PDA

View Full Version : Just saying hello

Tumblerats
2008-01-02, 22:31
Just wanted to introduce myself. I live in Central Florida, have a cabin and 550,001 acres in Tennessee...well really I only own one, but it backs up to the Great Smoky Mtn National Park (550,000 acres). Yep, SGT Rock, it looks like we could be neighbors (when I come up there), as we are just up Chilhowee Mtn from Maryville, TN. We are in Top of the World.

I'm just returning to hiking and camping as I have been busy with life for the last few years. Now that my son is old enough, we plan on getting out more. I'm looking into hammocking and have a DIY hammock that I have tested in the backyard a couple times. I need to find or make a tarp for cover as the poncho was fine for a dry nite, but I probably would get wet on rainy nite. Want to have tarp that I could use for tarp tent if I wanted to sleep on ground again (this 50 year old back can't do that much anymore).

Well, I just wanted to say hi.

dropkick
2008-01-03, 02:39
Tumblerats,

Until you figure out what size tarp you want may I suggest using a plastic tarp with duct tape reinforcements and tie ons.
That way you can figure out what shape and size you would you like before you spend the cash.

Oh and welcome aboard.

SGT Rock
2008-01-03, 10:54
If you live up there you are about 2 miles from me straight as the crow flies - I'm down at the end of Rocky Branch

dixicritter
2008-01-03, 10:54
Welcome to the HQ Tumblerats! Glad to see another "neighbor" on board. :)

Tumblerats
2008-01-03, 17:33
If you live up there you are about 2 miles from me straight as the crow flies - I'm down at the end of Rocky Branch

Rocky Branch, wow, that is like just off the mountain if I remember...come down foothills and head towards Maryville, right? I live in Central FL, but have a vacation cabin on Top of the World. We have only had it about 15 months, so I want to learn some good hiking/camping areas. I have done some short dayhikes in GSMNP a few times. A friend said that hiking up to Gregory's Bald and spending the nite there and hiking back the next day is a good trip...especially when the flaming azaleas are in bloom. Would like to hear your thoughts.

SGT Rock
2008-01-03, 18:48
Yep come off Foothills Parkway and hang a left. Right before the big yellow antique store hang left and we are up by Becky's. An alternative is to go down Butterfly Gap road to Laws Chapel road.