PDA

View Full Version : Deer hunting

Bear
2007-09-26, 01:52
Hey Iceman,
What do ya’ll do in your neck of the woods for hunting season preparation? Down here my son and I belong to a hunting lease in our neighboring state of Mississippi. We lease about 2000 acres from a timber company and there are 25 members in the club. I know it sounds like a lot but there are usually only 10 members at the lease at one time except on opening weekend and holidays. During the middle of the week, which I prefer to hunt due to working shift work, there may only be 3 of us there. Each individual has about 20 acres that is their own and no one else is supposed to hunt that area. In these areas we all have small food plots where we plant different varieties of plants to attract the deer. My son and I each have 3 plots from a quarter to half acre each. I plant oats, winter wheat, clover, chicory, Austrian winter pea, rape, and a little turnip. Very labor intensive as I have a friend up there with a tractor to disc it for me but I put out the seed with a hand spreader and fertilize with a hand push spreader. Getting too damn old for all this and will soon look to purchase a pull behind ATV spreader to make the job easier. Usually my son helps me but this year his school schedule prohibited him from lending a hand. There are also about 6 club plots which are first come first serve basis. We have box stands on our food plots and lock-ons and climbers else where in the woods that we use.

Probably won’t get to bow hunt this year as I am working plenty of OT due to some training that is going on. Will make opening weekend of rifle season with my son come Hell or high water though. Also have the last two weeks of the year off with vacation so hopefully we’ll catch the rut. It happens late down here.

One other thing I forgot to mention, the club owns 3 acres and everyone has their own little lot which they can build on or put a camper on. We have a small camp, 18 X 20 with a storage shed 8 X 24. The camp has running water, water heater, AC, gas stove, small bathroom with shower, TV, VCR, and micro wave. Yes I know, we’ve really got it rough. :aetsch: Most of the time it is just me and my son there but my wife does manage to make a few trips each season. She does not hunt but enjoys the relaxation and the night time camp fires when some of the other wives are there.

Don’t care to hunt public property down here during rifle season as it is too crowded with too many trigger happy ding-bats!

And I also know that this has nothing to do with hiking.

pure_mahem
2007-09-26, 04:12
I wish I had a club like that up here, HOLY! I do here yah on the trigger happy ding-bats seems like they are everywhere nowadays. Up here most of them come from Massachussets, Only fitting I guess as they don't drive very well either. lol

Don’t care to hunt public property down here during rifle season as it is too crowded with too many trigger happy ding-bats!
:beer:

Iceman
2007-09-26, 09:50
We hunt state, federal and private wildlands. Not many lease deals out here... Three deer species out here, blacktail (west of the Cascade divide) and Muley and Whitetail east of the divide. My small group of "ne'er do wells' " focus mainly on Muleys. Our muledeer season is (you better sit down first) only 9 days long for modern rifle. Yep, thats it, 9 days. Whitetail and blacktail a bit longer, but you get the point from our miserable dept of wildlife.... Actions speak louder than words, and setting a season so short for modern rifle speaks volumes. Don't get me started....

Anyway, a bit hard to prepare for Muley season since they are a migratory species. We have a few areas we hunt, and change them up according to the weather. IF warm and no snow in the high country, we hunt the local few resident deer which may be around. If it snows, we will have a great hunt, as we know the migratory paths.... if no snow, good luck...

Here is the view from over my coffee mug on a crummy year of hunting, no snow above us... Here I am sitting at about 4000', our range goes up to 6500, then down to 3000, then back up to 8000' or so... Deer migrate from above us to points below me to winter.

Taking a break with my esbit stove and a cup of coffee.....

SGT Rock
2007-09-26, 10:23
I haven't been deer hunting since I was in High School - just always too busy over the years. Now maybe that I am settling down I can start agian.

Take-a-knee
2007-09-26, 11:29
I hunt public Wildlife Management Areas here in GA. There are a few knuckleheads who are unsafe around firearms in the woods with you, but they are the same knuckleheads that'll be on your deer lease for the most part, so I don't worry about it, just have on a lot or orange when you move. It is pitch black when I walk to my stand anyway, and I wear a Petzel headlamp. After making it through Iraq without getting my legs blown off getting shot just doesn't seem so scary...not that I'd want to of course.

Bear
2007-09-26, 19:00
9 DAYS!!! That sucks! Ok, get ready to cry. In Mississippi archery starts on October 1 and runs to November 16th. November 17th is opening day of rifle season and runs to November 30th. December 1st is primitive weapon, either bow or black powder until December 16th. Rifle season starts again December 17th until the middle of January then primitive weapon again until the end of January. All we have is white tail deer and mostly flat land with some rolling hills. Our limit is 3 legal bucks and 5 does which can be taken any time during the season.

Our camp is a two and a half hour drive from the house but once there it is only about a mile from camp to our stands. We use ATVs to get to the stand and haul out the deer. We don’t have near the scenery as you have but I don’t think I’ll trade. It is also about the same distance for my son from college but once there together, is a great time for some father son bonding.

Take a knee I agree with you that there are “idiots” everywhere you go and we have had our share over the years. The difference is I know where they are on our lease and can avoid them a little better. We have one now that should give it up as he is 81 years old and I believe can’t see very well as he usually misses. One advantage is that his area is close to mine and I don’t have to worry about him killing any deer close to me. He just chases them my way. JUST DON’T WANT HIM TO THINK I AM A DEER!!

Mahem, it is not anything fancy by any means. Just all the comforts of home that is a perfect get away for me and my family when ever we want to relax and ride 4 wheelers and perfect for some great hunting fun for me and my son. My daughter even took a deer one year before she became a “tree hugger” as her brother calls her. Not that she minds use hunting, she just does not want to do it herself anymore.

Turk
2007-09-26, 21:01
Wow that is crazy. Up here deer runs sept 29 to Dec 15. ... with extended
season for bow hunters and muzzle loaded rifles.

but then again we have a patch of wilderness in Ontario bigger than the
state of Texas. :biggrin:

oops56
2007-09-26, 21:41
O k every body give me h--- i used to deer hunt no get one. Then many years ago. The light came on to much work drag out lift it on car or truck pay to get it cut up. I just go to the meat market its all done [not Deer meat] but a lot easy cheaper plus not pulled a muscle not out of breath get wet freeze them b-- off get lost etc.

Bear
2007-09-26, 23:19
I hear you oops. It is by no way a cheap sport. Camp, hunting lease dues, out of state license, ATV, rifle, muzzle loader, bow, arrows, clothes, seed, fertilizer, etc, etc, etc…
Sitting in the stand with your son when he shoots his first deer, watching him track and find it after you have taught him how, PRICLESS!!! He and I have spent many days at the camp together hunting, getting ready for the season, and just plain having fun. Spent hours in the car driving to the camp talking about life, beliefs, dreams, etc. Not many kids when they are 17 years old look at you and say, “You are my best friend Dad.” I can’t tell you how it makes you feel. The result from spending time at the camp together, camping trips, Boy Scout trips, and backpacking trips. Yes it can be very expensive, a lot of hard work, cold, wet, boring, and all he has to do is say, “Hey Dad, I’m going to be at the camp this weekend, can you come?” “You bet, what do you want me to bring you to eat?”
:beer:

oops56
2007-09-26, 23:42
Yep kids many years ago they are great when small.Well me and my son use to just fish some small ponds. He was 7 or 8 their is this nice pond up the mountain many years ago there was a hotel there and the road was for horse and buggy. Oh its only about 3/4 mile i can do in a shot hope but my son kept me busy saying who put that rock there why is that tree like that how come this how come that boy it was a long trip up there. But we got some nice trout 8 in or so cook on spot one of my best days of my life.

pure_mahem
2007-09-27, 04:18
9 DAYS!!! That sucks! Ok, get ready to cry. In Mississippi archery starts on October 1 and runs to November 16th. November 17th is opening day of rifle season and runs to November 30th. December 1st is primitive weapon, either bow or black powder until December 16th. Rifle season starts again December 17th until the middle of January then primitive weapon again until the end of January. All we have is white tail deer and mostly flat land with some rolling hills. Our limit is 3 legal bucks and 5 does which can be taken any time during the season.

Our camp is a two and a half hour drive from the house but once there it is only about a mile from camp to our stands. We use ATVs to get to the stand and haul out the deer. We don’t have near the scenery as you have but I don’t think I’ll trade. It is also about the same distance for my son from college but once there together, is a great time for some father son bonding.

Take a knee I agree with you that there are “idiots” everywhere you go and we have had our share over the years. The difference is I know where they are on our lease and can avoid them a little better. We have one now that should give it up as he is 81 years old and I believe can’t see very well as he usually misses. One advantage is that his area is close to mine and I don’t have to worry about him killing any deer close to me. He just chases them my way. JUST DON’T WANT HIM TO THINK I AM A DEER!!

Mahem, it is not anything fancy by any means. Just all the comforts of home that is a perfect get away for me and my family when ever we want to relax and ride 4 wheelers and perfect for some great hunting fun for me and my son. My daughter even took a deer one year before she became a “tree hugger” as her brother calls her. Not that she minds use hunting, she just does not want to do it herself anymore.
I am gonna cry! But we get snow days!And in another week or two the leaves should be changing color. Think I might have to get a week in before snow fall. But, I still wish we had a hunting season like that!

john pickett
2007-09-27, 04:45
"but then again we have a patch of wilderness in Ontario bigger than the
state of Texas. "

Watch it Turk. Get us Texicans riled and we'll pull out our coin purses and BUY your miserable, flea bitten, ice covered excuse for a country. And put an outhouse on it.:bootyshak
John Pickett