PDA

View Full Version : TVP question

dropkick
2007-11-27, 08:06
I've been thinking about making my own TVP.

Can I just cook soybeans, mash them and dry them?
Or do I need to make tofu and then dry it?
Or do I have to do something entirely different?

sailingsoul
2007-11-27, 11:42
Never made TVP. Don't ever remember eating TVP. Still waiting to see if those that do survive. I've made mayonnaise once. Take oil, an egg and whip the hell out of it. SS :captain:

oldgrunt
2007-11-28, 03:11
What is TVP and why would i want to eat it, is it like a MRE
ummmmmmmmmmm

dropkick
2007-11-28, 07:11
Textured Vegetable Protein

Basically it's a protein that you can add to your food in place of meat.
Inexpensive.
Made from soy beans.
Stores easily for long periods of time with no refrigeration or special packaging.
Takes on the flavor of whatever you add it to.
Though you can get it already flavored - usually beef or chicken flavored.

I buy it at the health food store out of the bulk bins.
But the store is over 30 miles away from my house and I don't make it there often.
And I'd just like to know if I can make it.

Take-a-knee
2007-11-28, 07:42
I don't know how to make TVP but I've been told it is good to add it to ground venison (deer). It helps make a proper hamburger patty that'll hold together on the grill without adding beef fat.

sailingsoul
2007-11-28, 11:23
Found this through Google Dropkick. Pretty much there on top. http://www.soybean.org/faq/TVP1.html Soy Beans! Looks like you might be onto something for weight and cost reduction for food on the trail / home. I for one will read up on this. Thanks for the question Cheers. SS:captain:

atraildreamer
2007-11-28, 15:57
I got some TVP at the health food store. Kind of looks like sawdust. I made Sloppy Joe's with it using a can of Hunt's Manwich sauce. Couldn't tell the difference from beef.

oldgrunt
2007-11-28, 22:22
Textured Vegetable Protein grunnnnnnnnnnt
sound to west coast to me,
"where,s the beef"

pure_mahem
2007-11-29, 17:50
Is TVP like crisco. Or would you have to add bread crumbs to give it the texture. Either way I don't think I'm adding it to anything I'm going to eat. Sounds more like a way to waterproof something. LOL!