PDA

View Full Version : Sobo

SGT Rock
2003-01-17, 20:38
SOBO - slang for South Bound. A term used to describe which way a hiker is going on a trail, coined by Appalachian Trail thru-hikers, but can be applied to other trails with a general north-south orientation.

Red Hat
2008-10-25, 19:19
SOBO, a hiker who thinks he's good enough to do the hard part first. Found out I wasn't....

kayak karl
2008-10-25, 21:13
SOBO - slang for South Bound. A term used to describe which way a hiker is going on a trail, coined by Appalachian Trail thru-hikers, but can be applied to other trails with a general north-south orientation.we have a small trail in Jersey called the Batona Trail http://www.njpinelandsanddownjersey.com/open/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=11&MMN_position=36:3. hikers i talk to refer to it that way. you either do SOBO from Ong's Hat or NOBO from Bass River.

Bulldawg
2008-10-25, 21:37
Ran into a southbounder in the Smokeys today around Icewater Shelter, smelled like he hadn't showered since Maine. I swear to God I smelled the guy for like 15 minutes after we passed him. His odor permeated the trail behind him. I'm just saying, I know we all smell after a few days, but this was the WORSE I had ever experienced.

warraghiyagey
2008-10-28, 10:39
Likely similar to a NOBO near the end of the 100 mile wilderness.