PDA

View Full Version : Florida Fall Gathering

Gray Blazer
2007-10-24, 11:53
Hello all, this is for Mal the Elder in Sparr (just down the road from me. Do you live by John Travolta?) and everyone who might be interested in coming to the FL Fall Gathering. There is more info on WhiteBlaze if you ever happen to hang out there. The dates are Nov 16, 17 and 18. The location is Juniper Springs in the Ocala National Forest. I don't know if it's too late to reserve a camping spot (it would have been nice to locate at a free spot on the FT, but this is the groups decision). I will be there all day Sat. Hopefully there will be a used gear exchange/demo/whatever. There is music planned for Fri and Sat night (impromptu jam session). People will be hiking and canoeing on Sat.

MalTheElder
2007-10-24, 17:06
Grey Blazer,

Sounds like a good deal. Off hand, do you know the $$$ for the sites. I'm guessing the group isn't going primitive, though I could stand it if necessary. I'm up for sharing a site and expenses if that's in order, too.

It would be nice to run into some people I've met on the Ocala Trail. Trailtalker, Flamingo & Cricket kept a check on me when I was crapping out on the Feb. 7/70. It would be nice to see them all when I'm not falling out :embarasse

My email is in my profile here, if you need it.

I need some time out in the woods, for sure!

Half Step/Mal

Gray Blazer
2007-10-25, 08:42
I posted all the info I know about it. For more info go to whiteblaze.net and check out the thread titled Florida Fall Gathering.

Amigi
2007-10-25, 19:24
$17.50 per site, two tent - four ppl max ( doesnt include kids).

MalTheElder
2007-10-25, 22:25
I posted all the info I know about it. . . .

Duly noted, and I have. Thanks!

I've been trying all evening to find a way to reserve a site online, but no-go. Anyone had any luck? Can phone reservations be made, or do I need to drive out to the Springs. I've got my eye on site 73, for no particular reason other than it being in the FFG area.

Ayuda me, por favor!

I'm also cross-posting this on WB---forgive me.

Best,
Mal

MalTheElder
2007-10-25, 22:35
By the way, I'll be bringing my six-string to the FFG, presuming I score a site to hang hammock. I've also got a little Wally World SOT raft (1 person) and a 17+ ft. tupperware canoe w/paddles (2-person minimum). Anyone want to share that one for a river run? It's not a one-person craft. Let me know, kids.

Best,
Mal

Amigi
2007-10-26, 06:05
Mal, to answer some of your questions:

As best as I can remember, only the large sites can be reserved.

I wouldnt worry, there will be plenty open for you to pick from.

And, plastic canoes at Juniper are like knives at gunfights, bad idea. Have you ever done that stretch of the run? It's a bit advanced. Not that it's that hard, but ppl end up running into all kinds of crap like logs, trees, hedges, and like. While Alexander is a pleasant coast along run, Juniper is a bit more...fun.

MalTheElder
2007-10-26, 11:41
[quote=Amigi;21303As best as I can remember, only the large sites can be reserved. . . . And, plastic canoes at Juniper are like knives at gunfights, bad idea. Have you ever done that stretch of the run?[/quote]

Duly noted.

I used to be quite familiar with Juniper Run and most of the other rivers from the Suwannee to the Withlacoochee, and all points in between. I used to stealth camp along it, like 20 years ago. Still, thanks for the heads up!

The "tupperware" canoe is a heavy-duty Coleman kevlar canoe. It's been over the drops at Big Shoals, and has seen time at Juniper as well. Believe me, it's bulletproof (pun intended). But I ain't paddling it solo.

See ya there.
Mal/Half Step

Amigi
2007-10-27, 12:13
Well now, you didnt say is was bulletproof. I'll do it with ya. I am trying to get shit organized so I can go. GrayBlazer, you must stay more than one day. I call BS if you dont. I have my 16x10 tent, you can stay with me. I bought two cans of waterproofing spray so I dont have to sleep in a kiddie pool, like last time.... I still believe I forgot to waterproof it...

MalTheElder
2007-10-27, 15:38
Cool beans, Amigi. Be warned, I haven't canoed in a while---kayaked, yes. I'm also fetching my guitar and my spare HH hex-tarp. Too bad I have no extra hammock, then GB would definitely have a dry place to sleep :biggrin:

Best,
Mal/Half Step

Amigi
2007-10-27, 20:44
Oh, the story is:
I had just got back to Florida following my stroke, and wanted to get out camping/hiking again. The first Florida gathering got organized. I hadnt touched my camping gear in two years. I met frieden and GrayBlazer at Alexander. Well, it rained. Real hard. For two days. In my tent. It sucked.
My 16x10 swimming pool on right and the fog generated from all the rain the day before.

Gray Blazer
2007-10-30, 08:59
Did Einstien send anybody else a private message? I thought he was dead.

SGT Rock
2007-10-30, 09:06
What is he spamming you with?

MalTheElder
2007-10-30, 18:36
Did Einstien send anybody else a private message? I thought he was dead.

Ya, I got one last night, too. I figured it was from a noob or a spammer, so I shined it on. Who is this cat?

Mal/HS

SGT Rock
2007-10-30, 18:45
Someone that is gone now.

Gray Blazer
2007-10-31, 11:35
Cool beans, Amigi. Be warned, I haven't canoed in a while---kayaked, yes. I'm also fetching my guitar and my spare HH hex-tarp. Too bad I have no extra hammock, then GB would definitely have a dry place to sleep :biggrin:

Best,
Mal/Half Step

My sleep system was tested last Apr right next to a lot of AT thru-hikers and, although it's heavier than most it #1 did not fall down in the big storm in the middle of the night and #2 I did not wake up soaking wet/freezing cold in a big puddle like a lot of the thrubees did.:biggrin:

MalTheElder
2007-11-01, 12:46
. . . #1 did not fall down in the big storm in the middle of the night and #2 I did not wake up soaking wet/freezing cold in a big puddle like a lot of the thrubees did.:biggrin:

What more can one ask?

I look forward to meeting you at the FFG; it should be a blast.

G'Morning, all!
Half Step/Mal

Amigi
2007-11-01, 12:52
GB is a cool dude. Hard not to like him. Easier after he showers, so catch him on Saturdays...

Gray Blazer
2011-01-09, 20:27
GB is a cool dude. Hard not to like him. Easier after he showers, so catch him on Saturdays...
I'm an ass. Come on everybody start posting.

Kanga
2011-01-09, 21:29
i like you anyway. i haven't figured out why, though.

Gray Blazer
2011-01-09, 22:05
i like you anyway. i haven't figured out why, though.

I love you. Chief Duffy has never met you, but, he's got the hots for you.

Big Mac
2011-01-09, 22:56
I love you. Chief Duffy has never met you, but, he's got the hots for you.

Explains itself. :ahhhhh:

Kanga
2011-01-10, 01:06
Explains itself. :ahhhhh:

you stfu!