design. On the original, the blade could easily unfold. On the new design, they have incorporated a method that holds the blade closed. In closing the blade, when you get it almost closed it tends to snap shut. Not really hard or anything, but enough that you know it is closed and is going to stay that way. In opening, you need to overcome that method that keeps it closed. I like that much better than the original.

Also, on opening there is a more definite "snap" when it is fully open.

I think the knife is slightly thicker than the original and a little heavier. Not objectionably so, but it does feel heftier in the hand and definitely more comfortable.

All in all I think they have improved the original design considerably and I like the new design even more.