PDA

View Full Version : Two of my current favorite blades

Hollowdweller
2007-09-28, 18:09
A scandi grind Swamp Oak by Charles May and a Skookum Tool by Rod Garcia. The May is D2 steel and the Skookum is 01

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c19/hollowdweller/swampoak1.jpg

Take-a-knee
2007-09-29, 00:28
HD you've got the steel addiction thing really bad, I'm afraid. Nice blades. I'm familiar with D2 steel, that other is new to me.

SGT Rock
2007-09-29, 07:31
It is nice to have a friend with lots of extra knives sometimes.

Hollowdweller
2007-09-29, 10:01
HD you've got the steel addiction thing really bad, I'm afraid. Nice blades. I'm familiar with D2 steel, that other is new to me.

TAK,

Guilty as charged!:ahhhhh:

Been slowing down a bit lately though. Kept getting knives and then it was "no this is not quite it" and then onto the next one:afraid:

But now I've ran onto quite a few that are great all around and it's like "which one do I take with me:biggrin:

Need to have a fire sale some time and narrow it down to 5 or 10:biggrin:

Nightwalker
2007-10-01, 22:01

D2, as you probably know, is a very high Chromium content steel. It's extremely hard, and is the steel of choice for high-production, high-speed cutting dies. D3 is very similar, but is slightly more machineable, at least in my experience.
O1 is the least expensive and most used tool steel out there. It takes hardening well, but its wear characteristics are not very good. It takes rubbing somewhat okay, but it doesn't hold an edge very well. On the flip side, it's easy to sharpen, unlike D2 and D3. The D steels, however, hold an edge for a very, very long time. They do tend to chip easily though, which the O1 doesn't.

I am surprised that I remembered this much stuff about something that I haven't done since my brain damage happened. I guess that if you do something long enough, you're kind of stuck with it!

FrankenLooper the NightWalker

Nightwalker
2007-10-01, 22:05
But now I've ran onto quite a few that are great all around and it's like "which one do I take with me:biggrin:

Names, Brudda, names!

Take-a-knee
2007-10-01, 22:34
Question for you "Steelheads". How does AUS-8 measure up in the pantheon of knife steels? ATS-34 is the best I've ever used.

Hollowdweller
2007-10-02, 14:51
Names, Brudda, names!

Nightwalker,

Totally love that avatar pic!!!!:adore:

Well I have several Nessmuk Variations I really like, then the Fallkniven F1, and then that Skookum knife all of those are really nice and work really well. Also Bark River Northstar I like a LOT.

Hollowdweller
2007-10-02, 14:54
Question for you "Steelheads". How does AUS-8 measure up in the pantheon of knife steels? ATS-34 is the best I've ever used.

TAK,

The VG 10 Stainless that Fallkniven uses is really good too! It's stainless but it sharpens and holds an edge like carbon almost.

I've not noticed any problems with the edge on the 01 stuff I have, but I HAVE noticed it is much more prone to staining and oxidation than the D2.