PDA

View Full Version : Start a Fire with Water

sailingsoul
2007-09-15, 20:50
I don't know if this has been covered before, so forgive me if it has. I interested to know what y'all thoughts are, seeing all the minds around willing to add there two cents. I found this video which was posted 2 months ago. I know I want to test it out as soon as I get a chance, as I tend to be on the skeptic side. I can't see a reason to think it's B.S.. http://www.metacafe.com/watch/727951/how_to_start_a_fire_using_water/
My first thought was to have pre-made packets while camping but the possibility of it going off just from humidity would be VERY bad.
It's strange how water and the mixture makes a cold pack. Then add salt and zinc gives something very different. If one can spit from a safe distance, you don't even water. If it works , I could live with green fire. Like she says in the video "Sweet". SS :captain:

Take-a-knee
2007-09-15, 23:03
I don't think it would work for fire starting, too much flash and not enough prolonged heat. You have to get a chunk of wood to about 450-500 F, any more is just wasted energy. The only safe way to carry it would be to separate the different elements, then you'd be mixing that dangerous stuff in the bush, maybe by yourself. A lot of times when you really need an extra edge getting a fire going it is already wet everywhere with rain or at least water dripping off of the trees.

pure_mahem
2007-09-16, 01:37
I know how to make a much bigger BANG with a cold pack. Actually its an explosive similar to tnt but I don't think I'm going to tell people how to do it as you can go to jail for making explosives with out a permit. Even though the government use to tell farmers how to make it for stump removal.

sailingsoul
2007-09-17, 17:45
Good point Take'. I wouldn't mind getting a IM on that, pure mahem. But I won't hold my breath. Which bring me to this thought how might it be altered to be a fire starter where you "just add water". Separation of parts untill needed would wise. However playing with this is very dangerous, that's for sure.

yuppie_redneck
2008-01-17, 02:08
I don't know if this has been covered before, so forgive me if it has. I interested to know what y'all thoughts are, seeing all the minds around willing to add there two cents. I found this video which was posted 2 months ago. I know I want to test it out as soon as I get a chance, as I tend to be on the skeptic side. I can't see a reason to think it's B.S.. http://www.metacafe.com/watch/727951/how_to_start_a_fire_using_water/
My first thought was to have pre-made packets while camping but the possibility of it going off just from humidity would be VERY bad.
It's strange how water and the mixture makes a cold pack. Then add salt and zinc gives something very different. If one can spit from a safe distance, you don't even water. If it works , I could live with green fire. Like she says in the video "Sweet". SS :captain:

I didn't know those cold packs had ammonium nitrate. To heck with making explosives from acetone and battery acid (primary ingredients for the primers of most terrorist bombs if I'm not too out of date) - Ammonium nitrate should be a controlled substance! Just kidding, fertilizer is. As to an IM of the explosive formula - read old newspapers regarding the Oklahoma bombing. (Or just go to wikipedia.)

If, however, you like to play with fire..... Pure sodium metal used to be readily available. It slices like cold margerine, forms a relatively safe white oxide powder in atmosphere. And when added to water produces heat, oxygen and hydrogen. The heat ignites the gasses and you get a pretty flame under water.

The neat part? It travels well in a bottle of alcohol. It would make a lovely display as a camping trick for the scouts - If I could just trust them not to try it at home. (Naaaaaaaaaaa.)

Don't take this as instruction on how to do it, but you should find good directions in just about any Chem I lab book.

pure_mahem
2008-01-17, 03:12
The Government use to hand out that explosive formula to farmers for stump removal when they made TNT a regulated item requring permits and licensing.

Amigi
2008-01-17, 05:44
PP and glycol. Great firestarter and the obvious medical uses of both at least make it practical to carry while hiking.

Nightwalker
2008-01-17, 17:57
Good point Take'. I wouldn't mind getting a IM on that, pure mahem. But I won't hold my breath.

He's probably talking about kerosene and nitrate fertilizer. Make a glop the consistency of mortar in a jar or other enclosing container, add blasting cap and duck. Duck far away, as a matter of fact. It's what McVeigh used to do the Murrah building.

That's probably why Uncle Sam quit with the recipe, but 'most everyone that's interested knows how to make it already anyway. You should see what a pint Mason jar full will do to a huge stump! Talk about overkill... :)

pure_mahem
2008-01-17, 20:24
I prefer ziplocs and coleman fuel or just plain diesel fuel modified model rocket otors. Thought about this and this may be why they won't sell you more than 2 prepaid cell phones in one day. but one is enough to make a remote detonator. Man They don't watch these components enough there's no buy restriction on cold packs but maybe they figure the amount in them is negligable unless you buy a container truck full of them. Nobody try this I don't want anybody to go to jail for making explosives in there basement or worse dieing from blowing themselves up. Put this knowledge in the back of your head for use if there is an apocolypse.

Amigi
2008-01-17, 21:32
McVeigh's bomb had an accelerant... it wasnt that simple folks...

Just make Al, iron oxide, and magnesium. I wont give the ratios here, but it makes for fantastic fireworks at camp at night when you get it wrong. Just toss it in the fire in almost any heavy Mg ratio. When it's right, it'll burn through just about anything. They call it Poor Man's Thermite.

Nightwalker
2008-01-19, 04:35
McVeigh's bomb had an accelerant... it wasnt that simple folks...

Yeah, just Googled it. He added some stuff.

But until you've seen it, you'd be surprised at the power of just fertilizer and fuel oil. BIG boom! My PaPa used to do stumps that were too aggravating to pull up with a Farmall H with that stuff. It was magic! :)

pure_mahem
2008-01-19, 17:49
Proportions, I don't need no stinking proportions. You just grind up one of thos doan fire starters. Or a few of them But same goes as posted above. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME KIDDIES!!!! IF YOU DON'T KILL YOUR SELF OR A FRIEND YOU WILL MOST LIKELY BE HEADED TO PRISON!!!! I SAY PRISON VS JAIL BECAUSE JAIL IS FOR PEOPLE ONLY SERVING A YEAR OR LESS, PRISON IS THE LONG HAUL!!!!!