PDA

View Full Version : BMT/AT loop in the Smokies

turtleman
2007-10-01, 14:32
Thinking of a southern smokies loop hike late October. Has anyone tried the AT over to Silers Bald then down Hazel creek and Lakeshore trail to the dam?
My alternative is a northern loop from Newfound Gap to Davenport, then back toward Smokemont to Kephart and back to Newfound Gap.

Yes, the turtleman is going ridge to valley and back this year!

SGT Rock
2007-10-02, 07:03
Ive done all the AT in the Smokies and recently did the northern half starting at Clingman's Dome. Water was an issue.

Lat I heard the AT is still dry from Shuckstack all the way to Derrik Knob. So if you do your plan you will have a long, dry section.

turtleman
2007-10-02, 18:30
Sounds like I need to stay low by the lake and creeks. I've done the ridgeline before, but it's not the same without the balsams.

Thanks for the sitrep.

SGT Rock
2007-10-02, 21:26
No problem.

MrSparex
2007-10-02, 23:05
I took my son up to Clingman's dome less than 2 weeks ago. Always an awesome sight.

turtleman
2007-10-18, 18:36
I figured out my route and made my reservations. Going out of Fontana via Lakeshore trail to Bear Creek trail - Cold Spring Gap over to Bone valley and Hazel creek. Then Jenkins Ridge to Pickens gap and follow the old creek trail back down to campsite 90 and out to the dam. Should be plenty of H2O in the creeks. I'm pokey, so this is a 6 day stroll with a side up Bone Valley trail. I heard it has lots of old houses and stuff still from the forties. I'll let y'all know if it's worth it week of the 28th. Yea! Out of the office for a whole week.