PDA

View Full Version : Are we wimps?

KBob
2007-08-05, 08:55
After looking at some old backpacking images at a cool website:
http://www.pbase.com/mad_monte1/pct_1977_retro_thruhike and rereading Colin Fletcher, do we really need tents and hammocks? I remember sleeping out in the open, why did we change?

CoyoteWhips
2007-08-05, 09:26
I dunno. After looking at those photos, I have to think a 70s packer would look at today's lite version and say, "Where's all your stuff?"

TeeDee
2007-08-05, 17:15
After looking at some old backpacking images at a cool website:
http://www.pbase.com/mad_monte1/pct_1977_retro_thruhike and rereading Colin Fletcher, do we really need tents and hammocks? I remember sleeping out in the open, why did we change?

I didn't change at all :biggrin:

But I can tell you for sure, the absolute truth:

SOMEBODY RATCHETED UP THE CONTROL ON GRAVITY AND INCREASED IT.

All the increased gravity is doing terrible things to the ground - it is getting packed down harder and harder, solid stone. Yes sir, it is now all solid stone. Once the gravity had packed it down too much, I really had to switch to a hammock - ahhhh blessed relief. Going to have swap out the suspension rope for stronger rope, that increasing gravity is getting out of hand.

Also, the increased gravity is doing horrible things to my pack, just absolutely horrible things.

And I won't even discuss all the horrible things, just absolutely horrible things, that increased gravity is doing to my body - I'm going to sue that woman, Mother Nature. She is just going too far with this increased gravity and ruining my body. Yes Sir, have to find myself a good lawyer and sue her. Somebody has to pay for all those medical bills.

dropkick
2007-08-05, 23:44
Rain, sleet, and snow?
That's why I started using a tent. I also used a tarp and a homemade bivy bag - depending on the circumstances.

Started using the hammock because of the gravity increase.

Have you noticed that the air is thinner too?
Sometimes I catch myself huffing and puffing while walking up hills I used to run up.
The only logical explanation is the increased gravity in conjunction with the thinner air.
I've heard other theories about why this is, but this is the only one that makes any sense.

-I still have a big external frame pack, a 7 lb canvas/flannel/chicken feather sleeping bag, and a pair of waffle stompers in my closet. - I could be those '70s hikers.
-I also used to carry a cast iron skillet* tied to my pack. Didn't know the meaning of ultralite or even lite.

*Did all my cooking over a fire - cast was the only way to go.

Spice1
2007-08-06, 11:23
I don't know if we are wimps or not...

but I know those were some hippy lookin backpackers.

Those pack's weren't heavy, that was their five month supply of weed. ;)

Streamweaver
2007-08-06, 11:36
Its a simple fact, They carried that big heavy gear back then because its pretty much all there was! If they had the ultralight stuff ,you can bet they would have carried it! Most anyway. :beer:

KBob
2007-08-06, 18:32
Yes they had some big packs but my thread idea was that in the old days we used to sleep under the stars, no tent no hammock. There is one photo of a guy and his girfriend sleeping under the stars. If I remember right an old girlfriend and I used to sleep under the stars and I don't ever remember being cold. With the wife sleeping under the stars I probably would be cold!!!

SGT Rock
2007-08-07, 15:05
Yes, we are wimps. I got over it already though

oops56
2007-08-07, 16:00
KBob what's your wife's e mail address??

deadeye
2007-08-07, 16:41
Wimps? Hardly. I sleep under the stars whenever the weather is right, as did Mr. Fletcher. Show me a picture of someone sleeping comfortably without a shelter when the mosquitos are swarming or the rain's coming down, and then I'll admit to being a wimp.

GGS
2007-08-07, 17:15
But I can tell you for sure, the absolute truth:

SOMEBODY RATCHETED UP THE CONTROL ON GRAVITY AND INCREASED IT.

Well that explains why my waistline is expanding... I'm not getting fat, just flattening out under my own weight due to increased gravity...

Take-a-knee
2007-08-07, 22:59
I attended a "marksmanship" course many years ago at Ft. Bragg. Master SGT Boucher walked into the classroom the first day, curtly introduced himself, then walked over to the blackboard. He drew a vertical line in the middle of the board, then a capital H on one side, then an S on the other. He then pointed to the line and asked if any could identify it...none were stupid enough to hazard a guess. He then told us that the line represented the "fine line between being hard and being stupid". MSG Boucher then looked at the young Rangers in the class and said, "Try not to cross that line for the next six weeks".

I have endeavored to live by that sage advice. Carrying needless weight isn't manly or macho, it is just plain stupid.

jimtanker
2007-08-08, 04:10
I prefer to think that we've gotten smarter not any less rugged.

I CAN sleep under the stars (done it plenty of times) and get bit by every creepy crawley that is out there. I CHOOSE not to.

doug12
2007-08-08, 04:17
I was (and still am) one of those hippy backpackers. I did ultralight back then - a pack smaller than a book bag, a poncho for shelter, no stove, pots or pans - and got eaten alive by bugs, froze my ass and never slept well. I now use (for 30+ years) a frame pack and carry a tent. To paraphrase Nessmuk, I do not go in the woods to rough it. I get it rough enough at home.

S[peaking only for myself I could best reduce my load by getting rid of the excess material I carry around all the time....

Iceman
2007-08-08, 23:43
The last time I slept on the ground, no tent, I slept lousy, too many mice running over you, around you...mosquitos'...no fun. I will stay with the tent...

pure_mahem
2007-08-10, 22:15
Look out you people have given birth to an idea and I will be expecting child support in the future! Hike naked! Although this may require carrying extra weight with all the xtra DEET! And lots of Crisco in the winter!

Always walk on the trail! You do not want an unexpected tree branch or briar bush to come back and slap something important!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

This would completely eliminate the awkward point of what to say to start a conversation on the trail, people are either going to run from you or get real real close!

I can only think of one real problem where would you keep your bag!:canabis:

Hollowdweller
2007-08-12, 22:48
I attended a "marksmanship" course many years ago at Ft. Bragg. Master SGT Boucher walked into the classroom the first day, curtly introduced himself, then walked over to the blackboard. He drew a vertical line in the middle of the board, then a capital H on one side, then an S on the other. He then pointed to the line and asked if any could identify it...none were stupid enough to hazard a guess. He then told us that the line represented the "fine line between being hard and being stupid". MSG Boucher then looked at the young Rangers in the class and said, "Try not to cross that line for the next six weeks".

I have endeavored to live by that sage advice. Carrying needless weight isn't manly or macho, it is just plain stupid.

Great story T-A-K!:adore: