PDA

View Full Version : Asking digital camera advice again

dropkick
2007-10-29, 00:08
The digital camera Christmas present is looking very positive this year.

Today I was questioned about the features I want and asked questions that make me nervous like: "What's a Mp?"
Hopefully I cleared up most of those questions - also hopefully I'll get to make the final choice myself.

I would like a camera with a minimum of these features:
3x optical zoom
At least 6 Mp
Able to take fairly close pictures (I sometimes like to take pictures of bugs and plants)
If can take both xd and sd memory cards that's a bonus.
I would prefer it to use off the shelf batteries if possible.
Easy computer interface.
Water resistant (or even better water proof).
Around or under $200

As new cameras come out all the time and it has been a while since I last asked this question I thought I'd ask again.
"What do you recommend?"

Also I've been leaning toward the Fuji brand - any experiences with Fuji cameras?

pure_mahem
2007-10-29, 11:29
For your price range your probably looking at an sd only slot most of the technology is moving in that direction with the exception of sony. Also for your price range a higher optical zoom of say 5-7x would totally be possible, opticle zoom gives you the clearest pictures for later photo shop work. The waterproof part you got me on but I've heard others post and talk about an olympus model that was waterproof I'm sure they'll post in on this. Personally I never consider anything that costs me a lot of money waterproof unless it's a rainjacket. Electronics and water don't mix....snap,snap,fiz,fiz....leads to DOH and pop,pop,fiz,fiz.

GGS
2007-10-29, 15:39
I'd still recommend the Olympus Stylus 780, per our other thread on this subject, http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2243. Price has dropped to around $230

Staying under $200, the Stylus 760 can be had for $160 nowadays.

These meet or exceed your requirements with the following exceptions: Proprietary battery (you can get a spare for under $30), uses only xD memory cards.

dixicritter
2007-10-29, 19:47
Kodak Easy Share M753 - 7Mp (that's megapixel), with 3x optical zoom and 5x digital zoom, has TONS of other features too. One of which I'm dying to try out, it'll take panoramic shots by "stitching" two to three pictures together.

It runs around $150, although the Kodak site had them on sale the other day. I got lucky and found mine on ebay for less than $100.

Here's a sample of the picture quality...

Edit to add... the ones that use off the shelf batteries actually don't save you that much in battery life in my experience. This one recharges via a usb cable and you can get a car charger now that has a usb connection in it to plug into that also has a wall plug.

sailingsoul
2007-10-31, 01:01
you could do a word search in the forums for,,,,digital camera, olympus stylus, etc. There has been discussions on this before. As I said before and still "water resistance or water proof " is a must with me! I like the olympus, stylus series using XD memory card. Happy hunting. SS :captain:

pure_mahem
2007-10-31, 01:06
Checked out the Olympus online and it looks like the way to go, waterproof to 10 feet, May have to get a new camera or at least add it to the wishlist.

dropkick
2007-11-07, 03:16
I got impatient (3 years is a long time to wait) bought an old Canon s200 off eBay for $50. I'm also getting a couple of cards, a charger, 2 batteries, software, and a USB cord in the deal - I think I did pretty well.

I'm sure I'm still getting a camera for X-mas this year, but I'm trying to get them to get me a higher end model.

I figure I'll keep the Canon as a knock around and use the other for special occasions.

Just waiting for the mail. Hopefully it'll be here tomorrow or the next day.

JAK
2007-11-07, 15:04
I have a digital camera, can't remember make or model, and I am having some grief with battery life. Takes 2 AA I believe. Used cheapo batteries on last trip and only got 3 pics. Now the camera may have packed it in so I am in the market for another.

I am not too concerned about features, but:
What sort of battery life should I expect from a Digital Camera?
What are the best AA batteries or rechargeable AA batteries to use?

pure_mahem
2007-11-07, 15:44
One way to save battery life is to keep the view screen off until your ready to take a picture that is what burns up the batteries. also for disposable look at the lithium batteries specifically made for cameras they do last longer they also sell a decent rechargable in the same area. If your shopping in a walmart type store they usually don't keep these batteries with the ones you find out on the floor, You have to go into the electronics/photo department to get them. If the Wally world you go to has a photodevelopment place a one hour and not a send out they will be somewhere around there. If it doesn't have a photo development place they will be in the electronics Dept. it all depends on the size of the store. If you use the regular AA they have a really bad tendency of doing what you said couple of pics and dead! Hope this helped JAK!

GGS
2007-11-07, 16:13
I have a digital camera, can't remember make or model, and I am having some grief with battery life. Takes 2 AA I believe. Used cheapo batteries on last trip and only got 3 pics. Now the camera may have packed it in so I am in the market for another.

I am not too concerned about features, but:
What sort of battery life should I expect from a Digital Camera?
What are the best AA batteries or rechargeable AA batteries to use?

Older digital cameras are battery hogs. So depending on how old your camera is that may be part of the problem. We have an old digital here at work where we can drain a 4pack of AAs in a single photo event.

In order of SHORTEST life to LONGEST life:

"Heavy Duty" (should be renamed to "wimpy duty" imho)
Alkaline
Alkaline "High Drain"
NiMH

Great article on types of batteries here http://michaelbluejay.com/batteries/

I should add, the TYPE of battery is important, the BRAND of battery is not. So generic alkalines really aren't that different in performance to Energizer alkalines, for example.

Geo.
2007-11-29, 16:49
I'll back up the votes for the Olympus stylus - I use one (they call the model Olympus MJU here) and it is excellent. It's had some rough use from me and been kept in pretty damp conditions for periods of time with no problem. I even dropped it from head height onto rock (not the Sarge) once and it survived good as new. Bottom line, it's tough, small, moisture proof, reasonably priced and does the biz. :)
Cheers, Geo.

Hollowdweller
2007-11-30, 12:00
I have a Casio Ex Slim. Very small and takes really good close ups.