PDA

View Full Version : HH in Skins

Inimicus
2007-09-06, 10:21
Hi all.

Due in large part to the info I found on this site (thanks to Sarge and everyone, you've already been more help to a neophyte than you'll ever know) Ive just recently purchased a HH Explorer Asym and Snake Skins. My question is this:

How do you pack it most efficiently while its in the skins? Most of my attempts have resulted in a "bundle" thats larger and more bulky than if I simply folded the hammock and put it in the bag it came in. In just over a week I'm hitting the trail with it for the first time and would like some advice on how to minimize the space in my pack that the hammock will take up.

Thanks in advice for any help you guys might provide.

Take-a-knee
2007-09-06, 11:21
Many of use here have given up on skins for the hammock, we now use a "Black Bishop Sack" named for it's originator over at Hammock Forums. It it simply a stuff sack with a small hole in the bottom that you slip over the foot end Hennessy rope and just leave it in place. If you use a bottom quilt for insulation (and you will eventually) you just stuff everything in the sack when you pack up. You never have to look for it and it gives the foot of the hammock a little protection from wind blown rain. Most of us are not storing the tarp with the hammock anymore. My next project is to sew a mesh pocket on the back of my Granite Gear pack to store my tarp. A lot of guys still use skins for the tarp so that it can be strung and left stowed on a clear night and easily deployed if needed.

Mutinousdoug
2007-09-06, 17:13
I haven't seen the "BlackBishop" sack although it seems like a good idea, so I'm still using skins on my HH Asym. I have found, though, that tying the "skinned" HH vertically around my pack between the frame and the pack (external frame) rather than putting it inside is easier and leaves more room for important stuff in there.

SGT Rock
2007-09-06, 17:23
I still like my skins.

toddhiker
2007-09-06, 17:52
I still like my skins.

Me too.:biggrin: Not prepared to give 'em up yet.

TeeDee
2007-09-06, 17:58
I still like the skins better than the sack, easier for me than the sack and I can keep the hammock covered until I have it fully hung. Of course I don't keep my top quilt in the hammock when stored like some do with the sack.

There is a video made by shane steinkamp somewhere on the internet that shows how to roll the hammock to avoid what you are experiencing. Essentially you start on one end, start rolling the hammock on the bias, tucking the tie out cords into the roll. when you have rolled to the ridge line, pull the skins on that end to the end of the roll. Then continue rolling, taking up the rest of the hammock and the second tie out cord. When you have the hammock fully rolled on the bias, pull the second skin.

Found the pictures shane posted. It's not a video, but still very good at showing how to skin the hammock:

skinning the hammock (http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/hhsnakes.htm)

deadeye
2007-09-07, 21:47
I like my skins, and Shane's instructions for using them work fine - his instructions for the hammock in general are right on. The key is to get plenty of hammock stuffed in the start of the skin so you're not trying to squeeze a big lump of material into the middle. I pack the tarp separately from the skins. I just fold the 'snake' into a big cinnamon bun and stuff it into my pack. If anticipating rain when setting up, I put the hammock nearer the top, under the lid, for quicker access.

MrSparex
2007-09-09, 20:39
I'm expecting an Asym Expedition in the mail Monday (with skins). I gave up on finding a 3* tent that I liked and could afford.

Take-a-knee
2007-09-09, 20:49
You'll never regret the hammock decision, they do, however have a learning curve, especially when it is cold. A lot of guys have worked the system out, you just have to do like I did and follow their advice.

Rosaleen
2007-09-10, 07:52
Tom H. often suggests simply coiling the skin-covered hammock in the bottom of a pack. I wind mine around my forearm (wrist to elbow direction) then slip it down the side of my pack, lengthwise, opposite my 2 or 3 L water container. I've stopped carrying my filled water bladder inside my pack because it seemed to cause more probl;ems than it solved. The hammock, along with a quart bottle with water helps balance the load from side to side. In this position, the hammock is easy to grab when I need it.

Rosaleen

Inimicus
2007-09-10, 11:00
Thanks for the tips.

Spent a bunch of time in the backyard with it this past weekend trying both the stuffsack/separately skinned tarp config and the standard setup with the "new" rolling technique in TeeDee's link and I think I'm going with the latter for this first trip.

I had problems with the separate tarp and hammock technique in getting the tarp properly placed without hanging the hammock first. I had to go back after the hammock was up and move the tarp a few inches this way or that to get the hammock centered. I guess I need a bigger tarp to be real successful with that method.

I did get my first couple of nights sleep in my hammock though and all I can say is WOW! Ill never sleep on the ground again.

BillyBob58
2007-10-01, 00:37
Thanks for the tips.

Spent a bunch of time in the backyard with it this past weekend trying both the stuffsack/separately skinned tarp config and the standard setup with the "new" rolling technique in TeeDee's link and I think I'm going with the latter for this first trip.

I had problems with the separate tarp and hammock technique in getting the tarp properly placed without hanging the hammock first. I had to go back after the hammock was up and move the tarp a few inches this way or that to get the hammock centered. I guess I need a bigger tarp to be real successful with that method.

I did get my first couple of nights sleep in my hammock though and all I can say is WOW! Ill never sleep on the ground again.

Are you using your HH with the tarp attached to the hammock suspension as originally designed? Most don't do that any more, most attache to trees. But if you do, watch the video of the cute gal at the HH website breaking camp with the SuperShelter. In the blink of an eye, at least after she removes the underpad and such, she rolls the entire undercover and tarp up in the skins. It's neat to watch- pay attention to how she handles that tarp! After watching this, I have done it myself many times- tarp/undercover and all into #4 skins. It works just as smooth as it looks in the video.

Keep in mind that if you wanted to tie to the trees, especially in really bad weather, you could still do that after the tarp/hammock is unrolled from the skins and the tarp centered on the supension. At the point you could run a line from one or both ends to the trees and release from the suspension.

http://www.hennessyhammock.com/breakcamp.html

Having said that, Tom has told me that when he is using the SuperShelter, he does not use skins anymore except on the tarp only. I think he was referring to using the large hex tarp, and he ties to trees. Then at break down, he takes the entire supershelter with all components AND his sleping bag, after untieing one end he just starts stuffing that end into his pack or large stuff sack, until it's all in there.