PDA

View Full Version : Topo software

Jason O
2007-12-22, 16:37
I'm looking at Delorme topo 7.0 and National Geographic. Anyone us either one of these? What are your thoughts on them?

Iceman
2007-12-22, 23:57
I have National Geographic and love it. Although, delorme looks pretty cool these days too. Couple the delorme with a new gps....put yourself on your own custom maps real time, sounds pretty cool....

Take-a-knee
2007-12-24, 00:18
My National Geographic software for the state of Ga worked great right up until it crashed. I called the help line and finally got a live body and, several calls later he finally admitted I'd been sent some bogus discs and said he'd send new stuff. I finally recieved copies on blank discs...about half of them work. I haven't had time to call and complain.

Iceman
2007-12-24, 00:59
Thats scary, would make me think twice about getting it for sure. Mine has had few problems.....sorry to hear about your crappy experience.

Jason O
2007-12-24, 10:08
I'm kinda leaning toward the Delorme 7.0 because I can get the eastern U.S. for fifty bucks compaired to 100 bucks for Nat. Geo. two or three states.

Hey Ice,do you have to have a certain GPS to down load the maps too? Or can I use my garmin ledgend? Thanks for all the info.

Iceman
2007-12-24, 10:23
You better ask someone else. My GPS is really old (4 year old Etrex....) I used to be up on the newest, actually bought the first commercially available to the public when first released years ago. But, anymore, I am way behind the times.

Thudley
2007-12-24, 12:45
I have a Garmin handheld with color mapping, but it only accepts MapSource inputs (also a Garmin product). Ditto for Magellan. Check out the specs for your handheld GPS online at the manufacturer's website to see what your unit will accept.

I don't know if any of the handhelds accept downloads from USA Topo, although the program is very good. I use Topo and Delorme Streets on my laptop fed by a GPS plugin receiver. Works great on the road, but I wouldn't want to pack it into the woods.

Happy Holidays, Gang! :hello:

Take-a-knee
2007-12-24, 23:37
Thats scary, would make me think twice about getting it for sure. Mine has had few problems.....sorry to hear about your crappy experience.

I believe if I called them and pitched a fit they'd send me new software, I just haven't had time to do so. The guy really tried to help me sort out the problem, but when he admitted that they knew my issue was faulty, he should have sent brand new software, not some cobbled together copies.

Iceman
2007-12-25, 14:17
No kidding.