PDA

View Full Version : Good News, Bad News (maybe)...

SGT Rock
2007-08-21, 10:32
Good News - I officially came out on the promotion list to Sergeant Major today. As NCOs go that is the top of the food chain - nothing but appointments to positions after that, this would be top of the pay scale. But to take it would mean about 3-4 more years in the Army - and I am not sure I want to do that anymore. I want to retire and be a trail bum.

Bad News (maybe) - I don't yet have an approved retirement. This means they can deny it and I have to stay in. BUT they haven't officially denied it yet, so there is still a chance.

Keep your fingers crossed...

Hollowdweller
2007-08-21, 10:38
Sgt.

I got my fingers crossed for you to be able to retire.

I can retire at 55 and as SOON as I can I am going to.

A lot of people I work with say they want to stay on to make more money, but I'd rather be time rich as long as I can grow a garden and pay my basic bills.:adore:

JAK
2007-08-21, 11:18
Congratulations.
But no matter what, you're the Rock.

Before we decide anything too serious in life,
We should go for a walk in the woods, or in the snow.
Most times we should just keep going. ;)

oops56
2007-08-21, 16:24
I retired at 62 now 64 3/4 just love it no boss all bills paid out of debt and do as i please. Some things are getting behind but there is tomorrow right??

Grandpa Bob
2007-08-21, 16:59
Occasionally great news causes a reflective pause. I think you are in a super situation--any decision you make is a good one. You can reach the top rung of a great career or pursue a new phase of life that you have looked forward to for years. Of course that assumes the Army will release you and that the current conflict will not continue forever.

I retired at 22 years active duty and only regret that I did not get out at 20. I wanted to thru-hike at retirement in 1989, but financial considerations precluded it. Ended up taking my hike in 2005, after completing a second career in education. So there are always options if you don't mind waiting until you are 60 years of age.

I wish you well on what you decide. I will be following your future decisions regardless. Good luck.

GRANDPA BOB

dixicritter
2007-08-21, 18:23
I just want to go on record as one of the proudest critters around these parts today. I've been telling him he would make the list, but he wouldn't listen to me. ;)

As to what happens next... The kids and I will continue to support Rock 100% no matter the outcome as we always have! Whatever is meant to be will be.

Take-a-knee
2007-08-21, 21:55
Yeah, I figured he'd make the list, Ft Bliss ain't so bad, but I believe he said you guys had already been there so you know that. What I don't understand is how they can tell you that you can't retire, is there still a stop-loss? Is it just that you have time left on your last enlistment and , as such, they don't have to let you retire until that enlistment is up?

SGT Rock
2007-08-22, 02:04
Naw, the deal now is I am indefinate. That means I had until 2011, now (because of the list) I have until 2015. That means anything early is on the good graces of the Army. This is sort of like an assignment in a way - they can say I have to go anyway.

KBob
2007-08-22, 06:36
I retired in 94 after 24 years and never looked back, and never missed it. Don't know how your guys put up with all the deployments and the PC crap of today. I don't understand indefinate. Used to be when you had 20 your could retire, period.

JAK
2007-08-22, 07:18
I retired at 62 now 64 3/4 just love it no boss all bills paid out of debt and do as i please. Some things are getting behind but there is tomorrow right??I pay some of my bills out of debt also. ;)

SGT Rock
2007-08-22, 08:44
Well you could retire - except retirement always had to be approved - it is a favorable action like an award or something. So you could get out at ETS without drawing retirement pay if you didn't get it approved.

The indefiniate thing went into effect about 8 years ago I think. Basically if you are an E6 over 10, the next time you go to re-enlist you do it for the last time. After that enlistment you are on the same deal as an officer - indefinate status. At that point you can request to get out prior to your Retention Control Point (RCP). Based on a few factors they can deny it, but rarely do. I am in one of those rare positions where they sometimes do.

SGT Rock
2007-08-22, 11:34
I just got the word - Retirement approved. I am now on a career path of trail Bum.

Thudley
2007-08-22, 11:55
Congrats on retirement, Sarge! You've obviously had a rewarding career. It's important to note that your career has also been very rewarding for those of us not now serving. On behalf of we "homefronters"...Thank you, and Well Done. :gob_beer

I hope to meet you along the trails someday and exchange some BS.

All the best to you & DixieCritter,

Ed

JAK
2007-08-22, 12:00
That's Top Sergeant Trail Bum to us.
Congrats. :beer:

incognito
2007-08-22, 13:22
:elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :elefant:

I knew there was more I could say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GGS
2007-08-22, 15:54
I just got the word - Retirement approved. I am now on a career path of trail Bum.

Congratulations, Sarge!

KBob
2007-08-22, 16:04
Congrats on the retirement, what is the date?

TeeDee
2007-08-22, 17:22
Congratulations and Thank You for the service you have performed. And to all others retired and active.

Frolicking Dino
2007-08-22, 23:02
::: Dino does cartwheels all the way to Rock and Dixie's house where she happy dances the driveway :::

Bear
2007-08-22, 23:25
Congratulations Rock and thank you for your service to our country and to Dixie for holding down the fort while you were gone.:beer:

SGT Rock
2007-08-23, 08:06
Thanks ya'll. Now I have to get myself ready for the hiking bum career. 155 days to go.

CoyoteWhips
2007-08-23, 09:18
155 and a wake up!

Man, that's gonna seem weird after all those years, isn't it? It won't be PT anymore -- just an old guy running and singing.

Take-a-knee
2007-08-23, 14:41
Coyote, it is still PT, even when you are old like me. Oh... congrats on the retirement Top Rock!

Skidsteer
2007-08-24, 18:36
Great news, Rock!

Amigi
2007-08-25, 06:15
The AT will never be the same...

Congrats bro. But I'm pretty sure Dixie is even happier than you.

dixicritter
2007-08-25, 09:05
The AT will never be the same...

Congrats bro. But I'm pretty sure Dixie is even happier than you.

You might could say that. :D

At least until he hangs around the house too long.... LOL.

SGT Rock
2007-08-25, 09:07
In case I didn't mention it here. I am apointing myself to the position of "First Sergeant AT Company"

Take-a-knee
2007-08-25, 09:46
That's pretty cool man!

Amigi
2007-08-25, 12:17
Lol at the Rock. Very cool indeed.

Geo.
2007-08-25, 19:04
Congrat's Sgt. Rock. Good decision - I took early retirement after 27yrs in the Fire Dept., and got out on a lesser pension, as I figured I wanted to take the opportunity of having more years to wander about outdoors while I was still fit and young enough to get the most out of it.
(Doing what I like doing but with less money, has been a real good option for me and I haven't regretted it!) ;)
Good on you.
George