PDA

View Full Version : Pics from Weekend Trip

Amigi
2007-11-12, 20:56
To all my amigios here on HQ who are stuck in the snow and the cold, here are some pics from my dayhike on the FT on Sat.

Also, some may know and some may not and some may not care, but a surprise at the end...

As always, the blaze:

A dead cypress tree marking the "hard part" in this section ( no water and no shade for awhile ):

This is neat. It's a lightning strike. These happen all the time. The lightning sets the ground aflame, but the following storm puts it out. This one is about six weeks old by the age of the plants.

The type of campsite I'm used to staying at on the FT:

The new sites being constructed:

Whoo, yes they are building shelters along the FT now. Some may not like that, but I think it's freaking awesome. Not enough ppl hike the FT for the downsides to occur that make ppl not like the shelters on the AT.

Flora and fauna below.

Turk
2007-11-12, 21:01
Great pics. Thanks for sharing. I love to see terrain so wildly different from what I am used to. It makes it all the more exotic.

Amigi
2007-11-12, 21:08
One very large Banana Spider. Could someone tell them to stop building webs across trails if they're gonna be so poisonous?
Ya'll know my love of herpetology. Here's a pygmy, bout a foot from the camera, in the spirit of Steve Irwin (oops, not this one, but I have one:) ):
Snap shot of a scrubjay that landing three feet from me. First time that's happened.
Two pics of the BIGGEST grasshopper I have ever seen. That's my hand, and I dont have small hands. Either he was taking Boldenone or he drank water from the Indian River Nuke Plant. He was just huge, and stayed right there, letting me pet him, mess with him, etc. He never gave me the impression he had any need to hop away, he just sat there...

Amigi
2007-11-12, 21:11
Lastly, I didnt get to take any pics of the jackasses with two long rifles and a shotgun in state park out of hunting season. They were capping shots off every two mins or so. It didnt bother me that much ( wonder why? ) but it scared Beth to death. Guesstimate at 300 yards away, so the shotgun wasnt a worry and the longs were trailing away from us, but she doesnt know that. Assholes.

Skidsteer
2007-11-13, 23:25
Two pics of the BIGGEST grasshopper I have ever seen. That's my hand, and I dont have small hands. Either he was taking Boldenone or he drank water from the Indian River Nuke Plant. He was just huge, and stayed right there, letting me pet him, mess with him, etc. He never gave me the impression he had any need to hop away, he just sat there...

I guess he decided there wasn't enough meat on your hand to bother with. LOL

Just Jeff
2008-01-05, 10:20
Good pics, Amigi. Re: the grasshopper, last time I was in AFG I saw one that was easily 6" long. He was sunning himself on a wall...when I walked up, he didn't get scared. He raised up and started moving around like he was trying to scare me off! Crazy.

What part of the FT was that?

sailingsoul
2008-01-05, 18:12
Cool pic's, very cool. Thanks. SS

Amigi
2008-01-05, 20:33
Good pics, Amigi. Re: the grasshopper, last time I was in AFG I saw one that was easily 6" long. He was sunning himself on a wall...when I walked up, he didn't get scared. He raised up and started moving around like he was trying to scare me off! Crazy.

What part of the FT was that?

What's up, man. Long time, no hear from. That part is on SR 46 near Sanford. It goes from SR 46 to SR 44 heading north.

Take-a-knee
2008-01-05, 21:53
Cool pics Amigi, I look forward to getting on the FL Trail one day. There is some excellent paddling down your way also.

Amigi
2008-01-06, 08:38
Cool pics Amigi, I look forward to getting on the FL Trail one day. There is some excellent paddling down your way also.

Canoeing is something I've done in Boy Scouts and on day trips. It is something I am going to start looking into the worse my knees and hips get as I get older.

And yes, there is great canoeing here. When you have water on three sides of the state, there are more rivers than I can think of. Unfortunately, we have a redneck sport here called airboating. If they can fit an airboat down it, you'll see one. And those drunk aholes just love to wash you.

Amigi
2008-01-06, 08:52
Damn, never showed ya'll the other pygmy shot. He's a foot from the camera, sleeping, and could care less about me. This is the only venomous snake I will handle in the wild.

A nice canoe shot for TAK. Myself and Beth at Blackwater. Yes, the name of the river is Blackwater.

Long stretches of the FT look like this, the grass carpet.

pure_mahem
2008-01-06, 12:04
You could be a stunt double for Les Stroud!

Rosaleen
2008-01-06, 13:54
Wow!

Are you considering joining in for the FTA 7/70 hike next month? From the pics, I'm thinking this redhead might want to consider bringing her umbrella for some shade while hiking...

Best!

Rosaleen

Amigi
2008-01-06, 14:12
No, unfortunately I have to work until ... the end of my life it seems.

It's perfect hiking weather right now, but if your skin is not used to the Florida sun, well, I've seen Canadiens in January in the hospital with extreme sunburn so wear the SPF 40 and get a wide brimmed hat.

Amigi
2008-01-06, 14:19
You could be a stunt double for Les Stroud!

Your not the first to say that, believe it or not.
Some of you here know I volunteer during wildfire season every year. I was teaching some firemen from the more urban areas some basic survival stuff last year, and in the middle of me explaining why fire isnt a risk to wildlife but that it will concentrate dangerous species into smaller areas than normal during a large fire, this fireman from Daytona says something like, "I feel like I'm with the Survivorman." Then his buddy says, "Damn, you even look like that guy!"

I dont think so, but hey, it could be worse... At least I dont look like a Mythbuster!:ahhhhh:

sailingsoul
2008-01-06, 15:53
Amigi, When I was younger I'd been told many times I look like Howie Mandel or Tom Hanks. Even later Steven Segal (Say what????). My response is always the same. No I don't, they look like ME! That said, Les Stroud does look like you, only on his best days. SS :captain:

Geo.
2008-01-06, 16:47
Good pic's Amigi - thanks for posting.
Interesting spot, looks like you could get a couple of meals out of that grasshopper - and an alligator could get a meal out of you on the Blackwater! ;)
George.

Rosaleen
2008-01-06, 18:57
I'm definitely not accustomed to the Florida sun. I have sunburned in 20 minutes around Noontime in MA sunshine.

I may definitely want an umbrella along with SPF 30 or higher.

Thanks!

Rosaleen

pure_mahem
2008-01-06, 21:37
If you tan at all a good solution would to go to a tanning salon for 2 months or so before you go. But if your like my wife, fair complectioned red head, it simply doesn't matter unless you where long sleeves and a wide brimmed sun hat. Most of the people I know who go on vacations and cruises in the sunshine areas do this and seem to have good luck with doing it. But, they also aren't redheads!

Rosaleen
2008-01-07, 08:00
Born a redhead, will probably die a redhead. I have the Irish stubborness to go with the hair.

Living in the north, wearing long sleeves, etc., while in hoe, humid, FL will probably be torture and maybe lead to a dangerous level of dehydration, depending on how easily I can get water and electrolytes.

That is where an umbrella comes in handy. Cooler, but heavier, perhaps. I will have a good, breathable, l.s. shirt, and probably a brimmed hat. I find I sweat a lot more with these. Balance, balance, balance!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Rosaleen

JAK
2008-01-07, 09:02
Thanks for the pics. Really nice hiking weather I'll bet.

dropkick
2008-01-08, 01:43
Born a redhead, will probably die a redhead. I have the Irish stubborness to go with the hair.

Living in the north, wearing long sleeves, etc., while in hoe, humid, FL will probably be torture and maybe lead to a dangerous level of dehydration, depending on how easily I can get water and electrolytes.

That is where an umbrella comes in handy. Cooler, but heavier, perhaps. I will have a good, breathable, l.s. shirt, and probably a brimmed hat. I find I sweat a lot more with these. Balance, balance, balance!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Rosaleen

Rosaleen,

My recommendations come from being a northerner myself, a partial redhead (my mustache, parts of my beard), having a Scottish complexion, and my experiences working outside down south.

Carry a cotton bandanna for your neck. You'll need protection from the sun back there (often forgotten untill too late) and if it's really hot out wetting it down can lower your body temperature tremendously, making you much more comfortable (and possibly avoiding overheating).

Get a loose weave straw hat. The holes in the hat will let the heat generated by your head out while still providing shade.

-If you get really hot try wetting the hat also.

Rosaleen
2008-01-08, 07:39
dropkick-

Thanks for the suggestions, all of are very good ones. I sure hope the hike isn't THAT hot in February, though, that I need to be dumping water on my hat or head. Sounds like a Grand Canyon trip I was lucky to enjoy, several years back.

Rosaleen

Gray Blazer
2008-01-11, 08:42
Hey Amigi, Sorry I haven't been in contact. I'm doing a 13 mile section of FT near Palatka on MLK, Jr day. Can you get off and join us?

Gray Blazer
2008-01-11, 08:55
Here's some more from North Central Florida Trail

Gray Blazer
2008-01-11, 08:57
Captions for above pics
1. Iron Bridge Shelter
2. Bear Scratching Post
3. FT Sunset
4. Gator
5. Wildflowers on the AT

Lone Wolf
2008-01-11, 09:11
Hey Amigi, Sorry I haven't been in contact. I'm doing a 13 mile section of FT near Palatka on MLK, Jr day. Can you get off and join us?

Wee Willie lives in that section somewhere. I think he has a blue-blaze to his place .3 off the trail. Say hello if you see him

Gray Blazer
2008-01-11, 09:48
Wee Willie lives in that section somewhere. I think he has a blue-blaze to his place .3 off the trail. Say hello if you see him

I'm talkin' bout the section between SR 100 and the Trailhead in Etoniah State Park. I don't know wee willie (that's funny because my last name is Willey as in Mt Willey, NH). I'll look out for him. Did you guys pick up your pic from Larry?

Gray Blazer
2008-01-11, 10:02
Captions for above pics
1. Iron Bridge Shelter
2. Bear Scratching Post
3. FT Sunset
4. Gator
5. Wildflowers on the AT
#5 should read wildflowers on the FT.....not AT

Smile
2008-01-12, 03:34
nice photos,and cool avatar :)

Amigi
2008-01-12, 08:36
nice photos,and cool avatar :)

Thanks. I change my cat avatars every now an again.

GB, nice to here from you. If you still have my cell, call me. If not, PM me here with yours and we'll talk. I'd love to get up there and do that section. 13 miles up that way is nothing.

Tipi Walter
2008-01-12, 10:15
Great fotogs, but how can you stand it without snow????

Amigi
2008-01-12, 14:03
Gotta love the attitude of the WBers. When is Rick's site gonna be back up?

I hate snow, always have. It's 72F outside, sunny with a light breeze on Jan 12. Cant beat that.

Gray Blazer
2008-01-15, 15:13
Thanks. I change my cat avatars every now an again.

GB, nice to here from you. If you still have my cell, call me. If not, PM me here with yours and we'll talk. I'd love to get up there and do that section. 13 miles up that way is nothing.

I'm having a hard time PMing you and I have to leave the computer now. If you are interested in doing those 13 miles on Monday, the 21st, let me know. I'll be starting at Rice Creek and ending up at Etoniah Creek parking lot about 3 miles past Iron Bridge Shelter. Peace and love. JJ

Gray Blazer
2008-01-16, 12:47
Yeah, those FL shelters are nice now. I'd be a little concerned about scorpions. My dog did not like the Iron Bridge Shelter at all. She was very skittish there. I wonder if Bigfoot comes in and hangs out when there's nobody there?

yuppie_redneck
2008-01-16, 15:17
Rosaleen,

My recommendations come from being a northerner myself, a partial redhead (my mustache, parts of my beard), having a Scottish complexion, and my experiences working outside down south.

Carry a cotton bandanna for your neck. You'll need protection from the sun back there (often forgotten untill too late) and if it's really hot out wetting it down can lower your body temperature tremendously, making you much more comfortable (and possibly avoiding overheating).

Get a loose weave straw hat. The holes in the hat will let the heat generated by your head out while still providing shade.

-If you get really hot try wetting the hat also.

Try using a "legionairre" hat - these hats have a wide brim, and a long 'tail' that extends out past your neck - I like my synthetic fiber one because it is spf 100 or so, completely covers myears head and neck, sheds water well, is VERY light, and the part that is shading my neck isn't touching me so that air can get around and keep me cool. The beat the boonie style hats like the seattle sombrero for neck coverage - but you have to make sure the one you get covers your ears well. The ones that have just a back flap do not - rather look for ones that have the flap sewn in the entire back half of the hat.

If your hat's tail falls down on your back, try spraying it with waterproofing or, even better, scotchguard (used to protect fabrics from stains - and waterproofs) Both will help stiffen the cloth a bit.

I found a bunch to pick from just now by searching google for a "legionairre hat".

Amigi
2008-01-16, 18:16
Scorpions have always been an issue with open shelters here. Scorpions, canebrakes, other arachnids like the ol' Nana spider. Definitely not places to show up at after dark...

Gray Blazer
2008-01-23, 15:13
It's always different on the FT. I did a little hiking in the Booger Woods near Bardin the other day. I thought I had found the skunkape by the terrible smell, but it turns out they were fertilizing the pulpwood pines.

Gray Blazer
2008-01-24, 11:41
A coupla more FT Pics:

1. Wee people's shelter-Hunt camp in Booger Woods
2. Artist's depiction of bigfoot (aka Bardin Booger) I saw the guys footprints last July.
3. Railroad trestle over Rice Creek-Booger Woods

Amigi
2008-01-24, 18:17
Cool pics, dude. I definitely cant go hiking on a Monday, but if you line suthin up for a Sat or Sun in the Ocala area, I'm game.

Gray Blazer
2008-01-25, 08:42
Cool pics, dude. I definitely cant go hiking on a Monday, but if you line suthin up for a Sat or Sun in the Ocala area, I'm game.

Is Palatka too far? Maybe we could do an overnighter.