PDA

View Full Version : Pack Sniffer

SGT Rock
2007-10-08, 13:47
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...m=pack+sniffer (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pack+sniffer)

1. pack sniffer

A term of derision for someone who likes to hang out with people who go hiking and backpacking even though they themselves rarely (or never) hike or backpack.

The term especially applies to poseurs on internet forums devoted to hiking and backpacking.

Shit, Warren, you don't know anything about hiking, you're just a pack sniffer.

First spotted on the internet in 2005 on hikinghq.net

Take-a-knee
2007-10-08, 14:40
That's funny, judging by how often I've had a pack on my back lately, I guess I'm a pack sniffer.

sailingsoul
2007-10-08, 20:06
Sgt Rock, Do you remember that? Any one? Maybe urbandictionary reports urban legends. I'm not saying what's what but I tried to look up the term in the search engine provided on this site and couldn't get a hit. I was curious which brainiak posted that. Frankly I'd rather be called a packsniffer (true or not) than someone who would expose their inflated Ego by trying to insulting a fellow forum poster that way. I'd like to see that post. SS :captain:

SGT Rock
2007-10-08, 20:51
Here is the thread: http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1170&highlight=pack+sniffer

Iceman
2007-10-09, 00:13
Sniff, sniff,....hey what are you guys talking about......

Nightwalker
2007-10-10, 13:59
Someone is gonna call the wrong man's wife a pack sniffer one day, and then it's gonna get real nasty.

I'm just sayin'...

SGT Rock
2007-10-10, 14:15
You mean like my wife ;)

Nightwalker
2007-10-11, 21:23
You mean like my wife ;)

Well, since I met your wife on a hike, it wouldn't fit!

SGT Rock
2007-10-12, 08:40
Exactly. But I have met at least one pack sniffer. It is a useful term to get a person like that to go hike at least once so they are no longer a pack sniffer. Seems at the start of thru-hiker season you hear of a few people starting the trail that have never hiked before but been all over the boards talking about it for months - those would be pack sniffers until they finally hike. Some of those people tend to tell folks how great a stove, tent, or whatever is without ever have used it on a trail somewhere - that would be the epitome of a person that would be labeled a pack sniffer: someone that knows all about hiking and gear from reading but never has done any of it.

Gray Blazer
2007-10-12, 12:23
Exactly. But I have met at least one pack sniffer. It is a useful term to get a person like that to go hike at least once so they are no longer a pack sniffer. Seems at the start of thru-hiker season you hear of a few people starting the trail that have never hiked before but been all over the boards talking about it for months - those would be pack sniffers until they finally hike. Some of those people tend to tell folks how great a stove, tent, or whatever is without ever have used it on a trail somewhere - that would be the epitome of a person that would be labeled a pack sniffer: someone that knows all about hiking and gear from reading but never has done any of it.

So...pack sniffer = cyber hiker?

SGT Rock
2007-10-12, 17:08
It could be

Nightwalker
2007-10-13, 23:24
So...pack sniffer = cyber hiker?

Speaking of which, EasyHiker is starting another website. He seems to be on his meds, though. :)

SGT Rock
2007-10-14, 09:40
I hope he does well at it.

Nightwalker
2007-10-14, 23:14

You never know.

He's got a lot of anger going for him. That oughtta at least give him some energy.

Nightwalker
2007-10-15, 18:54

I've got to admit that I've been messing with you. I've known since before my first post on the subject that you two spoke at the gathering.

It just seemed too easy, so shoot (at) me (and miss, please). :)

Nightwalker
2007-10-19, 20:46
Hey Rock,

It has occurred to me recently that I may have hurt your feelings on this one. If I did, I'm truly sorry.

Sometimes I mess around when I shouldn't. I hope this wasn't one of them!

Frank

SGT Rock
2007-10-19, 20:58
When did you hurt my feelings?

Your apologizing for something that didn't happen man.

Nightwalker
2007-10-19, 21:58
When did you hurt my feelings?

Your apologizing for something that didn't happen man.

I was talking about the messing around about Dave. Glad I was wrong.

SGT Rock
2007-10-19, 22:26
No problem. I also got that Ti sheet in. I still have to find that one pattern.

Nightwalker
2007-10-19, 23:20
No problem. I also got that Ti sheet in. I still have to find that one pattern.

Cool!

P.S. Unlike Dave, I'm a bit nuts even when I take my meds...

:)

Amigi
2007-10-21, 21:35
Hmm, pack sniffer. I like it. We need a new term for the those that expound on about their wisdom of products, yet never used the freaking things. I've parted with some money from listening to ppl on WB who I thought new what they were talking about.
And damgum it, no reason to become cyberhikers ppl. As busy and full of crap as my life has been lately, I still find at least a six hour window every month at least to get out on a day hike. If youre like me, you know how energizing and relaxing that can be.

SGT Rock
2007-10-21, 22:18
Very. Just got back from Max Patch and had a great time. It was my wife's first full mile on the AT and she even saw her first Trail Shelter and signed the register.

deadeye
2007-10-22, 11:51
Hmm, pack sniffer. I like it. We need a new term for the those that expound on about their wisdom of products, yet never used the freaking things. I've parted with some money from listening to ppl on WB who I thought new what they were talking about.
And damgum it, no reason to become cyberhikers ppl. As busy and full of crap as my life has been lately, I still find at least a six hour window every month at least to get out on a day hike. If youre like me, you know how energizing and relaxing that can be.

6 hours a month!?!? I guess that sounds like me at 36... better make some changes before it kills you.:goodnight

Couchhikers? Trailpotatoes?

Amigi
2007-10-22, 21:01
deadeye, I normally hike every weekend. Especially now that its cooling off somewhat. But when I say my life has been full of crap lately, I really mean it. From parental health issues, to my car dying, to my grandmother being diagnosed with cancer, to getting another promotion at work ( more work ), to moving out of my wife's house... It been a shitty last three months. If I could, I'd saddle up next to Jack and Lone Wolf and wander the AT for the rest of my life. Really, I would.

Gray Blazer
2007-10-23, 18:45
Amigi,

I see you are back in town. Don't be a packsniffer. Are you coming to the FL Fall Gathering? You need to since you started the whole FL thing. It's Nov16, 17 18 at Juniper Springs. I'm gonna be there Sat with my pics. I sold my 1st one! And you'll never believe who bought it. Larry, the Only Wanderer is going to be my distributer in Damascus. If you need me to come pick you up just let me know. Your life is gonna get better one day. Keep the Faith, brother. Frieden was asking about you. Peace and love.......JJ

Amigi
2007-10-23, 19:52
I will absolutely do my damnest to be there. I'll shoot you an email with my new #. Give me a call. We have a lot to catch up on.

MalTheElder
2007-10-23, 23:27
. . . Are you coming to the FL Fall Gathering? You need to since you started the whole FL thing. It's Nov16, 17 18 at Juniper Springs. . . .

Troops, I'm in Sparr, FL. What's the skinny on the Fall Gathering? I've haven't been out since I tried a 7/70 on the Ocala East with Cricket and some others in February. The half-foot crapped out and I had to abandon at the 88 Store. I'm anxious to start trying to get back out in the Forest, esp. now that the heat's breaking.

Best,
Half Step