PDA

View Full Version : Vegetable Broth Mix

dropkick
2007-12-23, 02:55
I was in my local grocery store today.
It has a fairly new area devoted to bulk foods, spices, and spice mixes.

I was getting some soy bacon bits - tried them a while back and really like them as a topping on potatoes, salads, etc. They aren't so good for cooking though - lose their flavor in a soup or stew.

Anyway, while getting my fake bacon bits I saw they had 2 vegetarian soup/stock bases. A "chicken" flavor and a reduced sodium vegetable broth.

I was thinking maybe they might work well as emergency foods or as bases for other meals.

After looking at the ingredients of the chicken flavored base I decided to pass on it, as the second ingredient was sea salt.

This wasn't a surprise as almost all chicken flavored bases are heavy with salt. Normally it wouldn't bother me, but I'm trying to cut down my salt intake.

The vegetable broth mix had no salt at all, so I bought a few ounces of it (@ .40 oz) to try out.

I brought it home and decided to give it a quick try out. I mixed 2 rounded tablespoons with a cup of hot water I got from the tap. This gave me a fairly thick broth.

It was delicious!

It'll make a great base for a lot of meals too.

Cheap and good tasting goes a long way in my book.

While I'm in no way turning vegetarian, I've been surprised at how good some of these vegetarian/organic food stuffs are turning out to be.

The only reason I used to go to the health food stores was to buy the cheap bulk spices and check out the earth mommas (:evil:can't help it - a peasant skirt and no make-up punches my buttons for some reason). Now I'm also going to stores to shop for food.

After I get rid of relatives and Christmas obligations I'm going to stock up on this mix. I'll see if I can get the makers' name and the ingredients to post here then.

dropkick
2007-12-23, 03:07
Just did a quick search for "vegetable broth base" came up with this recipe at www.astray.com.

Haven't tried it yet but except for the salt it it looks pretty close to what I can remember of the ingredients.

vegetable broth mix

Yield 1 Servings

1 tablespoon Onion powder
1 tablespoon Celery salt
1 tablespoon Dried parsley
1 teaspoon Garlic powder
1 teaspoon Salt
teaspoon Ground savory
teaspoon Dried marjoram
teaspoon Dried thyme
teaspoon Pepper
teaspoon Turmeric
teaspoon Ground sage

vegetable broth mix bulk

Yield 1 cup

4 tablespoon Onion powder
4 tablespoon Celery salt
4 tablespoon Dried parsley flakes
6 teaspoon Garlic powder
6 teaspoon Salt
6 teaspoon Ground savory
2 teaspoon Dried marjoram
2 teaspoon Dried thyme
1 teaspoon Pepper
1 teaspoon Turmeric
1 teaspoon Ground sage

Iceman
2007-12-23, 13:40
The only reason I used to go to the health food stores was to buy the cheap bulk spices and check out the earth mommas (:evil:can't help it - a peasant skirt and no make-up punches my buttons for some reason).

So a dress like this and a face like that, got it..... :ahhhhh:

deadeye
2007-12-23, 22:19
I know you were excited, you old lecher, but did you happen to catch a brand name?

dropkick
2007-12-24, 01:41
Iceman,
Close...
The face was okay but that isn't a peasant skirt.
Wait, I might have a picture on my computer....
Found one

disturbing.jpg (http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-3/1165284/disturbing.jpg)

dropkick
2007-12-24, 01:48
Deadeye,
I'm going to go back to the store after Christmas and see if I can find out who they buy their bulk foodstuffs from.

sailingsoul
2007-12-24, 11:19
Whoooa, Iceman you are a wise man. I can see why you post the picture of you all bundled up. As fashion advice in the summer , ditch the mug and wear a bag. SS:captain:

deadeye
2007-12-25, 00:25
Deadeye,
I'm going to go back to the store after Christmas and see if I can find out who they buy their bulk foodstuffs from.

Hmmm.... perhaps I should have read your original post more carefully. Right now, though, my retinas are still burning from seeing Iceman in a peasant skirt:ahhhhh: ... maybe after they heal!

Iceman
2007-12-25, 14:16
You guys crack me up!
I make one ugly cross dresser!

deadeye
2007-12-26, 15:47
You guys crack me up!
I make one ugly cross dresser!

Trust us, the skirt was a BIG improvement!:aetsch:

dropkick
2007-12-30, 02:23
Haven't got to the store to discover who makes the vegetable stock yet. But thought I'd share this with you.

Last night I cut the last of the meat I could off the turkey, crushed the carcass, and then boiled it for a couple hours. After it cooled slightly I strained off the broth and picked off all the meat left on the bones.

I ended up with a bit over a quart of turkey stock and around 2 cups of meat.

I diced 2 medium potatoes, 1 carrot, and 2 stalks of celery. I put the potatoes and carrot in the stock and heated it to a rolling boil. I then turned off the stove and mixed in the meat and the celery.
- The potatoes/carrots weren't quite done but this soup was for the next day and the heat of the stock would finish cooking the vegetables without over cooking them - I added the celery last as I like it to have a bit of crunch.

I tasted it and decided the turkey stock was a little weak (hadn't boiled the carcass long enough). Usually at this point I'd be forced to use chicken base to build up flavor, but I decided to use the vegetable base.

I mixed in 2 rounded tablespoons. It made the turkey flavor really come out.
It didn't cover it, it enhanced it.

This is now one of the best turkey soups I've ever made.
And I make good soup.

Iceman
2007-12-31, 01:54
Yum, sounds good. Got to get me some of that stuff...

JAK
2007-12-31, 02:50
Don't be afraid to throw in lots of Paprika whenever you are doing anything with rice, potatoes, barley, whatever. Paprika is basically dried ground red peppers, usually the sweet varieties, but sometimes the how varieties. Most recipes might call for 1 or 2 teaspoons, but hey, unless its the hot variety why not dump it in by the tablespoon.

1 tablespoon of paprika, 6g ~ 20 kcal.
is basically the equivalent of 1/2 a sweet red pepper, 60g ~ 20 kcal.

My only caution, other than taste, would be to watch the Vitamin A.
You can overdose on Vitamin A. It would take alot of Paprika though.

JAK
2007-12-31, 02:55
I really gotta say I envy the Rock this Christmas. Eating all the Turkey and gravy and stuffing he wants thinking he's gonna be hiking it off. If he keeps up his holiday diet Dixie might need some help offloading him at the trailhead. :)

CoyoteWhips
2007-12-31, 08:47
Don't be afraid to throw in lots of Paprika whenever you are doing anything with rice, potatoes, barley, whatever. Paprika is basically dried ground red peppers...

So, that's what paprika is. I've recently become a fan, myself. You see it listed as an ingredient in lots of snack foods.

Take care not to confuse your paprika with your cayenne. Microscopic amounts of cayenne adds a nice kick to many foods. Sometimes good in lemonade, too.

rubble_double
2007-12-31, 10:46
Just did a quick search for "vegetable broth base" came up with this recipe at www.astray.com.

Haven't tried it yet but except for the salt it it looks pretty close to what I can remember of the ingredients.

vegetable broth mix

Yield 1 Servings

1 tablespoon Onion powder
1 tablespoon Celery salt
1 tablespoon Dried parsley
1 teaspoon Garlic powder
1 teaspoon Salt
teaspoon Ground savory
teaspoon Dried marjoram
teaspoon Dried thyme
teaspoon Pepper
teaspoon Turmeric
teaspoon Ground sage

vegetable broth mix bulk

Yield 1 cup

4 tablespoon Onion powder
4 tablespoon Celery salt
4 tablespoon Dried parsley flakes
6 teaspoon Garlic powder
6 teaspoon Salt
6 teaspoon Ground savory
2 teaspoon Dried marjoram
2 teaspoon Dried thyme
1 teaspoon Pepper
1 teaspoon Turmeric
1 teaspoon Ground sage

This recipe taste very good. I have tried it once in my soup as a broth base and it tasted perfect. The balance of sweet and saltiness melts in your mouth.

dropkick
2008-01-02, 02:30
Went to the store today.

The broth mix is made by Frontier and is named "Reduced Sodium Vegetable Broth Powder"

The ingredients listed are as follows:
corn syrup solids, tomato, dehydrated onion, dehydrated garlic, autolyzed yeast extract, carrot, basil, celery seed, kelp, parsley, spinach, tumeric, bay

deadeye
2008-01-02, 09:01
Thanks! Except for the autolyzed yeast and the kelp, I've got this stuff hanging around the house & can whip somehting up.

dropkick
2008-01-03, 02:18
Autolyzed yeast is MSG.
So is hydrolyzed yeast.

I know you're going to say MSG, I don't want MSG it's bad for you!
This is a myth.

And like other food and drug related myths it still has people who ignore the studies and make up "facts" about how bad it is for you.

In the 1980's during the "Chinese food panic" when the news media was inventing stories out of whole cloth about the danger of MSG, a bit over 600 people reported that they had got a headache or had asthma attacks after eating MSG. None of these accounts were ever confirmed nor were the symptoms reproducible under controlled conditions.

That is the total of the evidence damning MSG as a flavor enhancer.

If you eat any prepared food from the store it's almost impossible for you not to eat MSG. It's in almost everything and has been for years. Quite often they just don't call it MSG anymore.

It also occurs naturally in several foods and is produced by the human body.

The U.S.D.A. says it's safe, the U.N. Health Organization says it's safe, the European Health Organization says it's safe, The F.D.A. says it's safe, plus many more health organizations.

There has never been an actual health problem linked to MSG

sailingsoul
2008-01-03, 10:12
Very, very true Dropkick. I am constantly amazed how quickly people will accept "facts" given on just about anything. Especially when they're presented in a calculated way and conform to previous beliefs, especially wrong beliefs. Can any of us living today not be exposed daily, to out right male cow manure. Not from what I see. If I were to tell anyone here that there spouse was unfaithful, I would hope for your sake that I be asked not only for evidence but that you were critical of it. I had a good friend who swore that Chinese food w/MSG gave him migraines. Every time he orders Chinese food, He says, "NO MSG". They always answered "no plo'bem". (Like they can take it out just for him) One day I saw him using "Accent seasoning". I asked him if he had a headache an hour after he ate. He said no why? I had him read the label on the accent package. What did he do? He threw out the accent and still believes MSG gives him headaches, even after it didn't. Blindly going where many go, every day. SS :captain:

dropkick
2008-01-04, 00:23
Sailingsoul,
Whatever you do don't start him reading the labels on food.
Especially don't explain to him what autolyzed or hydrolyzed yeast is.
He'll starve to death.
It's in everything from soup to Doritos.