PDA

View Full Version : Water Filters

pure_mahem
2007-11-08, 01:18
I'm considering buying a new water filter before next spring. I've been looking at the MSR MiniWorks EX Filter, does anyone have any experience with this filter or do you have a different one that you would recomend?

dropkick
2007-11-08, 05:43
If you filter your water with your underwear I recommend using a clean pair.

Sorry, but I'm one of the iodine people and I couldn't help it.
Haven't ever used a purchased filter so I'm not much help.

-And I have used underwear as a filter.

Lone Wolf
2007-11-08, 06:53
and i've never filtered or treated water. always drink it straight

Turk
2007-11-08, 08:05
have you seen or considered the new Aquamira Frontier pro?
It looks awesome.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/aquamira_frontier_pro_filter.html

sailingsoul
2007-11-08, 10:15
I wonder how many gallons the Aquamira is rated at? That would be a factor for consideration. SS :captain:

deadeye
2007-11-08, 12:18
Here's what I use, and I've been very satisfied. Available at Campmor, Backcountrygear.com, and all over. Very simple, inexpensive, easy to get replacement filters (Campmor sells 'em for less than suggested retail) and other brands of filters will fit. Just dip your bottle in the stream and go. When I need to carry a large volume of water, no problem, I just fill up a 2 liter platy, and refill my bottle as I go - no need to spend time filtering large quantities of water.

I've used the system for about 5 years - the print is wearing off the bottle, that's the only sign of wear. I've never had any kind of failure or problem. One filter is good for a full season of day trips and weekends, or about 2 months of daily thru-hiking use. Each filter is advertised as good for 50 gallons.

http://www.aquamira.com/consumer/aquamira-water-bottle-and-filter

deadeye
2007-11-08, 12:21
It looks awesome.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/aquamira_frontier_pro_filter.html

But this looks promising, too. For a few bucks, seems worth a try.

Cerberus
2007-11-08, 13:19
The website for Aquamira says the Frontier Pro is good for 50 gallons. I just want to see a video or something of it being used.

BigJohn
2007-11-08, 17:01
Here's what I use, and I've been very satisfied. Available at Campmor, Backcountrygear.com, and all over. Very simple, inexpensive, easy to get replacement filters (Campmor sells 'em for less than suggested retail) and other brands of filters will fit. Just dip your bottle in the stream and go. When I need to carry a large volume of water, no problem, I just fill up a 2 liter platy, and refill my bottle as I go - no need to spend time filtering large quantities of water.
http://www.aquamira.com/consumer/aquamira-water-bottle-and-filter

Since the manufacturer says the filter is compatible with the nalgene bottles...would it be possible to just buy the filter and couple it with a wide-mouthed 3-liter hydration pack? That way, when I want to re-fill my water bottle (re-used Power-aid bottle) all I would need to do is pour from the hydration pack to the power-aid bottle...would that work?

Amigi
2007-11-08, 18:02
I use an MSR Sweetwater. Easy to find filters, pretty light, water tastes great, and it fills fast.

L Wolf doesnt filter, but he's also immune to radioactivity, VX, and anthrax. Take what he says with a grain of salt. I'd like to see him follow his advice on the Florida Trail....

ezdoesit
2007-11-08, 20:30
I use the Steripen and love it.
http://www.steripen.com/proven_in_lab.html

Geo.
2007-11-08, 22:46
It looks awesome.

Hello Turk,
Looks pretty good, but I came across these figures quoted for filter pore sizes on another site and as there seemed to be quite a difference between the AFP and a couple of the leaders, wondered if it could be an issue in some areas...

Aquamira FP ... 3.0 microns

Katadyn ... 0.3 microns

MSR ... 0.2 microns

Maybe the larger pore size is needed as the water is not getting 'pumped' through?

oops56
2007-11-08, 22:46
I use the Steripen and love it.
http://www.steripen.com/proven_in_lab.html
yep but also need filter to get that mud or dirt out right

BigJohn
2007-11-08, 23:19
Hello Turk,
Looks pretty good, but I came across these figures quoted for filter pore sizes on another site and as there seemed to be quite a difference between the AFP and a couple of the leaders, wondered if it could be an issue in some areas...

Prove me if I'm wrong (and I trust you will) It also appears the whole thing is desposable with no replacement filters. I didn't see any on the website at least...you'll shell out 20 bucks every time you want a new filter. Good overall idea though. I like the price too.

pure_mahem
2007-11-09, 01:15
Currently checking out the new Katadyn Vario its .3 microns vs. the MSR with .2 microns but it also pumps 2 liters a minute vs. 1 liter probably the same at the prolonged filter life stage but at high flow where the water looks clean 2 liters a min. looks like my new option. Still searching.

I like the idea of the steripen but it's kind of expensive and your still drinking the dirt and all the dead microbes that are still remaining in the water, JMO.

Scout
2007-11-09, 07:18
...does anyone have any experience with this filter or do you have a different one that you would recomend?

I have an old MSR Waterworks II (which looks very similiar to your Miniworks EX). I purchased it years ago but haven't had any problems with it.

It screws directly to my Nalgene and Dromedary bottle/bladder which makes it easy to fill with no spills and no hassle. I can even be lazy and day dream while I pump without having to watch. Maybe I am just lazy? :boring:

Regardless of what type you get, I would HIGHLY recommend a model that will screw into your storage container.

I personally haven't tried the tablets or drops - but can atest to the fact that there have been many times while hiking the A.T. in the summer, on a mountain, where the only water available was drawn from a muddy puddle.

So, in that case, I don't know how the drops would help but i am sure the extra nutrients from the dirt and grit would be useful anyhow!

Amigi
2007-11-09, 07:21
I did a few hours of research into the Steripen over at WB a couple years ago. The thread is there for those who want to read it. All I remember is that it eats batteries and has no documented proof that it works under trail conditions. Notice the web page, every shot of it, it's in a "thin" glass. Any water that it "cleans must be within 1" of the light source for ( dont quote me on this ) I think 20-30 secs. Have to check on that.
Counties use UV tech to clean water, also. But if you look at how a county plant applies this tech, you could make the logical leap and conclude this thing is useless. Water plants pass water between two pipes, one inside the other. The gap is 1/4" and the inner pipe is clear allowing the UV light through. The water is never more that 1/4" away and passes under UV for a full min. Those specs attain a 99.97% kill factor.
I'll stick to proven, eco-friendly ( the batteries ) technology and keep my filter.

Lone Wolf
2007-11-09, 08:24
I'd like to see him follow his advice on the Florida Trail....

i have, genius

GuffAbbott
2007-11-09, 08:42
I have started using the Katadyn Base Camp filter -- basically a 2 1/2 gallon bag with the Hiker Pro filter inside. It uses gravity to drain water you collect into whatever container you choose. It has a 200 gallon life and a reasonable rate of filtering. I just sit there -- or do other camp tasks -- while gravity does the work. A small valve allows you to start and stop flow. It weighs no more than the Hiker Pro and is VERY convenient -- especially for two or more hikers. It packs down to about the size of the Hiker Pro. You just need to use reasonable care in packing it for hiking because it has no hard plastic sides to protect the pleated filter.

http://www.campmor.com/images/acc/larger/81915_l.jpg

Thudley
2007-11-09, 16:57
and i've never filtered or treated water. always drink it straight

Very brave, but we need some more info here. Do you mean that you're drinking unfiltered ground/stream/pond water with no treatment? Do you do anything to purify the water before you drink it straight? Are you immune to the diseases that the rest of us suffer from by ingesting untreated water. :nurse:

Amigi
2007-11-09, 22:17
Very brave, but we need some more info here. Do you mean that you're drinking unfiltered ground/stream/pond water with no treatment? Do you do anything to purify the water before you drink it straight? Are you immune to the diseases that the rest of us suffer from by ingesting untreated water. :nurse:

I've had an ongoing argument with "independently wealthy" for a couple years now about this. He says he never treats and I believe him, on the AT. But on the FT... maybe if you hike from Alexander to Juniper to Silver on the trail, you wouldnt need to treat. I dont treat at springs either. But springs on the whole FT are few and far. I'll take some pics tommorrow of water sources on the FT, and ya'll can tell me if you'd drink it without filtering.

sailingsoul
2007-11-10, 09:24
Wow! This is funny. I'm not at all surprised to see posted anyone saying they never treat. What's funny is that some are shocked to read it. L'wolf proves that drinking water poses NO risk at all. I don't think he is immune. He hasn't drank polluted or contaminated water, that's all. I filter, always. Not because water is bad but because you never know when it is. SS :captain:

Iceman
2007-11-10, 09:54
Deadeye is right on. I use Aquamira or similar for when just myself. Easy to use, just enough. Dry it out well at home and stow for next time. Just used mine during an elk hunt, very handy.

deadeye
2007-11-10, 16:11
Wow! This is funny. I'm not at all surprised to see posted anyone saying they never treat. What's funny is that some are shocked to read it. L'wolf proves that drinking water poses NO risk at all. I don't think he is immune. He hasn't drank polluted or contaminated water, that's all. I filter, always. Not because water is bad but because you never know when it is. SS :captain:

L Wolf hasn't proven that drinking untreated water poses no risk. He's either been very careful about the untreated water he does drink, or he's been lucky, and probably a combination.

I drank untreated water for 30 years without getting sick, but there are more people than ever in the woods. I now filter or treat, and am careful of my personal hygeine.

Doing an unwise deed may times without ill effect doesn't prove it to be wise, grasshopper.

Lone Wolf
2007-11-10, 16:28
i've done 5 thru-hikes and a total of 16,000 miles on the AT in the last 21 years. I have never filterd or treated any water. never been sick either.

Bear
2007-11-10, 18:37
5 thru hikes and never been sick. I'm glad for you, but it only takes once. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure... I'll continue to use my MSR sweet water and gladly carry the extra pound.

I'm trying to say you are wrong, but I am not willing to take the risk. If not treating works for you, more power to you.

Lone Wolf
2007-11-10, 22:45
i don't buy into to marketing, fear and paranoia like most hikers do. that's all. the water is very safe out there

Amigi
2007-11-11, 10:46
Section from SR46 to SR44, about 15 or more miles. In 84F weather (yesterday), do you think you could carry enough water for two ppl (Beth wears no pack) to make it that far without having to fill along the way?
Drink up straight? I dont think so.

Bog water
More Bog Water
Water source for a primitive campsite. Mmm, mmm. Bet that film just sticks to your ribs. No need to cook tonight!

I'm calling BS on anyone who says they dont filter on the FT. It's one thing if you find a spring, because I dont filter spring water either. But I dont know a single FT hiker that doesnt filter every other watersource. Not one, and I 've met hundreds over the years.
I understand the difference between the AT and the FT. I've hiked a bit of both. There have been times I havent filtered on the AT. But, that "advice" here is pure assaninity here. Thousands of Spanish settlers died of dysentery here, and ppl still do every year. I dont hear that about AT towns.
Recent data for Florida waterbourne illness, 2006
917 cases of CAMPYLOBACTERIOSIS
577 cases of CRYPTOSPORIDIOSIS
1123 cases of GIARDIASIS
63 cases of malaria ( insect bite or ingestion of mosquito-laden water )
1351 cases of SHIGELLOSIS ( not all from water, but most are )
15 cases of TYPHOID FEVER ( not all from water )
No data found of Amebiosis, almost 100% fatal. It'd been in the news all summer. Four kids died in my area in July from swimming ( getting water in their noses ) in ponds and streams.

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/disease_ctrl/epi/Disease_Table/2007_Weeks/dt_Week120071.HTML

Drink up LW.

Lone Wolf
2007-11-11, 10:57
a real hiker wouldn't consider hiking in florida. it's hardly a wilderness trail

Amigi
2007-11-11, 11:00
a real hiker wouldn't consider hiking in florida. it's hardly a wilderness trail

I thought you'd hiked in Florida? What's that make you?

Oh, there was water at the end of my hike. It's a river called Blackwater.

And I filtered....

oops56
2007-11-13, 10:26
O K now that you all got them water filters what ever they my be. Here is a good water disinfectant i just order two and they are cheap

http://www.campingsurvival.com/popuwadi.html

Amigi
2007-11-13, 18:32
Man, talking water treatment within the hiking community is like talking religion in a bar...

sailingsoul
2007-11-13, 19:29
Well said. All this talk about filter, don't filter, treat and don't treat. All of this made me thirsty. I say drink beer, it's safe. :beer:

pure_mahem
2007-11-13, 19:40
make wine in your platy just dont drink it before its ready,lol!

oops56
2007-11-13, 20:08
Beer is not safe they say it kills some brain cells lost of memory well i stop drinking beer 3 years ago i still cant find my beer.That i been saving.

dropkick
2007-11-14, 02:48
Man, talking water treatment within the hiking community is like talking religion in a bar...
I'm sticking with my iodine.
Hail Satan! :rock:

Amigi
2007-11-14, 17:24
I'm sticking with my iodine.
Hail Satan! :rock:

Your iodine will be sticking with you, in your liver...
Hail Veritas!:adore: :thrasher:

Honestly, using Polar Pure, iodine crystals, or Aqua Mira for short trips in not hazardous at all. However, when used on a thruhike ( 4-6 months, something none of this was ever intended for ), you do expose yourself to health risks. I did a thread on WB about the long term side effects of intaking sodium hypochlorite ( Aqua Mira ) over the course of a thru.
Iodine has the nasty tendecy to make urination slow or stop, to a point where waste can back up into the kidneys. Couple that with increased thirst and diarrhea from excessive iodine, and you've got a messy situation. These points are cited everywhere you look about iodine overdoses, so I'm not gonna cite it here.
Veritas.

MalTheElder
2007-11-14, 17:30

<flame>
May we invite y'all to join us in the Big Cypress portion of the 'Glades and try to follow us north? I darn sure wouldn't drink that water without serious filtering and treatment. YMMV. Of course if you like 'gator crap in your H2O, go for it.

The FT varies from pretty well groomed to as rough as you like, and a given section can vary widely through the year. I imagine most trails have variations like that.

So, anyway, y'all think we can cease with the pissing contest? Sheesh!
</flame>

HYOH folks,
Half Step

BigJohn
2007-11-14, 17:54
Since the manufacturer says the filter is compatible with the nalgene bottles...would it be possible to just buy the filter and couple it with a wide-mouthed 3-liter hydration pack? That way, when I want to re-fill my water bottle (re-used Power-aid bottle) all I would need to do is pour from the hydration pack to the power-aid bottle...would that work?

Does anyone have experience with my question? Can this be done? (from post #9)