PDA

View Full Version : Bandanas

pure_mahem
2007-11-14, 22:15
I've noticed when I was looking to replace my bandana/potholder that there are some others called wild rags that are often made of silk. Is there any value in carring silk versus the cotton? Would they both be capable of doing the same jobs? Is one more suited to do different jobs vs. the other? Anyone know?:beer:

Mutinousdoug
2007-11-14, 23:27
Silk is a pretty cool material but a high temperature fabric it is not. Silk doesn't absorb moisture like cotton and dries more quickly, and I think it is lighter to begin with but it won't tolerate scorching as well as cotton.

dropkick
2007-11-15, 00:38
Silk also isn't going to work great as a potholder.
To slick to keep a good grip, and while I haven't tried it, I believe it would make a bad insulator.

-Plus you'd want to make sure you didn't have a nylon blend. Having it melt onto your pot and hand wouldn't be fun.

SGT Rock
2007-11-15, 08:53
Tried it too. I went back to cotton.

CoyoteWhips
2007-11-15, 08:58
I will sometimes tie a bandanna over my face in particularly cold weather. I would imagine silk might reduce the inevitable moisture buildup, freezing aspect.

JAK
2007-11-15, 10:58
I use cotton flannel and wool for such things. Cotton is easier to sanitize when you need to. Wool is better in extreme cold as a scarf. I have not tried silk. May not be as absorbtive, but might have other merits to make it a good lightweight compromise.

dropkick
2007-11-16, 02:54
One of the major uses of a bandanna for me is heat reduction. I wet it down and drape it over my neck. Using it like this pulls a lot of heat out of my body.
I can't see a silk scarf acting as anything other than a sun block, which while helpful isn't as useful.

While I prefer using my ragged old scottish wool scarf around my neck in the winter, I have tied my hat to my head with a bandanna on a few cold windy occasions.
- Protects the ears too.
- I usually end up doing this after the weather turns and I've stupidly worn a cowboy hat or baseball cap instead of a winter hat.