PDA

View Full Version : Granite Gear White Lightnin Dye Job

Mentortwin
2007-12-19, 13:19
I just purchased a Grainite Gear White Lightnin from REI. The color is Blueberry, it is constructed of ultralight 30-D Sil Cordura Ripstop fabric.

Any ideas on if it can be given a dye job. The price was right but I would like a more stealth friendly color.

Thanks, MT

SGT Rock
2007-12-28, 13:34
I just purchased a Grainite Gear White Lightnin from REI. The color is Blueberry, it is constructed of ultralight 30-D Sil Cordura Ripstop fabric.

Any ideas on if it can be given a dye job. The price was right but I would like a more stealth friendly color.

Thanks, MT
Maybe some light bleach for a tiedie job?

sailingsoul
2007-12-28, 14:17
Also.....They make fabric paints. Try Arts & Crafts supplies. Use a diluted bleach mixture, so you don't damage the fabric. Start very weak ,increasing until effective. If you find fabric paint, you might have to bleach most of it, so the orange, grays and greens take. If you want camo. On top of the blue might be too dark. SS :captain:

dropkick
2007-12-29, 02:35
I wouldn't recommend this on your tarp, but many years ago I spray painted a bright orange nylon tent (I bought it new for $12 or $14).
I used the cheapest spray paint I could find.
I first painted it white and then went over it making an odd pattern and covering any missed orange with a mix of brown, black, and green paints.
It created a tent that was spectacularly ugly (I considered this a plus).

The paint soaked in and I never had a problem with the paint peeling. It also never hardened making the tent any less limber. But It added some weight to the tent and it totally sealed the fabric so it couldn't breath (this makes for an uncomfortable tent).

However I still use it as my truck tent.
- Occasionally I like to go into the woods for a night or two without going home to pack. So I carry a set of camping gear with me in my vehicles all the time. - I call the tent in my truck "the truck tent" the one in my car "the car tent".
Though I now prefer to use a hammock instead of a tent, I can set up the tent in total darkness, a skill I haven't yet developed with the hammock so I still carry them.

Now that I've shared all this useless info with you I recommend that you live with the color for a short while before doing anything to it. You might come to like it or at least find that it doesn't stand out as much as you fear.

The tarp is probably treated with a water repellent and you may have to do something to remove this before any type of dye will stick.

I would also recommend against using any bleaches on it as you might damage the water repellent or the fabric itself. - Bleach can burn holes in fabric.

If you still want to make it more stealthy I would buy a can of flat black spray paint, and holding it at least 12 inches from the fabric paint a few curving shadows on it to break up the outline (no straight lines). Don't cover any area completely so you don't ruin the tarps breathability - only make shadows every few feet.

You'll be surprised how much of a difference this can make in it's ability to blend in to the background.

sailingsoul
2007-12-29, 14:13
Fabric paints are a different animal than can spray paints. However, Dropkick may be on to something using that and a misting technique. You just might have some around to test on news paper or cardboard. All good points made in your post DK. SS :captain:

Mentortwin
2008-01-06, 16:43
Thanks for the input dropkick & sailingsoul. I think I'll take your advice for awhile DK and leave it as is and see if it blends better than I think. I'm pretty knew to backpacking, most of my woods and trail time is hunting and I go to lengths trying to blend in with my surroundings.

Not to sure about the tiedie Sgt. Rock - Might bring backto many memories.

Thanks - MT

Iceman
2008-01-06, 20:38
Mentortwin, I feel for ya. I have an old REI tent in skyblue/yellow, real nice. Fortunately, I have many a great memory in the tent, so I put up with the unsightlyness of it. Besides, if you have it long enough, it may come back into style again....you know, like my sideburns or corduroy pants I wear.