PDA

View Full Version : Warm Enough?

Survivor Dave
2007-11-04, 14:03
I originally posted this on WB:

I have a 25* #2 SuperStretch MontBell UL 800 down bag and will be leaving mid March. I have tried it in 35 degrees and baked in it pretty much. My preference of sleeping arrangements is my tent. I have found it to be more peaceful and warmer than the shelters.
Do y'all think with a bit of proper layering, I'll have enough bag? I really like it and spent a good bit. I just don't want to spend an additional $55 for a 15* or worse $115 for the 0*. The outfitter will take it back and refund or swap up. They are flexible.
I will be hiking from Neels to Unicoi this week for a prep hike. Temps in Atlanta will be hovering around 32* for the low. That means low to mid 20's for the Trail.

Any thoughts? Any one else with the same bag?

I posted the link below for specs if you are interested.

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=28&p_id=1121726

ezdoesit
2007-11-04, 16:45
Dave,
I feel you will be fine with your 25% bag especially if you stay in your tent. A tent is usually 10% warmer then outside temps. Plus as you say with a little bit of layering you will be just fine.
By the way I might run into out there I'll be starting on March, 20th

dropkick
2007-11-04, 16:48
Bring a sheet for a liner.
I don't know about anyone else, but a percale (not flannel) sheet adds at least 20 degrees to my bag and it doesn't make me overheat in warmer weather.
I carry one year round.

P.S. I also fold the sheet in half, sew across the bottom and about 2 feet up the side closing the end and forming a pocket. This makes it easier to put into my bag and keeps it from riding up at night. -Not necessary but handy.

dropkick
2007-11-04, 16:51
Oh and make sure you have a good pad. You can lose a lot of your warmth where the bag is compressed into the ground.

Survivor Dave
2007-11-04, 17:12
Oh and make sure you have a good pad. You can lose a lot of your warmth where the bag is compressed into the ground.

Thanks EZ and Drop.

As far as the pad issue, I have decided to go with a Trail Lite Small pad. It measures 20x47x1.5 and the R value is 3.8. The reason besides the weight thing is that I will use my pack as my headrest and I sleep in the curled position on my side. I tried it out and it seems to work ok. The difference in weight with the full 72" pad is around 5 or 6 oz. I looked at the ProLite 3 and 4, and found them to be heavier than the original Thermarest.
I even looked into the womens 60 and 66 inch lengths but they weigh as much as the regular 72's. Go figure. I hope I don't eat those words this week. I will try the liner idea as well. Never used one before. I just have to make sure that the girth is the same as the largest it is for the bag in it's completely stretched out position.

Thanks!

SD

Take-a-knee
2007-11-04, 22:08
Dave, if you plan to stretch your bags rating with clothes, make sure you have room for them.

Maybe some sort of overbag would work to get you up the trail. I have an old overbag insulated with a thin layer of thermolite that I've used with a poncho liner inside down to freezing, it weighs a little over a pound. Maybe something like a JRB No Sniveler quilt draped over your bag, if you made it with a headhole it would also serve as camp gear. If you made something like this from a quilt kit from Ray Jardine it wouldn't cost too much. I would just use one layer of polarguard.

SGT Rock
2007-11-11, 09:46
Nice avatar.

Survivor Dave
2007-11-12, 14:26
I hiked this weekend and camped on top of Wildcat Mountain. Temps were in the low to mid 20's. The answer to my own question is YES, it was warm enough. Actually a bit warmer. I wore a minimal base layer and was warm but not hot. Thanks for the input.

A few pics from hike. Wildcat Mountain sunset, the Kuntry Kondo, and a view off of Cowrock Mountain, and another one off of Wildcat near Whitley Gap Shelter. Just awesome.....

SD