PDA

View Full Version : What is your luxury item?

dixicritter
2007-10-03, 10:19
Rock and I have been working to keep my pack weight as low as possible so that I can carry it without killing myself. So I have been using a digital camera that he bought while in Iraq this last time, however, I am so not happy with the picture quality as compared to my digital camera. I have a Sony CDMavica, that even though is only a 3.3 megapixel takes excellent pictures, however the thing weighs 646 grams (1 lb. 6 3/4 ozs).

I have decided that I'm willing to carry it though to get decent pictures while we are out hiking, since I was very disappointed to get home from the last trip to find that very few of the pictures I took were any good. They looked OK on the tiny screen of the camera, but once I got them on my computer they look horrible.

So, what is your "luxury item"?

Hollowdweller
2007-10-03, 11:39
DC,

I used to have one of the Sony Floppy Disc Mavicas and it blew me away how great pics it took even though it was like 1point something?? MP's.

Gray Blazer
2007-10-03, 11:51
My luxury item was my Everest self-inflating air mattress, but, after weighing it recently and finding out it weighed 7 lbs, I'm ditching it!

SGT Rock
2007-10-03, 12:13
Bourbon...

GGS
2007-10-03, 13:18
I'd have to say my electronic gadgets in general -

* Digital camera
* GPS
* MP3 player and lightweight clamshell speakers

The camera of course is nice to have

I rarely if ever use the GPS however it classifies as "emergency equipment"

As for the MP3 player I suffer from tinnitus and it is difficult for me to sleep in a totally quiet environment. Also too used to the city background noise. Kind of puts a damper on your backpacking trip when you lie sleepless all night. I recorded a fan running and spliced it into an hour long mp3 loop. I'll put the player and my clamshell speakers in the HH ridgeline bag. Makes a soft white noise that masks the ringing in my ears. Kinda helps chase away the bogeyman too. If it's a breezy night or we're camped by a bubbling brook I won't use it. Also have a playlist of new age music that I might play softly if I'm camping by myself and I'm just chilling by the campfire.

Mutinousdoug
2007-10-03, 13:27
Fishing tackle
Handgun
Distilled spirits
Usually twice as much food as I end up eating

pure_mahem
2007-10-03, 15:48
Fishing tackle
Handgun
Distilled spirits
Usually twice as much food as I end up eating
Same deal here!:beer:

steelespam
2007-10-03, 18:47
coffee making equipment

Turk
2007-10-03, 20:38
large drinking cup
whiskey or vodka .....
Need lighter habits. ;)

dropkick
2007-10-04, 02:36
I'm a reader
So books

deadeye
2007-10-04, 09:24
My initial thought was my Big Agnes insulated aircore inflatable pad (2.5" thick - comfy even cowboy camping on the rocks), but I think a good night's sleep is a necessity, not a luxury. So I guess my luxuries are a book, wet wipes:reddy: , and the occassional libation.

dixicritter
2007-10-04, 09:39
Cool responses! :D

Hollowdweller, I had one of those FD versions of the camera once upon a time too. The first one died a cruel wet death. LOL. Luckily my mom had one that she didn't want anymore so she gave it to me to replace mine. I used that camera until I bought this new one that does the CD's.

Hog On Ice
2007-10-04, 17:41
luxury item - well I guess for most places I go the bear canister is a luxury item - I mainly take it to have something to sit on in addition to keeping the mini bears at bay.

Bear
2007-10-04, 19:00
My chair. The type that sits on the ground and allows you to lean back a little. After a long day it feals great to be able to lean back a little and relax around the fire. My back thanks me each time I bring it on a hike.

Nightwalker
2007-10-04, 22:25
My electronic thermometer. I'm a geek, so sue me. At least my luxury item is light!

Once in a blue moon, I'll carry a book that I just can't wait to finish. I only do this if I'm not planning on hiking far, so I don't really count this. I always carry a small New Testament, but I don't count that as a luxury. I always get more out of reading my Bible in the woods than I do at home. Probably no explanation needed there. :)

KLeth
2007-10-05, 02:03
Books (1 1/4 book/person/week, this avoids bottlenecks when switching books)
Small bottle of Liquor (wife likes Drambuie, elsewise ruhm).
Hook and line.
Digital photo/video equipment.

But in general we tend to be comfortable on our hikes :biggrin:

Furlough
2007-10-05, 08:51
Dixie Critter,
Soon it will be my new Big Agnes 2.5 pad, and really my trusty old swiss army knife is overkill. I do use it a lot for little things, but I have a mini version I carry on my key chain that would work equally as well for the basic back packing chores. I've just carried that old swiss army knife every where for so many years it has become a habit.

Furlough

Hollowdweller
2007-10-05, 11:15
My initial thought was my Big Agnes insulated aircore inflatable pad (2.5" thick - comfy even cowboy camping on the rocks), but I think a good night's sleep is a necessity, not a luxury. So I guess my luxuries are a book, wet wipes:reddy: , and the occassional libation.

Deadeye. I picked up one of those this summer(Big Agnes) DAMN! I don't think I have ever slept more soundly backpacking!!!!!:adore:

Normally I roll from sore shoulder to sore shoulder on my trail pads but the Agnes gives me a full nights sleep:bandit:

deadeye
2007-10-05, 12:54
Deadeye. I picked up one of those this summer(Big Agnes) DAMN! I don't think I have ever slept more soundly backpacking!!!!!:adore:

Normally I roll from sore shoulder to sore shoulder on my trail pads but the Agnes gives me a full nights sleep:bandit:

Furlough, see what you can look forward to! This was the best investment I've made in years. Works great on the ground or in the hammock. I still carry 6 sections of z-rest to throw on the ground for lunch breaks, and then put the z-rest under Big Agnes at night to help extend Agnes' life span. Just wake up in the morning with a:biggrin: , or as close to it as I can get first thing in the morning.

I use the Colin Fletcher method of inflating: blow it up, let it cool, then lie on your side pressing your hip into the ground unnaturally hard. Let the air out until hip touches ground, and you're set. Too much air and you bob around like a cork.

Enjoy

Hollowdweller
2007-10-05, 15:58
Furlough, see what you can look forward to! This was the best investment I've made in years. Works great on the ground or in the hammock. I still carry 6 sections of z-rest to throw on the ground for lunch breaks, and then put the z-rest under Big Agnes at night to help extend Agnes' life span. Just wake up in the morning with a:biggrin: , or as close to it as I can get first thing in the morning.

I use the Colin Fletcher method of inflating: blow it up, let it cool, then lie on your side pressing your hip into the ground unnaturally hard. Let the air out until hip touches ground, and you're set. Too much air and you bob around like a cork.

Enjoy

I have a z rest too but don't bring it. the Agnes is slightly heavier but a bit more compact.

I agree on the inflation guidelines too. I have the Agnes and an inflatable pillow. I can hike way harder now that I get better sleep.:adore:

deadeye
2007-10-05, 17:11
Pillow! Now you've just gone waaay overboard:aetsch:

dropkick
2007-10-06, 01:25
Somehow I never considered my pillow as a luxury, it was more of a necessity for comfortable sleep.

Back when I slept on the ground all the time I had a small bag filled with styrofoam beads that I used. Sadly it died (badly) about a year ago (lots of vacuuming and muttered swear words).

I now use 1/2 a child's water wing and wrap it in a shirt.

-Occasionally if I have the room, I bring a feather or buckwheat pillow instead.
....the joys of vulgar excess...

Nightwalker
2007-10-06, 07:13
Somehow I never considered my pillow as a luxury, it was more of a necessity for comfortable sleep.

I have taken a "water wing" and cut the band. It makes a good pillow, but I don't need one in my hammock.

CoyoteWhips
2007-10-06, 08:08
Well, following the thread, I have a zippered flight pillow case. I usually put it on an inflated pillow that originally came with a cheap sleeping bag. However, it would likely serve just as well stuffed with pine needles, moss and leaves.

I gots to have my pillow.

Hollowdweller
2007-10-08, 14:42
Mine's just an inflatable pillow 12X18 I think it is from Campmor.

I also have this "Pillow" that is like a pillow case of sorts that you are supposed to fill with your shirt or whatever, but it fits perfectly over the inflatable pillow and keeps my head from sliging off it.:biggrin:

dropkick
2007-10-09, 02:00
Now that I'm a hammock camper I suppose that I could learn to sleep without the pillow.
But as I said before, I'm a reader, and I need my pillow to put my head in a comfortable position to do that.

SGT Rock
2007-10-09, 10:18
Now that I'm a hammock camper I suppose that I could learn to sleep without the pillow.
But as I said before, I'm a reader, and I need my pillow to put my head in a comfortable position to do that.
I still like to use a pillow - mine is a stuff sack full of stuff though.

Furlough
2007-10-09, 12:47

Enjoy

Thanks for the tip. Mine should arrive this week.

Tomcat1066
2007-10-13, 12:33
My luxuries are primarily a book, mostly when I'm solo and therefore have no one to talk to. I'm also known to take some good Irish whiskey along with me...though that's more of a necessity for me :D

Tom

fin24000
2007-10-18, 02:36
Mine would be my jansport carson 4lb external frame backpack....... but its so dang nice and I just bought it last year :D.... And when I go on boy scout trips I always have to pack extra (full uniform, flag, and heavy books) so the pack comes in handy then.

SGT Rock
2007-10-18, 05:36
Uniform and boots? Ouch.

I can understand a flag.

fin24000
2007-10-18, 16:10
yeah it adds about another 5-7lbs depending on the weather.....

deadeye
2007-10-18, 16:48
Along the flag train of thought, sorta:

I saw an ad (in Backpacker maybe) for inflatable Pink Flamingos on a stick. Sorta like the ornaments in front of your neighbor's lawn. Only a few ounces each. I always thought they'd be great "decorations" to stake out your hammock or tent. Good for a chuckle or two.

SGT Rock
2007-10-18, 17:27
I reckon I could fly a flag off my hammock at night.

What I really need is teike torches (sp?)

Turk
2007-10-18, 17:47
I want tacky inflatable lawn gnomes
and some tea light patio lanterns to string over my hammock.

Tomcat1066
2007-10-18, 18:40
I just remembered these gnome tent stakes I saw a while back. I might have to get those just to screw with people's heads :D

Tom

fin24000
2007-10-18, 19:48
well there are always this: http://cgi.ebay.com/LED-Battery-powered-Christmas-lights-BRIGHT-RED_W0QQitemZ200155909410QQcmdZViewItem
looks cool :P

deadeye
2007-10-18, 19:57
I just remembered these gnome tent stakes I saw a while back. I might have to get those just to screw with people's heads :D

Tom

Don't forget the pinwheels and glass gazing balls!:biggrin:

Tomcat1066
2007-10-18, 20:32
Don't forget the pinwheels and glass gazing balls!:biggrin:

Pinwheels aren't a problem, but the gazing balls...

Got to get some Lexan gazing balls first ;)

Tom

Amigi
2007-10-18, 23:15
Chocolate and coffee.

dixicritter
2007-10-19, 09:04
Chocolate and coffee.

I like those luxury items Amigi! :)

deadeye
2007-10-19, 09:33
Chocolate and coffee.

These are necessities in my book!

Nightwalker
2007-10-19, 20:47
Tea. Mmmm...

pure_mahem
2007-10-20, 00:43
well there are always this: http://cgi.ebay.com/LED-Battery-powered-Christmas-lights-BRIGHT-RED_W0QQitemZ200155909410QQcmdZViewItem
looks cool :P
Setting up a redlight district on the trail, lol. Couldn't use em with stealth camping..... Unless I were trying to blend in with a runway..........nono that won't work to much noise and high winds not good for the tarp..LOL!

fin24000
2007-10-20, 01:38
lol :P.... yeah I think it would be cool, they make them in alot of colors so you could use more then one set :P

pure_mahem
2007-10-21, 00:51
I could just see someone coming around the cornig going what the.......,LOL!

Iceman
2007-10-22, 08:12
I want tacky inflatable lawn gnomes
and some tea light patio lanterns to string over my hammock.

How about some xmas lights....?

SGT Rock
2007-10-22, 09:52
Reminds me of a thing I saw once about things I learned from outdoor catalogs.

Hog On Ice
2007-10-22, 21:02
was that anything like the stuff at http://www.thingsyouneverknew.com/

Survivor Dave
2007-11-04, 14:17
I guess I have to say the extra 454 grams for a two person tent. Not much else. Doesn't gram weight sound better than 1 pound?:biggrin:

SD

GuffAbbott
2007-11-05, 09:01
At just over a pound (with the headrest -- which is essential), nothing else improves the evening more than this little chair.

http://www.slinglite.com/

It fits in my Gearskin -- and even compresses the other gear better.

I usually hike into an interesting place, camp for a few days, then leave, so the chair really makes the whole trip more comfortable.

http://www.slinglite.com/SLCOLORSHTWEB.jpg

Sadly, the cute model is not included. :(

pure_mahem
2007-11-05, 11:25
For a DIY'er looks like you could almost make the chair part of the frame for your pack.

JRiker
2008-01-19, 11:45
luxury would definitely be my books. i found these books and B&N called the "classics". I bought socrates, plato, and aristotle, and have recently been carrying the socrates. i too like to carry a little bit of "spirits" for my coffee in the morning. i don't consider coffee a luxury as much as a necessity.

Hollowdweller
2008-01-24, 19:04
Along the flag train of thought, sorta:

I saw an ad (in Backpacker maybe) for inflatable Pink Flamingos on a stick. Sorta like the ornaments in front of your neighbor's lawn. Only a few ounces each. I always thought they'd be great "decorations" to stake out your hammock or tent. Good for a chuckle or two.

That would rock.

Or just pack in one of the plastic ones and put it peeking out of a hollow tree about 50 yards off the trail to freak people out:aetsch:

Hollowdweller
2008-01-24, 19:06
At just over a pound (with the headrest -- which is essential), nothing else improves the evening more than this little chair.

http://www.slinglite.com/

It fits in my Gearskin -- and even compresses the other gear better.

I usually hike into an interesting place, camp for a few days, then leave, so the chair really makes the whole trip more comfortable.

http://www.slinglite.com/SLCOLORSHTWEB.jpg

Sadly, the cute model is not included. :(

Some friends I packed with this summer had some of those. I liked them but I like to lay around the campfire

JPW
2008-01-25, 16:34
My K-bar. Don't really need it but I can chop wood with it. And a whittling knife.

yuppie_redneck
2008-02-04, 03:01
My wife.

She adds another 30 pounds to my pack, complains incessently about bugs, cold, hills, the heat, etc. Regardless, I sleep better with her there - and a good night's sleep can empower you.

Aside from that.

Rum. Moonshine is essential (fuel for stove, antiseptic, bear repellent) - so I don't count that.

Usually a tree root or 2 can make the shine taste like just about anything you want. Try soaking birch bark, pine needles or sap, dogwood flowers, and pecans in your shine for flavor. Oh, and if you can find it - add a touch of antifreeze!

Actually, if you have enough shine, EVERYTHING ELSE is a luxury.

:beer: