PDA

View Full Version : Sarong as male campwear?

dropkick
2007-09-07, 01:35
Don't really know how I ended up on a Wiki page for men's sarongs around the world, but off of it I ended up looking at the link below.
http://www.expat.or.id/info/howtowearasarong.html

Anyway, I was looking at how this guy was using his sarong and thought "That might be a handy piece of campwear." I'm seriously considering sewing myself a tube of cloth and giving it a try.

The only drawback I can see is the strange looks I'd get and the hassles I'd have to put up with from friends and family.

CoyoteWhips
2007-09-07, 10:31
There's useful information there. Over the weekend, as the night's air chilled, I turned a fleece blanket into a comfy sarong. Yeah, it looked like a fluffy skirt, but in the woods nobody cares.

dropkick
2007-09-08, 01:17
Been giving it some further thought and what I think I'm going to do is sew a sheet a bit over halfway lengthwise
(stopped and did a quick drawing instead - attachment - it's a lot easier to understand than my explanation would have been)

Anyway If I do that I'll have a longer length sarong that I can also use as a sleeping bag liner. -I normally sew my bag liners so they don't end up a bunched up mess during the night, I'll just leave the bottom unsewn.

TeeDee
2007-09-08, 21:29
That is very interesting. I heard before about sarongs being very versatile. You might get to the point that you would even be comfortable hiking with one. If it is rolled more to make it even shorter - how much different would it be from a kilt? Since it is longer, it may even be more versatile than a kilt.

Did you find dimensions anywhere?

john pickett
2007-09-10, 13:40
DK,
If you don't look like Heddy Lamar, don't think about wearing a sarong!:aetsch:
john pickett

Turk
2007-09-10, 20:14
Sorry dude.....

Not that I am taking a shot at "man-skirts". heck I am for them.....
conservatively. That also goes for things like a top end "man-purse"
*cough-maxpedition-cough*

However ......... I just don't see a sarong cutting it
as a piece of camp wear. I simply cannot imagine the bug bites
I would sustain in anything other than full pants. However...
if bugs aren't an issue ... I still see a few potential problems.
Bending,squatting, sitting in a hammock chair all are scenarios
where I could see the man-skirt coming undone or flashing
your buddies with a view they could really do without.

What this could be great for though ... would be bedtime wear.
Well ventilated, providing some modest and necessary coverage,
while making answering those 3am calls of nature a breeze :biggrin:

Its just the kind of piece of gear that begs to be multi-use.
So many good uses for a large piece of rectangular fabric.
Too bad they don't all feel so great against the skin.

interested to see how this works out for you.

Take-a-knee
2007-09-11, 00:12
I saw way too many man-skirts in Iraq, thanks for the idea but no thanks.

TeeDee
2007-09-11, 21:55
Tried an experiment today with a poncho liner.

My poncho liner is 60"x80" (I think most or all are this size or close to it).

Mine has those lace ties on the 4 corners and another set in the middle of each side.

I folded it to make a 60"x40" rectangle. I then tied the matching lace ties together to hold the thing together. Tying the laces may not be necessary, but it at least keeps them from getting in the way and holds the shape.

Wrapped the 60" length around me with the final edge ending at my side. I then proceeded to roll the top as in the sarong instructions. I had the folded edge on the bottom. I made 3 rolls.

Observations:

warm. since it has been in the 70s and 80s around here and very humid, I was instantly very warm and sweating pretty good. That double insulated layer held the body heat in very well.

roll. The rolling technique works very well to keep the liner secure and in place.

Fit. With the 3 rolls, the bottom was approximately mid-calf and the top almost to the bottom of my rib cage. Not uncomfortably high.

modesty. I could see using this around camp when the weather cooled considerably. As Turk mentioned, it would very advisable to make sure you have something underneath if you are not solo.

Insects. Since the weather would probably be pretty cool to prompt it's use, I am assuming that insects would not be a concern.

camp wear. With a jacket on top, it could act very well to keep you warm and serve as a 3 season top or under quilt (the simple rectangle works beautifully for a Bridge Hammock under quilt and fits like a well fitted glove there) as well as camp wear.

Coverage. The liner could be shifted up to free the legs more or down to the ankles for more warmth on the legs. The ability to adjust would be a definite advantage. The liner could also be folded so that it was 30"x80" and that would would give 4 layers of insulation and be even warmer over a shorter top to bottom area although it would be much harder to roll. Or 60"x60" to give more coverage top to bottom. That versatility could prove to be valuable.

Walking. Don't know that I would be comfortable walking a long distance with the liner as a sarong type garment. But then, if my clothing had been reduced to the liner, I could manage.

Other than bath towels, I have never worn anything like a skirt, but other than the normal "macho" reaction, wearing the liner in this manner would not bother me unduly. Especially since it would conveniently keep me warm when others might be more than a tad colder. :biggrin:

dropkick
2007-09-13, 02:02
I took an old crib sheet that I had in the rags and sewed it into a tube. Thought I'd give it a trial run around the house before I tried it anyplace else.

It's surprisingly warm and comfortable.
Quick and easy to put on.

I'm not having a lot of trouble with slippage, though I could see it happening.
I think a safety pin could solve that problem though.

If nothing else I think I'm going to continue to use this around the house in the mornings - at least until bathrobe weather gets here.

SGT Rock
2007-09-13, 22:26
I'm too old fashion for doing it. But good luck.