PDA

View Full Version : ooww! redux

dropkick
2007-11-18, 00:14
It was raining today and I was walking down to get the mail.
I stepped in a patch of wet clay and did the splits.
Laid on my belly for a while waiting for the pain to go away.

My dog ran in panicked circles around me not knowing what to do.
My neighbor was coming home and saw me lying in the road so stopped to help.
With help I stood up.

The back my left thigh (glutes) and knee joint are causing me problems.
As long as I keep them still it's ok.
But if I try to bend my knee, bend over at the waist, stand up, or overall just move my leg, I'm receiving some pretty good pain.

I'm hoping I just twisted the knee and wrenched the muscle. That way I'll be better and can get some work done tomorrow.

Seems to me that lately I've been spending a lot of my time laid up.
This stinks.

Take-a-knee
2007-11-18, 00:31
Dropkick, I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune. First, you need to keep ice on the tender areas about10-15 min every hour or as often as you can. Stay off of your feet tommorrow. Unless you have some medical reason not too, start taking advil/ibuprofen, 2 each 200mg every 4-6 hours, do this for at least a week, this with help prevent swelling as well as easing the pain. Your Gluteal muscles originate on the back of your pelvis and insert(attatch) to the back side of your femur, it sounds like you strained the insertion.

There is a band of muscle/connective tissue down the lateral (outside) or your thigh called the illotibial band, so called because it runs from you illium(pelvis) down the side of your leg past the knee to your tibia, when you overstretch this it usually causes pain at the side of the knee or just below.

Do the ice (RICE, rest, ice, compression, elevation) until monday at least.

Amigi
2007-11-18, 09:06
TAK nailed it. RICE the glute and side of thigh. You should be fine in a day or so. But rest it a week for good measure. No more gymnastics til Dec.

Iceman
2007-11-18, 09:35
Would alcohol help his recovery? As soon as I read of his accident, it helped me...

Great advice folks, take care DK.

oops56
2007-11-18, 10:22
How do you use it alcohol rub or burn it in a stove??

Iceman
2007-11-18, 11:45
Alcohol in this case is taken as "internal medicine".

KLeth
2007-11-19, 03:16
Sorry to hear that Dropkick.
After RICE, heat will help you recover.
Wool underwear, wool blankets, hot water, hot water bottle, camphore ect. The faster the injury recovers the less the rest of your body will suffer.
Learned a trick from an army doctor, cover area of injury to recover in plastic and tape it shut, then apply clothes.

If you have to sit still for long, then watch out for blothcloths, Magnyl will help some against this.

Hope you recover soon.

Geo.
2007-11-19, 17:53
It was raining today and I was walking down to get the mail.
I stepped in a patch of wet clay and did the splits.
Laid on my belly for a while waiting for the pain to go away.

My dog ran in panicked circles around me not knowing what to do.
My neighbor was coming home and saw me lying in the road so stopped to help.
With help I stood up.

Look on the good side - at least your pants didn't split, or the neighbour might have kept on going, the dog might've taken a sample bite, and you could have got arrested! :bootyshak

Sorry Dropkick, the 'splits' bit got me going. Seriously, sounds painful. Best wishes for a fast, recovery.
Geo.