PDA

View Full Version : New rainfly for my hammock

Jason O
2007-09-09, 15:12
I need to get a new rainfly for my hennessey hammock. On a recent trip to the Buffalo River in Ark. raccoons raided our campsite and made off with my rainfly. Looked around for an hour the next morning and didn't find it anywhere. I need to get a new one and was wondering what ya'll like? Thanks for any help.

Jason

Turk
2007-09-09, 16:42
Lots of top options out there. Here in no particular order would be
my top choices:

Quality/Lightweight and Durability as Biggest Factor:
1. Jacks R Better 8x8 silny tarp.
http://jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Products%20List_files/8x8%20SilNyl%20Tarp.htm

2. OES Maccat tarps. Standard or Deluxe
http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm

3. Integral Designs SilTarp2 8x10
http://integraldesigns.com/product.cfm?id=6&CFID=9237205&CFTOKEN=15152949&mainproducttypeid=1

Unlimitted Budget/ Lightest/ Durability lesser concern

1. Gossamer Gear SpinnTwinn 8x10
http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Spinn-Twinn.html?id=CHCpBZyI:74.110.127.70

New tarp on a Budget:

1. Granite Gear 8x10 White Lightning (A few ounces heavier than above,
but often obtained cheap on Ebay)
http://www.granitegear.com/products/tarps/white_lightnin/index.html

2. Kelty Noah's Tarp 9 (cheapest cat-cut and great coverage) 9x9
http://kelty.com/kelty/products.php?terms=tarp&id=154

Hope that helps.

Quoddy
2007-09-09, 21:59
I just went for a MacCat Deluxe. I've never heard a bad word from anyone about these tarps. Brian puts out a first class product, but I hope you like gray.

Take-a-knee
2007-09-09, 22:27
I love my Macat Deluxe, that cat cut works as advertised. That stock Hennessy tarp will make so much racket you can't sleep in a 15+mph wind. That Macat won't make a sound. I also think the Deluxe is worth the weight penalty.

beas
2007-09-09, 23:48
I need to get a new rainfly for my hennessey hammock. On a recent trip to the Buffalo River in Ark. raccoons raided our campsite and made off with my rainfly. Looked around for an hour the next morning and didn't find it anywhere. I need to get a new one and was wondering what ya'll like? Thanks for any help.

Jason
Not sure why you are asking, aren't you the guy who helped plan a trip then didn't go.

from
the "then there were three bunch"

FanaticFringer
2007-09-10, 01:27
The Sportsmans Guide 9x9 tarp is hard to beat for the money and coverage.
www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=97247

Iceman
2007-09-11, 00:47
Not sure why you are asking, aren't you the guy who helped plan a trip then didn't go.

from
the "then there were three bunch"

Do share.....sounds like a good story...

beas
2007-09-11, 22:52
Well it goes like this,
This fella Jason O takes several of the guys on our first backpacking trip last fall.
With everyone enjoying ourselves we decided on a trip to the GSMNP in the spring. It would be a 6 night trip. Jason O gets us all fired up. We all get really nice gear. Spending mucho denero. There were a total of 9 planning to go. I know you see where this is going just by reading the title. As the date draws near 1 by 1 folks drop out for one reason or another. Even our tour guide Jason O.
Well I will show you the pic of what the "then there were 3" bunch look like and Jason O was not to be found474

CaSteve
2007-09-11, 23:36
I've noticed that people don't want to backpack with me more than once :confused2:

Nice matching hiking sticks you all had.

-Steve

Iceman
2007-09-12, 01:13
Beas, I know the feeling. But the guy who organized the whole thing dropping out? Wow! I am usually the one who organizes stuff, and always have a percentage of fallout... Had a similar trip to mexico planned while in college, 10 guys to rent a classC motor home. One by one they dropped, till we had three... In this case, I took a non-refundable deposit from all, and we paid for our whole trip on the weenies cash...drove my 69 Ford F100 the distance from Olympia WA. Had fun, and we didn't even get arrested anywhere!

pure_mahem
2007-09-12, 01:32
I am noticing some serious walmart hiking gear in this photo.(the matching Hiking poles for one)

Iceman
2007-09-12, 03:13
Isn't Wallyworld still your bread and butter?

Jason O
2007-09-12, 10:01
Would ya'll go hiking with that bunch? I didn't organize the trip,but I did back out. Don't think I'll ever live it down either.

Thanks for all the info. I really like the maccat tarp,but I got a hennessey hammock tarp on ebay for $10.50 and couldn't pass it up.

Jason O
2007-09-12, 10:05
Everytime I see that picture I think I hear dueling banjos in the background.:biggrin:

Take-a-knee
2007-09-12, 10:13
Easy on the banjo theme there Jason, you are talking about my kinfolk.

Inimicus
2007-09-12, 10:24
I am noticing some serious walmart hiking gear in this photo.(the matching Hiking poles for one)
Am I misunderstanding the point?

I thought this was about getting outdoors, not where you bought your gear.

edit:
If I'm missing some inside joke please forgive my attitude.

Iceman
2007-09-12, 14:55
Hell ya' I would go hiking with them. Three guys that have never hiked before, willing to go out and buy a whole ton of new crap so they can go and hike a multi overnighter, willing to do it anyway even when their leader bails, hell yes! They represent the true spirit of hiking. Not some whiny purist who looks down at them like they are not "hikers". Who gives a crap what they look like. Take a look at me. I am an overweight look-a-like to "fester" from the Adams Family. I have never owned the right stuff. I have always looked bizarre coming down the trail. I am slower than most. I don't hike as far as most. Not as much elevation gain as most. But, I can set your broken leg, build fire, find my way without maps, stop bleeding, fix things, I am the guy everyone relies upon when shit goes bad. If you ask me, I like that group of guys. I would hike with them. You, I would pee on.

JasonO, you need a serious ass whooping. If you cannot find someone to give it to you, look me up, I will not let you down.

Inimicus, JasonO and others are getting a bit snobbish about some of the gear folks have decided upon, for their first outings. I am sure if we all had the same gear things would be pretty boring around here...

Jason O
2007-09-12, 17:34
Iceman... I don't believe any of those degenerates can whoop me......and secondly I was just messing with them. We all work together and tend to give each other a hard time as often as possible. Heck on our trip (that I didn't back out of) I took my Moms hand me down early 80's REI backpack. I'm far from a gear snob.

beas
2007-09-13, 10:16

Sir,
As a humble servant of the people of Memphis Tn, we really couldn't afford $60 hiking sticks. Upon further research most people are thrilled with the $20 pair sticks.
Other than that most of the gear is name brand stuff. I opted for external pack. Now I know that might not be the COOL thing to do but I liked it and it worked well. Now the big fella used his military ruc sac, He on the the other hand may not have enjoyed it that much but we never heard a word. He is also the same fella that had issues with his insoles of his boots. His answer was to burn the insoles and wear 2 pair of socks. Never a gripe one.

A good time was had by all.

And Jason O is not that bad he did back out but left most of the planning to me.

Ice man we to are the same type of people. As fireman we have the make it happen personality. NOT so pretty but always functional.

Iceman
2007-09-13, 12:07
Aw, I was looking for a good brawl over this..... Oh well... :angel:

Jason O
2007-09-13, 14:05
Not that bad....I'm darn near perfect :biggrin:

GGS
2007-09-13, 16:10
Aw, I was looking for a good brawl over this..... Oh well... :angel:

LOL!

Iceman, would it be safe to add "A little more attitude than most" to your list above? :biggrin:

CaSteve
2007-09-13, 18:55
I'm impressed you found $20 hiking sticks.

MrSparex
2007-09-13, 22:30
The larger Walmarts have very inexpensive aluminum poles that have held up okay for me. "Sierra Stix" are among the best cheap trekking poles.
The ones that say "Swiss Gear" tend to have problems with the hand strap pulling out.

Iceman
2007-09-14, 00:17
LOL!

Iceman, would it be safe to add "A little more attitude than most" to your list above? :biggrin:

To who's list, his or mine..:evil:

I usually like those with some attitude! :rock:

dropkick
2007-09-14, 02:23
The larger Walmarts have very inexpensive aluminum poles that have held up okay for me. "Sierra Stix" are among the best cheap trekking poles.
The ones that say "Swiss Gear" tend to have problems with the hand strap pulling out.
I'm frugal too (was going to say cheap) but I was always scared of the Walmart poles.
I've had problems with the type of latch they have on their size adjustment (on tripods).
As the time the latch would most likely give out would be the same time I'd most need the pole to support me I've never bought one.

I'm currently using a broom handle that I wrapped with para cord for a grip and added a leather hand strap made from an old belt.

BigJohn
2007-09-14, 12:26
I bought a pair of the Leki Ultralight Ti a couple of years ago and I have to admit, they haven't been what I expected out of $100.00 hiking poles. They tend to telescope at the worst possible moment (like on a steep incline when I need a little support) and for me the weight is negligible. Looking back now, those $15.00 Walmart poles don't look like such a bad buy...

pure_mahem
2007-09-19, 05:37
I'm seriously regretting not coming back to this thread and following up!:boxing:

First of all as Iceman knows wally world is not my favorite place for numerous reasons.:bird:

They may give me a damn check every week but I can't wait to see that freaking monopoly burn in a certain underworld pitt!:evil:
I believe there is a thread about it somewhere in general discussion.:captain:
Second of all I would have more respect for someone who carried a damn stick they found in there back yard :viking:

Than some one who sat there and told me they paid twenty bucks for one of those hiking sticks:listen:
When I know they sell for $9.97, and yes if you paid more than that they saw you coming.:stupido:
It's, however, very amazing how many of those lil red neck breaker's I've sold this year however.:stickyman:

Not to pick on someone who is out having a good time.:aetsch:

But, I have yet to find one valuable piece of merchandice amongst the crap they sell in that store. :rofl:

"Don't make me get my paintball gun!":tomato: :tomato: :tomato:

PPPPSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTT: How's that for attitude?:beer:

:thefinger:Best Wishes, PURE!

Iceman
2007-09-19, 09:27
Works for me! So I take it you are not happy with the gear they sell...OK, got it!

beas
2007-09-28, 19:41
[Young man,

I will talk with you like I talk with my nine year old son. I am not looking for your respect or approval. I take it you don't have much of a responsibility to a family if you work at Wally World and brag on spending exuberant amounts of money on hiking sticks. I to paid 9.97 for the sticks. Do the math one of those in the other fellas hands is mine.
I am sure you went out and bought the high dollar gear on you first outing. If you did that would also give second reason that I understand your inmature rants.
I bet you didn't wade off into the woods for 6 nights without direction of anyone else either.

Looking at lots of the folks that I saw when we were on the trail gear is not the reason most of them were there. If it were they would be wearing ll bean gear of something from the G.Q. shopping guide for hiking.

What is that avatar anyway??

QUOTE=pure_mahem;20696]I'm seriously regretting not coming back to this thread and following up!:boxing:

First of all as Iceman knows wally world is not my favorite place for numerous reasons.:bird:

They may give me a damn check every week but I can't wait to see that freaking monopoly burn in a certain underworld pitt!:evil:
I believe there is a thread about it somewhere in general discussion.:captain:
Second of all I would have more respect for someone who carried a damn stick they found in there back yard :viking:

Than some one who sat there and told me they paid twenty bucks for one of those hiking sticks:listen:
When I know they sell for $9.97, and yes if you paid more than that they saw you coming.:stupido:
It's, however, very amazing how many of those lil red neck breaker's I've sold this year however.:stickyman:

Not to pick on someone who is out having a good time.:aetsch:

But, I have yet to find one valuable piece of merchandice amongst the crap they sell in that store. :rofl:

"Don't make me get my paintball gun!":tomato: :tomato: :tomato:

PPPPSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTT: How's that for attitude?:beer:

:thefinger:Best Wishes, PURE![/QUOTE]

pure_mahem
2007-09-28, 22:04
Not a promoter of brand names but I know junk when I see it. You'ld be safer with the stick those poles are junk I see them break All the time!Find a light stick doesnt cost anything and much safer.