PDA

View Full Version : spam on HF

slowhike
2007-11-29, 21:12
sarge, dixie critter, or other mods... got a question for you.
we have a spammer on hammockforums (dixie critter said yall had recently gotten the same spam message).
i banned her (jeannette) a few minutes ago. she no longer shows on the members list but i still see her as on line.
when i click on her name & go to her profile, it shows her as "creating private message" which is how she has been passing around her spam link.

BTW... i took a chance the other day & clicked on a link to check it out (i think it was probably that one) & soon had pop up problems w/ my computer.
fortuneatly i was able to ID the new program & remove it from my computer.

any ideas why i'm still seeing her on HF? jeff or attrol aren't on line there right now. thanks. ...slowhike

SGT Rock
2007-11-30, 00:13
sarge, dixie critter, or other mods... got a question for you.
we have a spammer on hammockforums (dixie critter said yall had recently gotten the same spam message).
i banned her (jeannette) a few minutes ago. she no longer shows on the members list but i still see her as on line.
when i click on her name & go to her profile, it shows her as "creating private message" which is how she has been passing around her spam link.

BTW... i took a chance the other day & clicked on a link to check it out (i think it was probably that one) & soon had pop up problems w/ my computer.
fortuneatly i was able to ID the new program & remove it from my computer.

any ideas why i'm still seeing her on HF? jeff or attrol aren't on line there right now. thanks. ...slowhike
I'm not sure what you can do without admin privileges. As admin I have had to go in and remove the user permission to send PMs from this sort of user.

Hog On Ice
2007-11-30, 09:13
does vBulletin distinguish between PMs that are replies to other PMs as vs PMs that are not replies like the spammer ones?

if so would it be possible to set up limits such that a user can reply to any PM the user gets but can only originate 1 or 2 non-reply PMs a day

Hiker99
2007-12-05, 23:35
They got a discussion on all this stuff on the Vbulletin support forum, a lot off the same people have been using the PM system to spam on 100's of Vbulletin forums.