PDA

View Full Version : Ziploc Steam Bags...any use?

Iceman
2007-09-20, 10:08
Maybe I missed it, but this summer, Ziploc came out with a steam cooking bag for use in microwaves. I have not layed hands on one yet, TV commercial view appeared to be of a different type plastic than traditional Ziploc bags? Has anyone layed their hands on these yet? I have been cooking in the regular Ziploc bags with success... Do the new bags offer us anything...Your thoughts...

http://www.scjohnson.com/family/fam_pre_pre_news.asp?art_id=287

SGT Rock
2007-09-20, 10:17
Never heard of 'em.

dropkick
2007-09-21, 01:03
I think they're just a vented resealable oven bag.
I can't think of any use for them on the trail.
Maybe somebody else has a better imagination though, and can come up with a use.

...If they weren't vented......

pure_mahem
2007-09-22, 06:17
Just saw promo from glad web site on steam bags. They appear to be one time use. Don't appear to be vented or perforated. and do appear to be made out of a different type of plastic. I don't see a use for them as of yet. I'll let you know how they work when My wife get's a coupon for em they always give coupons on new products. who knows might even get a free sample yah never know.

dropkick
2007-09-22, 22:42
Just saw promo from glad web site on steam bags. They appear to be one time use. Don't appear to be vented or perforated. and do appear to be made out of a different type of plastic. I don't see a use for them as of yet. I'll let you know how they work when My wife gets a coupon for em they always give coupons on new products. who knows might even get a free sample yah never know.

I'm almost positive the commercial I saw for them said they were vented, but I didn't pay really close attention.

--I would think they would have to be vented or they would pop in the microwave.

Anyway if you get some keep us updated.

Skidsteer
2007-09-26, 20:19
I'm almost positive the commercial I saw for them said they were vented, but I didn't pay really close attention.

--I would think they would have to be vented or they would pop in the microwave.

Anyway if you get some keep us updated.

They are vented.

SGT Rock
2007-09-27, 00:20
OK, so maybe I don't get it - but how do you zip-lock something air tight if it has a vent?

pure_mahem
2007-09-27, 03:55
They look like one time use anyway? The guy is always ripping the top off of em on the website.

FranceyS
2007-10-02, 14:29
Who Needs 'Em?
Sep 19 '07 (Updated Sep 20 '07)
Pros
they work, and perform as advertised
Cons
they're not recyclable and their function can easily be duplicated by durable products

Full Review

The bags are some of that new plastic (everybody seems to have a version, even the frozen-dinner people) that's designed to let you steam your food in the microwave. If you haven't seen any of this stuff, the samples are transparent like your ordinary plastic bag but not as pliable - sort of the consistency of mylar (what you use for laminating paper) as opposed to the soft plastic we're used to seeing in our sandwich bags. They're zipper-topped, and clearly labeled with a warning that opening them might release a cloud of steam (kind of like dumping a cup of coffee in one's lap might release some heat). The bags are also labeled with iconic directions - a drawing of a few asparagus spears is followed by the suggestion to cook for 5-7 minutes. Everything on the label's repeated in French (good for linguistic practice, I suppose).

Glad, of course, has muchos suggestions for how to use their new toys. You can use them to re-heat leftovers or cook fresh veggies. You can even make entire meals in them from a collection of recipes on their website including veggies, entrees, even a couple of egg dishes for breakfast. Try beef stroganoff or even pasta with meatballs (note that the pasta is angel hair, not penne...). All of the entrees make one large or two smallish servings: we are definitely not talking "super-size it" here. Our test of the recipes included veggies like new potatoes and squash and a trip to the land of beef stroganoff. Once one adjusts the recipes to get rid of excess salt (commercial broths and bouillon) the recipes appear to actually be fairly healthy - especially the part about being pretty small. They're probably OK for one or perhaps a light supper for two, but trying to cook a meal for the family would quickly run into multiple bags.

Glad's entry in the steamin' bags sweepstakes - at least at the moment - comes in only one size, which holds about three cups of... of whatever. It's safe to cook fish even in fillet form, and meats that have been cut fairly small. Glad announces that the plastics used contain no PVCs (polyvinyl chlorides) and are FDA-approved for use in heating foods. You can't necessarily say the same about all the bags and wraps you encounter... OK, so that's in the bags' favor.

Glad suggests using these to store leftovers and then send them straight to the microwave. That seems to work, though non-disposable containers seem to work just as well. Once the bags have been microwaved and opened, it's darned near impossible to re-seal them - they are essentially (if not definitely) designed for single use.

My big question, of course, is why? Why would anyone use a throw-away bag for mere convenience? Don't you already have a dishwasher (or maybe kids) for convenience, so that you don't have to ruin your manicure or waste ten minutes at the sink that could better be spent watching the Golf Channel? And to make matters worse, Glad freely admits that these bags are not recyclable, which means that every one of them goes straight into the landfill. And trust me, it'll still be in that landfill long after you and I are gone and Glad has been absorbed by Intergalactic Plastics Consortium of Alpha Centauri.

Just for grins, we ran a little test at our house and cooked one of the Glad recipes in a glass-topped Corningware casserole. You know what? Their recipe worked just fine (after a little fumbling with the time). No plastic bag in the trash that's eventually going to end up circling the North pacific Gyre. For the record, the casserole has been in our kitchen since we got married more than thirty years ago. Besides, the dishwasher actually gets to do some work. And since I just paid $800 for the dishwasher a couple of years ago, I see no particular reason to waste about fifty cents a bag on plastic that is just gonna go in the trash.

The bottom line? The bags perform their intended function, and seem to do it well. The problem, of course is that it's a function that no one actually needs - and using them creates additional unrecyclable plastic trash and diverts petroleum from use as fuel for transportation, power, and heating. I think that's plenty of reason to just say no.

Recommended: No

sailingsoul
2007-10-02, 22:08
Great product report Fran'. I for one will accept and act upon your recommendation by not using them. I can't say I'm shocked at the reported cost of $.50 a bag or that I was likely to use them before. It is good to be reminded and discuss, how big corporations constantly seek new products that are sold @ herendious markups. I chuckled to myself at the grocery store tonight, when I picked up a styrofoam cup, in cellophane labeled "Kraft easy-Mac' ". It weighted nothing but was priced,,,,,get this,,,,$1.69. Holy Molely. Won't go there, either. SS :captain:

Iceman
2007-10-02, 23:35
Great review.

I will challenge your thought on the recycle issue. So what if plastic goes into the ground? Who cares? In a few hundred million years that plastic will go full circle and be regenerated into something else...

dropkick
2007-10-03, 02:22
Great review.

I will challenge your thought on the recycle issue. So what if plastic goes into the ground? Who cares? In a few hundred million years that plastic will go full circle and be regenerated into something else...

It's my belief that in 1000 years from now archaeologists will be digging them up and telling everyone that they are hats made from an extinct animal hide, and they were used for ceremonial purposes by the ruling class of Elvis worshipers.

Much like our present day archaeologists deduce the the uses and sometimes even the existence of many ancient items.

pure_mahem
2007-10-03, 02:55
I wonder if a thousand years from now when they dig up a plastic back scratcher, if they would figure out its original purpose.LOL