PDA

View Full Version : The V8 stove at high elevations?

1215mch
2007-08-01, 23:08
I had just made a stove for my friend that is like the ion and the V8. We currently live in Pennsylvania and he is taking the stove to Colorado to test it and the highest peak of one of the mountains is around 14,000 ft. Will he need more fuel for each pot of water he boils (from the elevation), or will it be just fine as is? If anyone has tried the V8 stove at high elevation how much fuel did you use to boil a pot of water and around how long did the flame stay lit? Your replies will be greatly app.

dropkick
2007-08-03, 02:35
The highest elevation (that I was aware of) where I used my alc stove was around 8000 feet. While this isn't 14,000 ft. it is 2700 feet higher than Denver. It is quite likely that I've used it at higher elevations but didn't pay attention to the elevation (usually I don't).

Before I started using my alc stove I read the denatured didn't burn well at high altitudes. But I've never had a problem - maybe I'm not at what they considered a high altitude though,

The higher you get the slower things cook, but this is true with any type of cook stove. So you will use slightly more alcohol.

Conversely water boils at a lower temperature the higher you get (you lose about 2 degrees of water temperature for every thousand feet). This means if you cozy cook and use only boiling water, you will want to let the water boil for longer (in a covered pot - increases water temperature) before mixing it with the food, and possibly let it sit in the cozy longer.

If you actually plan to go to very high elevations you'll need apressure cooker (http://bargainoffers.com/catalog/hawkins-liter-aluminum-pressure-cooker-p-571.html) and possibly a different type of stove. But unless you're a mountain climber I think you'll be ok with the alcohol stove.

-On the side of caution I'd bring some breakfast bars along until I knew the stove was going to work out. (I always do that anyway)

I use a pepsi can stove with a few modifications:
1)fiberglass between the walls
2)slightly crimped edge on burner part of stove (like a stove pipe) for ease of assembly - done with a pair of needle nose pliers
3)used two can bottoms no tops
4)no glue or tape used - cut burner and bottom same height, that way the bottom just barely goes over the top edge of the burner and when crimped over by running a screwdriver handle around it, it locks them together
--Unlike Sgt. Rock's sideburner Turbo V-8 I went with smaller burner holes on top as I think I get better flames once the stove warms up and it achieves some pressure (used a pin and a hammer).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverage-can_stove
http://zenstoves.net/BasicTopBurner.htm

xroader
2007-08-17, 22:43
Over the July 4th weekend I took my newly built beer can stove hiking in the Pecos (NM) I think we camped at about 10500 ft and it worked great - I had water boiling before my brother had even got his whisper-lite stove lit. I do think I used a little more fuel than on the coast, but a full stove (about 1 oz denatured alc) was more than enough to boil 20oz of water for cooking (boil for 5 min w/ lid) and heat another 20oz for cleaning up (or to fry up the ONE trout I caught the whole weekend).

Since the stove weighs over 17 oz less than my peak-1 I don't mind carring a little extra fuel to be on the safe side.

Good hiking.