PDA

View Full Version : DIY Ultralite Tripod

Blues Brothers
2007-08-08, 15:12
I recently found the following website that shows how to make a camera mount out of a water bottle cap allowing a hiker to use their water bottle as a tripod...

http://www.jakeludington.com/project_studio/20040723_diy_bottle_cap_tripod.html

Because I typically hike with wide mouth Gatorade bottles, I adapted/reduced the design to only include 1 washer, a shorter stainless screw, and a lock nut. The wide based Gatorade bottle adaptation works BETTER than the version posted above for obvious reasons. I have yet to find a lighter tripod though I am currently searching for an aluminum washer, screw, and nut to shave it down a little more and further prevent corrosion. :biggrin:

If you are the type of person that would rather buy a manufactured bottle cap tripod, here is the link....

http://www.semsons.com/botcaptripfo.html

This one works on both small mouth and large mouth bottles (sink it into the opening of a gatorade bottle) and has a nice feature allowing a tilt of the camera (cost: $10.99 versus the $1 I spent on the home made one).

JAK
2007-08-08, 21:07
At first the water bottle idea doesn't seem that great,
that is might not be that stable on uneven surfaces,
that is, until you fill the waterbottle up with water.

I have wondered if tall wood stoves might also be stabilized by filling their base, which might be a water container, with water, which could also serve to preheat the water. You can't always find rocks or sand, but you can always find water, or at least if you can't then you have far more serious and fundamental problems than making tea or taking pictures.

oops56
2007-08-08, 21:31
Do you mean water in a tent stove there be to much condensation

SGT Rock
2007-08-12, 20:25
Neat idea, but my current issue is how to put a tripod attachement onto a digital camera that doesn't have a point for one.

Amigi
2007-08-12, 20:32
Neat idea, but my current issue is how to put a tripod attachement onto a digital camera that doesn't have a point for one.

Lol, I just looked at my Pentax. It doesnt have one either... shite.

SGT Rock
2007-08-12, 20:46
I've been contemplating trying JB weld or super glue to add a nut to the bottom.

Cerberus
2007-08-12, 21:09
I've been contemplating trying JB weld or super glue to add a nut to the bottom.

No reason not to, unless you plan on selling it anytime. You could even put one on the side of the camera too so you can take taller pictures without as adjustable tripod.

Iceman
2007-08-12, 23:29

3M Velcro, the good stuff.

Cerberus
2007-08-13, 00:08
Reading this thread got me to think about a tripod for my thru hike next year. I like the water bottle idea, but I will be carrying a 16 oz. bottle and collapsible platys. The water bottle may not be sturdy enough to hold a camera. The idea I got was to use my cook pot. I use a KMart grease pot, which is very common now (that or the WalMart one). I will take the plastic handle off, and find a bolt about 1/2 inch long that will fit my camera tripod mount. Then I will take that bolt, and a wing nut, and use it as my lid for my cook pot. When I want a tripod, I just remove the wingnut and screw on the camera. Just the lid alone is wide enough for a very stable platform, and the pot would give it the height I may need. That would make the camera mount milti purpose, and something I can't lose since I know where my cookpot is, and no small parts to keep up with at all times.

As long as I am not cooking when the need for a tripod arises I will be set.

dropkick
2007-08-13, 01:36
Don't know where you could find one (camera shop, eBay?) as I don't remember where mine came from, but I have a lightweight aluminum clamp with an adjustable camera attachment on it. I got it to use with my 35mm.

When I decide to lug the 35mm around I usually just leave the clamp attached to it.

It is indispensable. I can attach it to car windows (w/ padding), trees, my hiking staff, etc.

I also use it occasionally with my spotting scope.

If you're going to make something to hold a digital camera I would consider attaching the bolt to a lightweight plastic clamp instead as it would give you more options for set up.

-Just had a thought, if you need to mount a nut to the camera why not use a plastic nut and a plastic bolt? Lightweight and I know that they have them at my local hardware store.

CoyoteWhips
2007-08-13, 09:07
Just for reference, my pocket tripod weighs 1.7 ounces (51 grams). It has a tilt swivel, so a little easier to point than a fixed head tripod.

I wonder if this cell phone tripod (http://www.photoetconline.com/mitrcephho.html) would work for your digital cameras without a mount?

SGT Rock
2007-08-13, 10:07
Well my "camera" is a cell phone. Up until recently I have hated the idea of carrying a cell phone into the wilderness, but since the number of pay phones across the US is drastically shrinking I had to re-think my position. So I got one of these:

http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=global&lc=en&ver=4001&template=pp1_1_1&zone=pp&lm=pp1&pid=10376

It is a 2.2MP camera with a light so I can take pix at night, also has an FM radio, MP3 player, and can digitally send pix (I haven't set that up yet). I figure it can work for me on my thru to stay in touch and send home pictures as I take them to keep the family in the loop. The other cool thing is you can turn off the phone functions - a featured designed so you can still use it as an MP3 player while on an airplane. The only thing I haven't been able to do is figure out how to hook it up to one of my ultrapods - and that tripod CW just showed wouldn't work for this phone/camera because of where the lense is. So that is one thing I still have to work out.

Amigi
2007-08-13, 20:47
Solid phone choice, Rock. To me, I dont need all the BS of an iphone, and if I was to go a little more high tech, that's the phone I was debating buying.

SGT Rock
2007-08-13, 21:54
Solid phone choice, Rock. To me, I dont need all the BS of an iphone, and if I was to go a little more high tech, that's the phone I was debating buying.

I haven't regretted it a second. I also got myself two extra Li-Ion batteries for it off of e-bay and payed more in shipping than I did for the batteries, but for both plus shipping it was still less than buying them from the company and the batteries seem to have the same life as the one that came with the phone - so no bad chineese knockoffs:y:

I

Take-a-knee
2007-08-14, 00:13
I believe I've read that Li-ion batteries don't have to be completely discharged before you stick them on a charger, so you can "top them off" when it is convenient. Speaking of which, how do you plan to charge them on the trail? Oh, and it is good to have you posting again, especially since it is your site.

SGT Rock
2007-08-14, 03:41
I have a charger that plugs into 110, I am making an assumption at this point that I can last about a week or so on three and charge them when I stop at a hostel, hotel, or where ever on that once a week stop - even if it is at a resturaunt and I pick a booth near an outlet to eat at. I've found they charge fairly rapidly on the charger. The whole system for batteries, phone, belt clip and charger is fairly light at about 7.74 ounces. My plan for the tripod is to figure out a way to attach the tripod to the belt clip by either tapping a hole in it or attaching a nut to it that fits the tripod threads.

GGS
2007-08-14, 17:38

Interesting. I didn't realize they made cameras that did not have a threaded mounting point on the bottom. My 35mm Canon, all the camcorders, my Olympus, even the ancient digital camera at work that takes like 16 AA batteries all have a female threaded mounting point at the bottom.

SGT Rock
2007-08-18, 18:06
Well for my DIY project related to this - I was able to create a threaded hole on my camera belt clip that can attache to the threaded mount on my ultrapod. No weight added and now I can use the tripod again.

Amigi
2007-08-18, 20:26
Interesting. I didn't realize they made cameras that did not have a threaded mounting point on the bottom. My 35mm Canon, all the camcorders, my Olympus, even the ancient digital camera at work that takes like 16 AA batteries all have a female threaded mounting point at the bottom.

I've had my Pentax Optio for abour 4 years. It's VERY water resistant, and takes better pics than most of the more expensive camera's I've tested. It does in fact have a way to remove a panel and install a thumbnail sized gadget with a female thread. This is my hiking camera and since it gets dirt, mud, rain, sweat, etc all over it, I doubt I could keep the thread clean inside the camera, however Rock's idea of a nut on the bottom that I could just wash out with water would work. Next overnight\week out trip I'll modify it and test it.

SGT Rock
2007-08-19, 10:09
FWIW I tried installing the nut with super glue and that didn't stick to the metal well. The next step would have been JB Weld. But then I got an idea how to tap a hole into the belt clip and the problem was gone for me. For your camera I would probably try and find some similar plastics and do some teste before trying to affix the screw.

pure_mahem
2007-08-31, 23:59
Seen a couple of different emergency crank flashlights that offer adapters to charge cell phones... I think it was at walmart for about $10 but I'm sure there are even cheaper options available on ebay

Blues Brothers
2007-09-01, 16:17
Well for my DIY project related to this - I was able to create a threaded hole on my camera belt clip that can attache to the threaded mount on my ultrapod. No weight added and now I can use the tripod again.

Good thinking rock, very creative....

Nightwalker
2007-10-01, 22:08
Neat idea, but my current issue is how to put a tr**** attachement onto a digital camera that doesn't have a point for one.

So, Rock, why do you have I.P.O.D. as a dirty word? Does the discussion of electronics cause too many arguments? What's next? Canister or propane, maybe? :D

Take-a-knee
2007-10-01, 22:31
So, Rock, why do you have XXXX as a dirty word? :D

SO WE DON'T GET SPAMMED!

Iceman
2007-10-01, 23:56
Well, we still get spammed, it just looks cooler now.....

I am really sick of the geeting Pi***d on by those F***ing C**ts, S**tting up the site with their Mo**erF******g C****u****g adds. (I got six of the seven, you cants say on tv in one sentence, George Carlin would be proud...)

Sorry.

dixicritter
2007-10-02, 06:47
LOL... good job Iceman.

Yes we are trying to cut down on the spam, but sadly it doesn't seem to be working out quite like we'd hoped. Although it is kinda funny to see their spam posts with all those censored words in them now. :D

Oh and I just fixed it where tripod would show up again.

Nightwalker
2007-10-03, 07:17

I think they spell that Shiite. But I'm a real Kurd myself. Or something like that.

I've been reading 4 online hiking discussion websites for the last few days. I haven't gotten much else done. Geeze...

Nightwalker
2007-10-03, 07:20
Well, we still get spammed, it just looks cooler now.....

I am really sick of the geeting Pi***d on by those F***ing C**ts, S**tting up the site with their Mo**erF******g C****u****g adds. (I got six of the seven, you cants say on tv in one sentence, George Carlin would be proud...)

Sorry.

Ex mil, con or biker? I'm all three, but that's a rarity. :)

Iceman
2007-10-03, 09:53
Criminal Justice. I just can't swear like that at work! :biggrin:

Rob Rohde-Szudy
2007-10-26, 11:14
Hey Sarge, Cyanoacrylate won't stick well to the plastic used for most of these cell phone accessories. JBWeld is the safest bet, since it's (thickened) epoxy.

For a tripod this might interest you: http://www.diyphotography.net/diy_the_spiderpod_a_modification_of_the_wire_tripo d Wrap it around a tree or whatever and bend to any orientation needed. And of course you have some copper wire if you need it too.

--Rob

SGT Rock
2007-10-26, 12:38
Thanks, but I already solved the issue. Instead of attachink a nut to the body, I drilled a hole in the body of the belt clip and threaded it so I can screw the clip onto the tripod. I ought to take some pictures.