PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Backpacker Magazine?

KBob
2007-08-12, 18:10
The global warming issue? What a bunch of crap. They used to have some interesting articles, but after this issue I may what to rethink giving them my money for the rag. Hey guys stay out of left wing politicos and bring us the outdoors.

Amigi
2007-08-12, 20:30
But Al Gore said so...

SGT Rock
2007-08-12, 20:44
Cancel your subscription. I did a long time ago and never regretted it. Occasionally I get one when someone recommends an issue.

Hollowdweller
2007-08-12, 22:45
I don't really think Global Warming is a left or right issue. I would say that the politicians who generally discount it are Republicans, but I think that is more of a function of the GOP being in control of congress for so long and getting so much money from energy concerns.

If the Democrats remain a majority you will probably see the same thing, or back room stalling on any bills to limit emissions because they will be getting that money.

That said while I could see a small article in a Backpacking magazine about the issue, much the same as gun magazines have articles about the gun control legislation, I think a whole issue is going overboard. A backpacking magazine should be mostly about backpacking.

dropkick
2007-08-13, 01:45
I usually enjoy the magazine. After reading them I save them in my bathroom and reread the articles, but this one went straight to the trash.

deadeye
2007-08-13, 10:09
I usually enjoy the magazine. After reading them I save them in my bathroom and reread the articles, but this one went straight to the trash.

Ditto. I think I'll go back to just buying the gear issue.

KBob
2007-08-13, 11:02
Of course they still carried ads about SUVs and International travel, supposely two prime sources of carbon emissions,

deadeye
2007-08-13, 14:40
Of course they still carried ads about SUVs and International travel, supposely two prime sources of carbon emissions,

That's exactly what I told my wife... not only was there a full page ad for a Jeep, they had it parked in the middle of a beautiful mountain stream, ready for the law to pounce.

The worst of it is that it's going to turn people off. You don't have to buy into the current global warming scare/craze/fad to realize that we are rapidly consuming finite resources at a tremendous cost to our environment (check out the brown haze next time you fly), and our country (would we be in Iraq without oil? Ask the folks in Darfur).

The effects of what we spew into the air and water are unknown, but they can't be good, and the focus on catastrophic climate change alienates so many people that it's backfiring against the general environmental "movement" for lack of a better word.

GGS
2007-08-13, 17:27
My 2 cents

It WAS informative to see just how global warming could affect our beloved wilderness areas.

I DON'T really want to read about it in Backpacker. Or at least they didn't have to devote a whole damned summer issue to it. An article, maybe, the whole December issue, OK, but I think they way overdid it.

Be interesting to read the letters to the editor in the upcoming issue.