PDA

View Full Version : Hunting the way Iceman should do it.

jimtanker
2007-12-13, 08:54
Here's a nice video for you of a kid getting his first deer the right way.

Youtube Atlatl hunt (http://youtube.com/watch?v=uaEWhGHfCJA)

CoyoteWhips
2007-12-13, 10:40
Free-range meat! The tribe feasts tonight!

As a mostly vegan, I see that as way, way healthier than slaughterhouse fare. If people had to go out and spear their meat, we'd be eating a lot more fruit.

pure_mahem
2007-12-13, 11:21
I bet if people had to hunt that way it would be as about as succesful as bowhunting, looked interesting. Me I'll stick to the speer that comes out of my compound bow and the sw460 for the things with teefer and claws.

I contibute to deer heard management harvest every year and do my part. I would rather hunt for my food than rely on a slaughter house to provide it for me. But I am just as happy shooting at a paper target as I am my prey. Infact I enjoy target shooting more so. I never take the life of an animal unneccessarily so, only take what you need. I realize that is disputable but I'm a Hunter Gatherer! Not just a Gatherer.

sailingsoul
2007-12-14, 22:06
That was real sneaky. Sending the midget out in front. The deer must have thought the kid had some candy, letting him get that close. Good shot! SS

Iceman
2007-12-16, 00:09
Hey Jimtanker! Thanks for the honorable mention, didn't see this until now, been out hunting.....

Impressive toss by the youngster. Sort of sad, harpooning that deer you have been handfeeding in your back yard though... I have never seen any deer out here that you could literaly walk up to, except at the animal park. Maybe I should hunt there?

Didn't we all have a knock down drag out fight over Atlatlatlatlatls....just recently....? Looks like they work fine up close. Wonder how far that deer went after getting stuck?

Anyway, everyone here wish JT a Merry Christmas and thanks for your service, mopping up that mess over there. Wish you were in the states enjoying a brewski with friends, rather than in that sheethole. Take care.

sailingsoul
2007-12-16, 10:21
Well put Iceman. I was very surprised they could get that close to a wild deer. You made my point clearer. While trying to make my point with humor, it was less clear. To pick up on your second point, well put again. Season Greetings to Jim and all servicemen. You all have my Best wishes and gratitude. Be safe. SS :captain:

jimtanker
2007-12-16, 16:08
Actually I'm here in the states right now. Had to come home and move all of my stuff out of my house and over to Blackbishop's place. What a great dude!

Got my bank account mostly straight. Now I have to go back over there on the 18th of Dec. So no Xmas for me. Was nice to see the kids again but its back to the stan.

GGS
2007-12-17, 00:31
Impressive toss by the youngster. Sort of sad, harpooning that deer you have been handfeeding in your back yard though... I have never seen any deer out here that you could literaly walk up to, except at the animal park. Maybe I should hunt there?

Didn't we all have a knock down drag out fight over Atlatlatlatlatls....just recently....? Looks like they work fine up close. Wonder how far that deer went after getting stuck?

Hehe, my thoughts exactly! All the years I hunted with a gun I never had one in my sights let alone something that stayed put that close that long while the "tribe" filmed me...

If you follow the video closely the dude narrating the video refers to a "second lung shot". Also when they are examining the dressed animal there are two sets of puncture wounds shown through the body cavity. My guess is Junior's shot was taken at an already wounded animal.

Now whoever took the FIRST shot - if it was in fact first hit with an atlatl - has my deep respect. Or as you said it was a half tame baited deer.

My guess is a deer struck with an atlatl or spear would probably get as far as a deer struck with an arrow. Does the same damage - cuts major arteries and the animal bleeds to death, time dependent on where they were hit.

JAK
2007-12-19, 13:33
The deer in our neighbourhood have become very accustomized to humans. Even the bucks, though not so much. I wouldn't say tame. They are not at all agressive either. Just accustomized. Doesn't seem to take them many generations to adapt, one way or the other. This winter might take its toll though. Pretty early winter so far.

yuppie_redneck
2008-01-14, 01:01
I was in full camo getting a steak biscuit at McD's after a long morning doing scouting for potential camping sites for the scouts... The camo was so I could have the opportunity to observe more wildlife when I took my breaks, as well as to help me avoid some of the more noisy thruhikers invading MY woods. ;)

(Sometimes that bear you hear grunt is just another redneck playing with ya'll)

Anyway, this HUGE (I mean really really fat -= like how did she fit through the door fat) woman walks up to me, pokes me in the chest, and tells me how immoral hunting is. (all the while forcing another sausage biscuit into her gaping maw)

Don't get me wrong, I do hunt. But this woman presented to me the BEST of those who are against game management.

A friend of mine (an avid hunter) was recently strapped into the dentist's chair for a lengthy proceedure. (I rekon his chaw was hurtin his gums)

The dentist then took advantage of the silent, captive audience to espouse how unsportsmanlike hunting deer with a firearm or even a bow is.

On his next deer, I had John pose for a picture with a big ole bowie. The note on the back read: "Doc you were right - this was a lot more fair (and fun). But the deer sure took a long time to die - I just had to keep stabbing it, and plum ruined the hide."

Yes, there are bad hunters out there. I just think there are more bad drivers.

(In case you are unaware of my meaning, search for statistics for automotive deer fatalities, you will see that not only do nearly as many deer die due to drivers as by hunters - but that far more people die due to deer than hunters as well.)

In addition, more hunters FUND national parks than VEGANS. (Every hunter who buys a license funds his park system in some way.)

ALL THAT SAID, I MUST SAY THIS:
They are illegal, a poor hunting practice, and dangerous to humans - but it is a common poacher technique to set a spear trap for deer. I learned this from a friend of mine at DNR who nearly got gored on one. (I'm guessing he was somewhere on the Flint River (Cahulawassee River) listening to banjo music when he heard the words : PADDLE FASTER!

MacEntyre
2008-01-16, 10:08
From the video:
The kid stuck the deer first (after getting inexplicably close). The deer ran 15 yards, and the other adult stuck the deer again.

If I had gotten that close during daylight this season, I would have stuck one with a wooden arrow from my longbow. :biggrin:

jrwiesz
2008-01-17, 04:41
From the video:
The kid stuck the deer first (after getting inexplicably close). The deer ran 15 yards, and the other adult stuck the deer again.

If I had gotten that close during daylight this season, I would have stuck one with a wooden arrow from my longbow. :biggrin:

All the hunting I had done, I've gotten mighty close to deer. But, I'm thinking, that this critter had to have been already injured?
In the places I've hunted, no deer would have allowed someone to stalk that close without have taken off at light speed.
Just my guess. And not trying to degrade this youngsters feat.
We need more youth hunters!:)

GGS
2008-01-17, 10:49
From the video:

I missed that line in the video. Well so much for my theory. That brings us back to Iceman's, that the deer must have been unusually tame (pet or hand fed deer) or JRWeisz's that the deer was already injured. I've certainly never had one stay put when I'm that close to it...

MacEntyre
2008-01-17, 15:37
I've certainly never had one stay put when I'm that close to it...
Nobody has... there's more to the story.

Did you notice how the opening frames did not include the deer, until the kid threw his spear? Then, it showed the deer for just an instant, before he exited stage left.

Was the poor critter tethered? ...injured? ...trapped? ...drugged?

jrwiesz
2008-01-17, 16:42
Nobody has... there's more to the story.

Did you notice how the opening frames did not include the deer, until the kid threw his spear? Then, it showed the deer for just an instant, before he exited stage left.

Was the poor critter tethered? ...injured? ...trapped? ...drugged?

That's what I'm thinking. Any or all of the above.

As I said, we need more youth hunters. But, not being brought up to be violators!