PDA

View Full Version : Heading out.

SGT Rock
2008-01-03, 22:34
Well time to get on the trail. In about 10 hours I leave to drive south to Springer Mountain to start the thru-hike. If you have been checking out the journal over at www.trailjournals.com (http://www.trailjournals.com) you know I have been thinking of getting on the trail a little early. I plan to do about 50 miles this weekend (that is about 80KM for my European friends) then come on back to the house for a few days before heading up to do my retirement physical. I'll then get back on the trail again next weekend. The plan is to keep on doing this for a couple of weeks until my final mustering out on the 25th.

My wife will be minding the shop while I am walking. She will also be keeping up the journal. If things work out right I will be making a journal entry from the trail - but I am not counting on it. I have some Kentucky bourbon, a Cuban cigar, and a copy of my itinerary for this trip - all three get toasted tomorrow night in Georgia.

See you guys up the trail.

peter_pan
2008-01-03, 23:19
Hoooha!!!..... Go get em Rock.... Call if you need anything.

Pan

CoyoteWhips
2008-01-04, 09:02
I will forgo hitting you with a bottle of champaign and just say bon voyage!

sailingsoul
2008-01-04, 09:46
Happy trails Sgt. SS

JAK
2008-01-04, 09:58
Way to go on the early start.
I hope you get the very best that winter has to offer.
A shivering rock gathers no moss. :D

jimtanker
2008-01-04, 12:26
Two quotes come to mind.

The first one by my drill sergeant, SSG Blackmon, way back in July of '86 on the day of our graduation:
"I'm not going to wish you good luck! If I wish you good luck then that means that I dont think that you can do it on your own with skill and skill alone. So if anyone ever wishes you good luck then look them straight in the eye and tell them to F#$@ OFF!"
Truer words were never spoken. Therefore I will not wish you "good luck".

The other quote was by another very influential NCO in my life:
"If you're in such a big hurry, then why are you walking?"

Have a great hike Rock.

Thudley
2008-01-04, 13:34
Happy trails, Sarge. I'll be watching the logs.

pure_mahem
2008-01-04, 14:13
God's speed!

dixicritter
2008-01-04, 17:42
I dropped a very happy SGT Rock off at 11:06 am today at the parking lot on FS 42 to start his hike. Here's a link to the picture I took just before he hiked away... http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=20847&catid=member&imageuser=511

Amigi
2008-01-05, 08:03
God Bless and Godspeed. Jealously and happiness is what I feel right now. You've waiting a long time for this and you've earned it. But starting in January? You were dropped on your head one too many times... Stay warm, it's frigging in the high 20's here, and I'm in Florida!

Kea
2008-01-05, 22:46
It's a few months off, but when you start getting toward The RollerCoaster, let us know. I live in the Harpers Ferry area.

Rosaleen
2008-01-06, 13:42
Hey!

I recognize both those Rocks! Too bad SGT Rock didn't start a couple of days earlier. I was at Springer for NYE-well, nearly. Midnight struck on the way up. At least I had "First Night" on a mountain top. I would have liked to have personally wished SFT Rock a safe and happy trip. As a friend drove me to the Charlotte airport, we heard that the temps were dropping further and snow was predicted. We all know our "Fearless Leader" is smart enough to prepare for any weather, but he sure can't be physically acclimated to bitter cold after living in the South and serving in Iraq.

I wonder where he will be around Trail Days?

Rosaleen

Rosaleen

dixicritter
2008-01-06, 20:36
Just got off the phone with SGT Rock. He's stopped at a restaurant having some dinner right now before he makes camp for the night. He did 16.5 miles today and says he has a little over 12 to do tomorrow to get to his car.

He's laughing and having a great time. He told me more about the pants failure, it was his old rain pants that he's had for Years. They have finally bit the dust. I'll still let him explain exactly how he killed them because he tells it so much better. LOL.

The only other gear failure he's had was a mile in at the shelter on Springer. He pulled his "Light My Fire" spoon out of his food bag and it broke on him. All we can guess was the weather was just too cold for the plastic or something. Really odd.

Rosaleen
2008-01-07, 08:07
Glad to hear Rock is OK. I guess we all knew he would be.

Clothing failure can happen anytime/anywhere. I carry real thread, not dental floss as some, for repairs. When my hair was long, I could have used hair for thread. (Yes, it works!) My thrift store silk sleeping pants died during my christmas trip. Fortunately, I was at my parents' home and not counting on wearing them while doing laundry in some public place. I imagine Rock had his regular pants to stay modest...

Wow! on the LMF foon breaking. They seem nearly indestructible. Rock should write to the company to see if they test in cold conditions. Makes my ultra light ti spoon look better...

Rosaleen

SGT Rock
2008-01-07, 21:45
Howdy all.

Things are rolling great. I will have to say that the 16 mile day was an ass kicker. Everyone told me that was the hardest section in GA, and I had to see for myself. I don't know if it is the hardest, but it did smoke my bags like nothing else - and I was also trying to make up miles so instead of quitting like a sane individual would at about 13 miles I hiked on into the night for a steak, potato, salad, and lots of tea.

I'm at 50.1 on the BMT and should be getting back on this weekend after my part 2 VA physical. I've already got a new spoon and I'll be looking into some pants this week. I'm thinking Frogg Toggs.

SGT Rock
2008-01-07, 23:18
Journal updated.

JAK
2008-01-08, 14:23
Your trail journal is a really nice read so far Rock. Keep rollin'.

Up here they call that sort of a dream "The Old Hag" which is when you know where you are and you think you are awake with your eyes open but they really aren't and you can't get up or fully awake because it feels like this old lady is sitting on your chest, hence "The Old Hag". I've had it twice in my life and found it disturbing though somewhat interesting and later learned what it was called. Of course if I had recently spent some time in a place like Iraq it would have been more interesting. Sounds like the trail is doing you some good. Cheers.

JAK
2008-01-08, 14:34
Thought you might find this interesting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hag

I liked this bit in particular:

A hag, or "the Old Hag", was a nightmare spirit in British and Anglophone North American folklore. This variety of hag is essentially identical to the Anglo-Saxon mæra — a being with roots in ancient Germanic superstition, and closely related to the Scandinavian mara. According to folklore, the Old Hag sat on a sleeper's chest and sent nightmares to him or her. When the subject awoke, he or she would be unable to breathe or even move for a short period of time. Currently this state is called sleep paralysis, but in the old belief the subject had been "hagridden".

In Irish and Scottish mythology, the Cailleach is a hag goddess concerned with creation, harvest, the weather and sovereignty. In partnership with the goddess Brėde, she is a seasonal goddess, seen as ruling the winter months while Brėde rules the summer. In Scotland, a group of hags, known as The Cailleachan (The Storm Hags) are seen as personifications of the elemental powers of nature, especially in a destructive aspect. They are said to be particularly active in raising the windstorms of spring, during the period known as A Chailleach.

Hags as sovereignty figures abound in Irish mythology. The most common pattern is that the hag represents the barren land, who the hero of the tale must approach without fear, and come to love on her own terms. When the hero displays this courage, love, and acceptance of her hideous side, the sovereignty hag then reveals that she is also a young and beautiful goddess.

SGT Rock
2008-01-08, 15:27
That is very interesting JAK, thanks for that.

Kea
2008-01-10, 02:26
There are some folk charms to protect you against stuff like that. I'll try to remember to look a few of them up for you.

dixicritter
2008-01-13, 12:46
I dropped SGT Rock off on the trail yesterday again. He called me last night, said he did 12.9m and it was 29 degrees. He was in his hammock to try and stay warm.

He's doing another 4 day stretch ending up in Reliance, TN this time.

Amigi
2008-01-13, 16:32
Maybe I missed it, Dixie, but why did he want to start this hike in January?

dixicritter
2008-01-13, 17:59
It was either start hiking or sit around doing nothing and drive himself and everyone around him crazy. Besides that he had itchy feet to get on the trail anyway, so really no reason to wait from what I could see. :)

Amigi
2008-01-13, 18:44
He's been talking about this for the last two years, so I dont blame him. Plus, it saves your sanity :). Maybe its just my Florida blood, but dang, sleeping in a hammock when its 29F freaks me out :O.

dixicritter
2008-01-13, 19:42
Yeah well, don't tell anyone but he just ain't right in the head. ;)

Take-a-knee
2008-01-13, 22:59
He's been talking about this for the last two years, so I dont blame him. Plus, it saves your sanity :). Maybe its just my Florida blood, but dang, sleeping in a hammock when its 29F freaks me out :O.

I've made it down to the high twenties with a JRB Nest and a Feathered Friends Rock Wren Bag, without wearing a bunch of clothing either. I plan to add an Oware pad and a vest and see how low I can go this winter. I hope to be able to thru in a couple of years and I'll buy a FF Winter Wren since I plan to start early.

Amigi
2008-01-14, 08:29
And you're not right in the head either.:)

MalTheElder
2008-01-14, 12:21
. . . Maybe its just my Florida blood, but dang, sleeping in a hammock when its 29F freaks me out . . .

What? You're sleeping inside tonight?:viking:

Mal
--
"I've got a native tongue from 'way down South.
It sleeps in the cheek of my
Gulf Coastal mouth."

dixicritter
2008-01-14, 15:28
And you're not right in the head either.:)

Oh I know I'm not... That's not news. :)

SGT Rock
2008-01-15, 23:16
I'm back for a few days again. And my record so far for the hammock is about 18F.

Nightwalker
2008-01-16, 01:13

I got down to 12 with high wind a couple of weeks ago. Plenty comfy, too. :)

SGT Rock
2008-01-16, 09:36
I have to admit, the bottom of the hammock has not been the weak spot on my system, I think in that respect I've worked it out so I can take even colder temps than I have hit so far. The problem now is my top quilt may just be a little to little for the temps I'm hitting.

GGS
2008-01-16, 11:56
I have to admit, the bottom of the hammock has not been the weak spot on my system, I think in that respect I've worked it out so I can take even colder temps than I have hit so far. The problem now is my top quilt may just be a little to little for the temps I'm hitting.

SGT Rock, I'm sure you explained your sleeping system somewhere but I can't find it. Could you detail again or point me to that link?

SGT Rock
2008-01-16, 14:14
I'll discuss it here. I'm talking my cold weathr system I'm using for now...

The hammock is a homemade hammock. It is 1.9oz ripstop that attaches to the tree huggers with caribiners. The hammock weighs 12.3 ounces and the caribieners weigh 1.27 ounces each.

Over that I am using an Etowah Outfitter Survivor tarp. It's a 6'x10' rig that can be set up in some interesting ways with the hammock. It weighs 10.81 ounces. Throw in 4 MSR needle stakes at 0.32 ounces each.

Inside the hammock I have one of my double layer Oware pads at 9.72 ounces. It isn't as nice as the one I made my wife, but it is lighter.

Outside the hammock I have a JRB No-Sniveler, the original prototype with upgrade and a little overstuff. The No-Sniveler is 21.27 ounces and the hanging cords are 1.13 ounces. On the head end I have them attached the normal way, on the foot end I linked the ends together to sort of box it out.

Outside the No-Sniveler, I have a JRB Weathershield. I also use the top shield over the outside of my sleeping quilt. In cold weather what I normally do is cover up to my neck with my sleeping quilt and then cover my head with the weathershield. That Weathershield weighs 14.49 ounces. I don't think they make those anymore.

And finally, for my top quilt I am using a custom made Hungry Howie quilt that old Hungry Howie made for me a few years back. The dang thing is VERY warm. It weighs in at 18.02 ounces.

What I have been doing to make set up and tear down go easier is this, I get up and take out the pad and roll it up seperate. Then the hammock with underquilt and weathershield attached, and the Hungry Howie quilt inside all gets stuffed into the same stuff sack. I don't take it apart and put it together every day.

I've been looking at my quilt system. I have slept well in it down to about 17F-18F, but got a little cold in it one night and I think I know why. I had covered up everything, including my head, under the HH quilt and weathershield. When I woke up the next morning my top quilt had condensation in it which made it not so warm. The next night I slept without the weathershield or tarp over me since it was a clear night in the 20s. The bag mostly dried out and I was fine. What I have to watch is letting that top bag get condensation in it.

So the whole rig, hammock and all, weighs in at 91.53 ounces for shelter and sleeping system that is working into the teens.

Amigi
2008-01-16, 18:14
Nah Dixie, I was talking to TAK, but if you must admit it... :)

Scout
2008-01-17, 18:01
Rock - great to read about your hike. I have been following your website since 2004 and am amazed that that the time has flown by and you are finally out doing your hike!

ALL - General question - Doesnt it get somewhat creepy being out on your own all the time? I dont want to sound like a (meow), especially being in the Army myself, but it seems that I would get a bit nervous in the night especially after some of your dreams or experiences of dogs being nearby in the night...or if thinking about the poor woman who was killed near/on the trail...

I am generally a hiker who needs at least one other person to be out there with me so what are your thoughts on how to overcome this; distract your thoughts on this...etc?

HIKE ON!

GGS
2008-01-17, 18:57
During the day I'm fine. If I'm hiking it's with dogs which give companionship and a sense of security.

Being out on my own in the wilderness at night... I find I spook easily. Always get that prickly feeling in my neck that the bogeyman is sneaking up behind me. Then a leaf rattles nearby...

Naturally, recent news of tragedies such as a bear mauling or trail murder tend to fuel destructive thoughts. In the peace of the dark your mind starts playing "what if" games. Suddenly the wilderness becomes alive, leaf rattles and snapping twigs suggest you're surrounded by creatures, small air currents sound like whispers in the blackness, your eyes robbed of their sensory light percieve the darkness everywhere as flowing and moving. Once the adrenalin kicks in it's really hard to just relax and ignore without another human to chat to.

I find dogs in this instance can be a help and a hindrance. For the most part they do provide comfort, and security in the knowledge that there aren't too many things of significance that can sneak up without them noticing and barking defensively, and then not too many things that will press an attack when faced off by a pair of barking dogs. On the other hand, there have been many many times where I've been just about to doze off and then I hear a noise. I tell myself oh it's nothing, then suddenly one or both of the dogs sit up in the tent, bodys tense, ears forward, peering out the bug screen, craning their heads to get a better view in the darkness, lungs pulsing as they sample the air, and I'm like holy crap what the hell do they see out there. 5 minutes later they're back asleep and I'm wide awake half the night.

As I've backpacked more I've grown more comfortable in the wilderness but I still have incidents.

SGT Rock
2008-01-17, 20:32
I don't get spooked much. During the day I like to hike alone. At night I prefer to stealth where I'm less likely to have someone accidently come accross me or I go the other way and just go to a place (like near a shelter) where I know I'm going to see other people. What I don't like is someone coming near my camp at night that I cannot know about before they get there. The idea of those guys that were with the dog coming down to my camp would bother me more than the fact that they were there. When I see someone else's camp already established I try my best to avoid the AO which isn't always easy when some folks set up practically right on the trail.

But all in all, no I don't get spooked by the idea of being alone - I just do things differently when I am alone.

Amigi
2008-01-17, 21:27
I do also spook. I admit it. I have pumped myself up with my life experiences and still cant sleep. It's human nature. Ol' Rock is just that, a Rock and I believe he doesnt spook much, but man, I've had my moments...

I still do hike at night nonetheless, and have gotten stronger over the years. Usually by trying to tire myself out, or get camped early and do a quick recce of the local area to gather info on the topo, access, exfil, etc. It makes me feel better.

GGS
2008-01-17, 23:52
When I see someone else's camp already established I try my best to avoid the AO which isn't always easy when some folks set up practically right on the trail.

Is "AO" a military term? Sorry for being clueless...

I definitely agree with the good Sarge that when I'm enjoying my privacy I like to be left alone. Thankfully the vast majority of the backpacking folks I've met will respect a campsite, and while hiking will offer only a short friendly chat while passing you on the trail.

I tend to have more difficulty with the car camping type at public campgrounds, wandering over to blab, offering a beer or to give my dog a leftover piece of steak, etc. I know they're just trying to be friendly but it is irritating. I just wanna enjoy my quiet evening with my pooches by the fire and contemplate the mysteries of the universe.

SGT Rock
2008-01-18, 10:22
AO = Area of Operations. Generally it refers to someones space as well. So if you walk into my camp, office, or piece of a perimeter, you have just walked into my AO.

Scout
2008-01-18, 18:04
In the peace of the dark your mind starts playing "what if" games. Suddenly the wilderness becomes alive, leaf rattles and snapping twigs suggest you're surrounded by creatures, small air currents sound like whispers in the blackness, your eyes robbed of their sensory light percieve the darkness everywhere as flowing and moving. Once the adrenalin kicks in it's really hard to just relax and ignore without another human to chat to.
Very good description! I echo your thougths exactly - I had a dog while growing up. When my parents would leave me alone in the house at night, I would keep that dog right by my side to ward off any evil-doers...of course, he would spook and I would be left imagining who was creeping up the steps to get me and my little brother... :albertein

Scout
2008-01-18, 18:06
I tend to have more difficulty with the car camping type at public campgrounds, wandering over to blab, offering a beer or to give my dog a leftover piece of steak...
Exactly - thats why I prefer to hike with someone I know. We keep each other company; understand our limits; and can tell each other to shut the heck up if need be. :biggrin:

Nightwalker
2008-01-19, 04:29
I got down to 12 with high wind a couple of weeks ago. Plenty comfy, too. :)

Addendum: I left a warm house to do that, and went back into one the next morning. It would have been different if I were sweaty and exhausted after a long day's hike.

Just setting the record straight. :)

Amigi
2008-01-19, 10:21
Finally had time this morning to read your journal front to back.

I have very vivid dreams when hiking. Always have. I've attributed it to the O2 levels, then sensory deprivation that hiking is versus everyday life, my level of alertness, and my happiness in being out.

I had very vivid dreams ( nightmares ) every time I've come home from overseas. In your case right now ( at times similar to mine ), hiking may be a really good idea to get them out now and get used to them while youre away. Wish I'd done that once or twice. Beth and I wouldnt have some experiences behind us I wish we never had...

Combine the two circumstance, and damn, you've got an internal SenseDep Tank in your head. Thoughts must be extremely real and vivid.

A trick a psychoanalyst gave me once was to condition myself to put my hand on my cheek in an "Oh my" position when I woke from a bad vivid dream. I achieved the conditioning by thinking about it, doing it while awake ( kinda intentionally daydreaming while keeping my hand there ), and also remembering to do it when I awoke in the morning from regular sleep. When I did it, I kept a sense of peace on my mind it.

It achieves many things, such as giving you a sense of familiarity, a sense of safety, it keeps your hand in a "safe place" to avoid reactionary movements, and reminds you in the crucial first few seconds of awaking that you were only dreaming.

Dont know if you need this, but it worked for me.

Keep the entries coming, and dont slack on them.;) The reading is fantastic. Peace, bro.:beer:

d'shadow
2008-01-20, 04:13
Camped out alone in the woods last winter, and I was worried about feeling spooky when the night came. Much to my surprise, I really enjoyed being by myself and did not get frightened by anything. Slept great and really enjoyed my fire and coffee the next morning. Sometimes it feels good to be alone and just enjoy my own company.

GGS2
2008-01-20, 08:20
There have been a couple of times I have felt a little uneasy out there alone. First was on a canoe trip up by Fitzgerald on the Slave River. I made the mistake of camping at a trail head by the river. A couple of drunken native kids decided I was ripe for harassing. One of them came and trash talked about the bears around, and then they started crashing about in the woods after dark. I wasn't sure how far they intended to go, so I struck camp and drifted on the river until dawn. It was kind of a nice night, except for the black flies, which never went away.

The second time was coyotes. They were a pack of about ten, off in the valley a few miles away, and every quarter hour or so they would set up a conference call, I guess just to stay in touch. It was quite wonderful, really, but I was a bit nervous because I was under-equipped, cold and couldn't sleep, and I didn't know what would happen if they drifted my way. That wasn't really too bad, but then some animal came up to my camp and startled just a few feet away when I sat up to get a look at him. He took off before I could see him. Probably a raccoon or something. Anyway, I was just cold and miserable, and the wildlife was just too lively. Nothing much to worry about in either case. Just being alone and out where the safety net is a bit too far away makes me nervous until I get used to it.

Take-a-knee
2008-01-20, 14:26
Rock - great to read about your hike. I have been following your website since 2004 and am amazed that that the time has flown by and you are finally out doing your hike!

ALL - General question - Doesnt it get somewhat creepy being out on your own all the time? I dont want to sound like a (meow), especially being in the Army myself, but it seems that I would get a bit nervous in the night especially after some of your dreams or experiences of dogs being nearby in the night...or if thinking about the poor woman who was killed near/on the trail...

I am generally a hiker who needs at least one other person to be out there with me so what are your thoughts on how to overcome this; distract your thoughts on this...etc?

HIKE ON!

I went thru SF school at Bragg in 82 in the pre SERE days, we had a 5-6 day survival FTX, about four days of which you spend alone, accomplishing assigned tasks. It was the first time most had spent a night truly alone in their lives. We were instructed to stay in our assigned areas, and not to have contact with another student. This rule was ignored by many, a lot of guys kept a fire going all night and got little rest as a result. One young ranger set his survival hooch on fire, when he climbed into the 2.5 ton, his web gear was all burned up. We didn't see him again.

I've always enjoyed my own company.

SGT Rock
2008-01-22, 20:01
Finally had time this morning to read your journal front to back.

I have very vivid dreams when hiking. Always have. I've attributed it to the O2 levels, then sensory deprivation that hiking is versus everyday life, my level of alertness, and my happiness in being out.

I had very vivid dreams ( nightmares ) every time I've come home from overseas. In your case right now ( at times similar to mine ), hiking may be a really good idea to get them out now and get used to them while youre away. Wish I'd done that once or twice. Beth and I wouldnt have some experiences behind us I wish we never had...

Combine the two circumstance, and damn, you've got an internal SenseDep Tank in your head. Thoughts must be extremely real and vivid.

A trick a psychoanalyst gave me once was to condition myself to put my hand on my cheek in an "Oh my" position when I woke from a bad vivid dream. I achieved the conditioning by thinking about it, doing it while awake ( kinda intentionally daydreaming while keeping my hand there ), and also remembering to do it when I awoke in the morning from regular sleep. When I did it, I kept a sense of peace on my mind it.

It achieves many things, such as giving you a sense of familiarity, a sense of safety, it keeps your hand in a "safe place" to avoid reactionary movements, and reminds you in the crucial first few seconds of awaking that you were only dreaming.

Dont know if you need this, but it worked for me.

Keep the entries coming, and dont slack on them.;) The reading is fantastic. Peace, bro.:beer:

I'll try some of that. I've never had dreams this vivid until recently. I kind of enjoy the vivid dreams - to quote a well known philosopher:

"I like sleep, that's where I'm a Viking"
- Ralph Wiggim.

But seriously...

I have been having some very vivid dreams for a couple of months and the one night was the only one that tweeked me like that. Before leaving I have had some dreams where I've talked to people I know got killed in Iraq and it was sort of creepy but at the same time re-assuring in a way that is hard to explain. I see the dreams I am going through now out there as just a part of my "quest". When I planned this thru-hike starting 10 years ago it was just going to be my long vacation upon retirement, but now it is taking in something a little deeper and maybe it is what I need. I hate to compare myself with Earl, but I think I know now part of why he did it.

I went thru SF school at Bragg in 82 in the pre SERE days, we had a 5-6 day survival FTX, about four days of which you spend alone, accomplishing assigned tasks. It was the first time most had spent a night truly alone in their lives. We were instructed to stay in our assigned areas, and not to have contact with another student. This rule was ignored by many, a lot of guys kept a fire going all night and got little rest as a result. One young ranger set his survival hooch on fire, when he climbed into the 2.5 ton, his web gear was all burned up. We didn't see him again.

I've always enjoyed my own company.
I have too. I've been on numerous solo hikes including one in the winter of 2000 when I thru-hiked the Pinhoti.

In 1998 I was the 1SG of PLDC when we had a student go lost on the last re-test of land nav. She was gone for over 24 hours before we found her. She was absolutly hysterical - she kept saying she was just so greatful to be alive. I remember thinking: 24 hours alone in the woods, sounds like a short vacation, not a survival situation.

MalTheElder
2008-01-24, 07:27
I know it's moot at this point, but I kind of expected to see a short-timer countdown on the front page.

One and a wake-up? Go, Rock! :adore:

Best,
:ranka-pfc PFC Mal

SGT Rock
2008-01-24, 19:14
Even shorter than that - just the wake up. 22:45:35

dixicritter
2008-01-27, 17:59
I dropped SGT Rock back off on the trail yesterday morning (1/26) after he called and signed out on his terminal leave. He sent me a text message last night after he made camp telling me he hiked 11.1 miles.

Marta
2008-01-28, 08:10
It was plenty cool at Wise Shelter Saturday night. I imagine Sgt.'s sleep system is getting a good testing. Did he add something on top before he went back out?

Nightwalker
2008-01-28, 13:55
To Marta and others: Rock will be okay in the cold, because his sleep setup is better than mine. Mine handled 11 degrees on a hike last week, and I was warm as toast!

He has an underquilt and I don't. I just use a Supershelter underneath with some Evazote foam added. My saving grace is the 10 degree Mountain Hardware bag that I use inside the hammock. I believe that it's really a zero bag, because 11 degrees was nothing close to the comfort limit.

Go Rock!

dixicritter
2008-01-28, 20:04
It was plenty cool at Wise Shelter Saturday night. I imagine Sgt.'s sleep system is getting a good testing. Did he add something on top before he went back out?

Yes he has something he can put on top if he needs it. The top sheet for the JRB Weathershield.

SGT Rock
2008-01-31, 09:08
I have now made it down to 6F (that is -15C for my European friends). I'll add the story to my journal today.

JAK
2008-01-31, 09:57
I'm glad your early start is working out for you.
Sounds like winter doesn't want you to miss out on anything. :)

JAK
2008-01-31, 10:26
Just finished reading your journal update January 26-28. It's getting really interesting. I've never hiked more than 5 days in a row so I don't know what its like to get into the swing of things but it sounds like your getting there, even with the gut thingy whatever that was. Those ruins were interesting as was the reference to the Trail of Tears and the TN/NC border to give us foriegners a sense of where your at. That trail magic from Tipi Walters must have been great. The best kind. Cheers.

SGT Rock
2008-01-31, 11:52
Hey JAK, go check out the entry from the 30th. The Hags were after me again.

JAK
2008-01-31, 12:07
Hehe.
Seems like Tipi Walter wanted you and the Hags to get better acquainted.

JAK
2008-01-31, 12:24
I loved the Macbeth type hag references, but you probably know you set yourself up for this one...

"It is a tale/ Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury/ Signifying nothing"
Act V, scene v, lines 26-28.

:D

p.s. Of course the real joke is on us, because some of us only read Macbeth, whereas you are living it. ;)

JAK
2008-01-31, 12:53
Hehe.
Seems like Tipi Walter wanted you and the Hags to get better acquainted.
Scene from Whigg Meadow: Act 1, Scene 3

Third Witch
A drum, a drum!
SGT Rock doth come.

ALL
The weird sisters, hand in hand,
Posters of the sea and land,
Thus do go about, about:
Thrice to thine and thrice to mine
And thrice again, to make up nine.
Peace! the charm's wound up.

Enter SGT ROCK and TIPI WALTER.

SGT ROCK
So foul and fair a day I have not seen.

TIPI WALTER
How far is't call'd to Forres? — What are these
So wither'd and so wild in their attire,
That look not like the inhabitants o' the earth,
And yet are on't? Live you? or are you aught
That man may question? You seem to understand me,
By each at once her choppy finger laying
Upon her skinny lips: you should be women,
And yet your beards forbid me to interpret
That you are so.

SGT ROCK
Speak, if you can: what are you?

First Witch
All hail, SGT Rock! hail to thee, Thane of Glamis!

Second Witch
All hail, SGT Rock, hail to thee, Thane of Cawdor!

Third Witch
All hail, SGT Rock, thou shalt be king hereafter!

TIPI WALTER
Good sir, why do you start, and seem to fear
Things that do sound so fair? — I' the name of truth,
Are ye fantastical, or that indeed
Which outwardly ye show? My noble partner
You greet with present grace and great prediction
Of noble having and of royal hope,
That he seems rapt withal; to me you speak not.
If you can look into the seeds of time,
And say which grain will grow and which will not,
Speak then to me, who neither beg nor fear
Your favours nor your hate.

First Witch
Hail!

Second Witch
Hail!

Third Witch
Hail!

First Witch
Lesser than SGT Rock, and greater.

Second Witch
Not so happy, yet much happier.

Third Witch
Thou shalt get kings, though thou be none:
So all hail, SGT Rock and Tipi Walter!

First Witch
Tipi Walter and SGT Rock, all hail!

SGT Rock
2008-01-31, 14:54
I was thinking I might find that cave somewhere out on the AT.

JAK
2008-01-31, 15:39
Or that you might have missed it already eh. :D

Nah, you haven't missed. There is only ahead. Rock on!

SGT Rock
2008-01-31, 16:12
If I find it, I imagine I'll walk in and ask what they are cooking.

JAK
2008-01-31, 16:29
Fillet of a fenny snake,
In the cauldron boil and bake;
Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder’s fork, and blind-worm’s sting,
Lizard’s leg, and howlet’s wing,
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

SGT Rock
2008-01-31, 17:30
Throw some grits in there and call me for supper.

CrazyButcher
2008-01-31, 20:07
gah macbeth, we read that in school (English original) as well... preferred "Lord of the flies", which was another English lecture, although our teacher (married to an American) was a great fan of macbeth, just us students couldn't share his enthusiasm ;) although macbeth was actually a lot easier to read then "Brave new world", which was the hardest lecture we had (and didn't finish)

JAK
2008-02-01, 13:16
What you actually read them? We use Coles notes. :)
Now with the internet and all, even that isn't neccessary for a complete education. ;)

Tipi Walter
2008-02-04, 11:43
Here's an excerpt from my Trail Journal, just compiled:

THE ROCK ARRIVES
As I was stir-frying broccoli, Shunka dog barks and who comes up the trail but BMT-AT Thruhiker Sgt Rock! To be honest, I wasn't too surprised as I knew he left Reliance 4 days ago and would pass over the Whigg on his way to the Fodderstack, Crowders, Farr Gap and Stiffknee.

He stopped long enough to cook up a pot of ramen while I got back to my tired old broccoli. The necessary fotogs were taken and we got down to lunch and a good trailside conversation.

He showed me some of his gear and souvineered me a portion of olive oil to add to my stash while I slipped him a few pieces of broccoli. Eaters unite! It was windy up there by the tent but his little alky stove quickly had his meal ready so we ate and talked about backpacking and hammocking. Afterwards he packed up his small pack and I walked him down the trail a ways as it descended from the Whigg to Mud Gap. So long, Rock!

Tipi Walter
2008-02-04, 11:53
And here's what is really ironic: The next day I was trying to get out of my tent on the Whigg and I wrote the following garbage, all relevant considering recent posts:

SHAKESPEARE IN A TENT
Go to yon water source, Young Walther, and fetch thine own liquids for repast mornings(?), tarry not upon sore haunches, flavor up and out to begin said day. Alas, poor Dork, it is cold and trembling, half-arsed coma in mine legs and yet these insistent calls for movement. Stop! Stop these mean narry comfy calls to go. Alas, loins are girded to rise off the marbled cold last rites, to rise up and out, this green pavillion, to go, perhaps to really go?

A page of homely drivel and yet he still sits so sequestered, more cur-like than man, now we see his true worth as the world around him awaits. O fair mishappened, misshapened miscreant, O how unfair these calls to rise, perhaps to go but go nonetheless! And lo and behold his festering form rising slowly, the dirt-eating turning worm in dead earnest arises, arises slowly but is up and so the day begins, the world's spirits clap in glad tidings, a few in challenged mockery.

And once up the wailing Lorelei's will have their way with him, the light of day then turns dark and toxic, but this all comes later. Forbode not and allow the dog to get up and go!

THE RESULTS OF BEING IN A TENT TOO LONG

dixicritter
2008-02-04, 16:02
That's just awesome Walter! Thank you for sharing your writings here. Very relevant indeed! :)

Rock was telling me how jealous he was of you up there making your stir-fry. He said it smelled really good as he walked up on you that day. Said you really know how to cook out there! :wink:

JAK
2008-02-04, 21:06
LOL. Great stuff. Really great stuff.

I haven't read a lot of Shakespeare but it reminded me of something I recently read, and it so I googled something about homely fair we dine and sure enough it was Burns. Didn't exactly fit what I was looking for, but I think it suits the both of you very well. Here's to you Tipi, and Rock also.

http://www.worldburnsclub.com/poems/translations/is_there_for_honest_poverty.htm

So here it is, in Standard English Translation:

What though on homely fare we dine,
Wear course grey woolen, and all that?
Give fools their silks, and knaves their wine -
A man is a man for all that.
For all that, and all that,
Their tinsel show, and all that,
The honest man, though ever so poor,
Is king of men for all that.

Tipi Walter
2008-02-04, 22:02
JAK, I see doth range ahead, high cliffs and blue mountains
And near here, stuck heavy on the ground
A full ruck in long tooth and all that.
What gods will conspire to aid my ascent,
To climb heartbreak up trails and all that?
Alas, the fleet Rock who could flail against height with toned calves
But me? Hipbelts laugh loudly whilst Rock a memory gone.
Nylon Muses poke and prick, the outdoor Delphi, crass merriment, saying
"Get your gear and go, the tent, the pegs, the bedding mat!"
But I look round about and up and down and ask
"So you want me to carry all that?"

JAK
2008-02-05, 02:13
LOL. Excellent.

Listen folks. I'm going to try and give up WB and HHQ for Lent, just as it was getting even better. Tipi and the Rock have really inspired me to get out there, even if just for a day or two now and then and we have rain instead of snow. So I figure if I can learn manage my time a little better I can do both, get my work done at work, pop in briefly for some comradery and inspiration, then head out to the woods or on up to the hills with wee Margaret when I can. The Rock and Tipi and other seem to manage their time well. I'll see if I can spend 40 days and 40 nights in the wilderness (metaphorically that is) and see if I can come back a better man. I will think of you all and try and get some interesting pics around here. Cheers.

p.s. Thanks again Dixi. Nice place you have here.

Amigi
2008-02-05, 07:09
Awesome story and pic, Tipi.

dixicritter
2008-02-05, 22:36
The boys and I met up with Rock today at Smokemont and took him into Cherokee, NC for resupply, lunch and laundry today. We also hung out at the park for a little while downloading pictures from his camera onto the laptop so I can upload them to Trailjournals.com for him. I'll be updating his journal over there, but doing so a little more slowly this time since I won't get more entries until he reaches Hot Springs and mails me more pages back home.

He's doing great! Having a good time even with the Hags trying to slowly drown him the last couple of days. LOL. He's been in fairly good spirits about it, and I was laughing while I read over his pages to be sure I knew what they said while I had him there to ask. His hand writing is pretty bad, lucky for y'all I've had LOTS of practice by now figuring out what he's written. :wink:

We dropped him back off at the trail head this afternoon with some food from Subway for his dinner so he didn't have to cook tonight when he got to camp. Then watched him walk off to do his last two nights in the Smokies. He should finish up the BMT on the 7th and start the AT on the 8th.

dixicritter
2008-02-08, 16:29
As of 2/7/2008 SGT Rock has completed the BMT. He is now officially a BMT 300 miler.

He spent last night at Standing Bear Farm hostel and today started his trek up the AT. I've updated his trail journal with the pages I picked up from him on the 5th, and he is supposed to mail me more pages from Hot Springs.

He's moving right along. :)

beas
2008-02-12, 20:56
I am living through his trail journal and it appears my life has ended on the 4th of Feb:ahhhhh:

dixicritter
2008-02-12, 21:09
It'll be OK, he's mailed more pages to me from Hot Springs, NC. They went out yesterday morning so I should get them very soon. I promised to get them up ASAP as soon as they get here.

dixicritter
2008-02-12, 21:11
Oh and I'll also be seeing him on Friday in Erwin, TN and picking him up for the weekend, so I'll be getting more pages from him then too. We're going to be celebrating our youngest son's birthday this weekend.

beas
2008-02-12, 22:29
Great, those of us stuck at home hike vicariously (used spell check didn't know that one) through him.

BEAS

GGS2
2008-02-12, 23:37
Oh and I'll also be seeing him on Friday in Erwin, TN and picking him up for the weekend, so I'll be getting more pages from him then too. We're going to be celebrating our youngest son's birthday this weekend.

Tell Creekhopper happy birthday from HHQ for us all, will you?

dixicritter
2008-02-13, 11:01
Great, those of us stuck at home hike vicariously (used spell check didn't know that one) through him.

BEAS
I totally understand. I promise not to hold the pages hostage. :wink:

Tell Creekhopper happy birthday from HHQ for us all, will you?

I'll tell him! Thank you! :)

dixicritter
2008-02-13, 17:00
Rock's pages arrived in the mail today. Three days worth are up, three more to transcribe. Taking a break to rest now. :wink:

beas
2008-02-13, 22:16
wew i didn't know if i could make it anymore thanks to you i can relax to.

BEAS

dixicritter
2008-02-13, 23:31
It'll be ok Beas...LOL. I now have two more days worth to get up, and I'll be picking more up from him this weekend.

SGT Rock
2008-02-16, 17:36
All that Shakespeare and stuff... It clouds my mind.

Speaking of all that. Normally I dismiss all the talk of ghosts and haunts and all. BUT, I walked the ridges between Jerry Cabin Shelter and Frozen knob and that whole area had a strange feel to it. There are long fields of grasses and wind shaped trees plus briers and other odd looking features. There were even massive stones standing upright that looked like displaced pieces of Stonehenge at random spots. To top it all off there is the spot where a thru-hiker is interred on top of one of the balds and the Shelton Grave sites where those boys were murdered during the Civil War. And all this in a fog and drizzle/sleet/snow.

I kept expecting to turn a corner and see Hags making a pot of grits under one of those gnarled out old trees. If I had to guess a spot for Hags to live on the trail - it is near Big Butt.

beas
2008-02-20, 10:51
Its happening again, I am sitting here at home in the dark like a bunch of junkies that smoked up the light bill.
Where is he did he recover from the squirts
lol
I ain't that bad off but it fun to post.

BEAS

dixicritter
2008-02-20, 20:59
Yeah, he recovered and was hiking out of Erwin this morning. So I imagine he's probably done at least 17 miles today after all the rest he's had...LOL.

Oh and I updated his journal this morning... I have three more days worth to get up, and he promised to mail more pages home probably around Hampton, TN.

dixicritter
2008-02-23, 12:58
Heard from SGT Rock last night. He was at Over Mountain Shelter. Planned on getting up "early" this morning and knocking out some miles. Said he hopes to make it to Kincora Hostel by either tomorrow or Monday.

dixicritter
2008-02-28, 08:16
Forgot to update that Rock made Kincora on Sunday. Sorry about that. He is now in Damascus. He got there last night and plans to zero there today doing resupply, laundry and visiting with friends we have there.

dixicritter
2008-03-01, 22:09
The boys and I just got home this evening from surprising Rock with a visit to Damascus. He was staying over there one more night Friday with our friend Lone Wolf after slackpacking Friday from Summit Cut back into Damascus, so LW and I cooked up this plan to surprise Rock. I got the boys out of school an hour early and headed for Damascus (even LW didn't know about that part).

Well I'm driving down I-40 at about 3:10pm when my cell phone rings and it's Rock calling me, so I answer and tell him Creek Hopper and I are on our way to the bank to cash a check he got for his birthday before his brother gets home. We talk for a little while, then when I think it has been about long enough for me to have just about reached the bank I tell him I've got to get going, but I'll call him back later.

So when we get into Damascus I do call him back to find out exactly where he and Lone Wolf are, because LW had told me they could be at Dot's or at his house and I wanted to just show up at the right place. Well the phone rings through to voicemail and I hang up. I'm like Oh great, he didn't take his phone with him, that's just wonderful. Then he calls me back. Whew. So I asked him what he was up to, and he said he and LW were just hanging out at Dot's. BINGO! I try to play it cool, so I'm all "Oh that's good. The boys and I were just headed out shopping so I thought I'd call you back real quick. But I can let you go and call you back later if you want."

I had the info I needed, we get off the phone and Dead man walking starts cracking up. I look at him and say "we're going to Dot's boys." I drive over there and park the car in such a way that neither of them even saw us pull up or get out of the car. We walked up to the door, opened the door and were walking in before they knew we were there. It was priceless! Lone Wolf was pointing at us and saying "Rock Look!" And Rock looked over, jaw dropped open for a second, and yelled out "Holy Shit!" as he jumped off his bar stool and ran over to grab the boys and give them each a big ole bear hug, saying "This is GREAT!" with each one. Then he got to me and gave me one too and said the same thing followed by "This is what I call Trail Magic!"

Oh yeah, and I apologized for lying to him...LOL, but he didn't care.

warraghiyagey
2008-03-02, 04:56
Sounds like you just lived wone of the great moments in life that you'll remenisce about forever.:beer:

Rosaleen
2008-03-02, 10:56
DixiCritter-

Very cool! One question-Is Rock going to somehow backtrack to make Trail Days? I suppose he could do a "yo-yo" and head up to someplace, say Harper's Ferry and hike south to Damascus, then head back to HF to continue north again. I am thinking of Harpers Ferry as a possible spot mainly because it is the home of the ATC office and has train service. Rock could catch a train to DC or another well-traveled public transit stop, or hook up with another hiker with transportation.

Regards,

Rosaleen

dixicritter
2008-03-02, 11:35
Actually we've discussed Trail Days this year and decided that we're going to have to skip it. He's going to be taking a week off in two weeks when the boys have their spring break for us to take a family vacation, then he's got to get moving on the trail.

We will try and make it next year though.

Iceman
2008-03-02, 11:54
Dixicritter, you are so awesome.....very cool and special....what an example to set for everyone. (Rock owes you big time...) :biggrin:

Rosaleen
2008-03-02, 12:32
Too bad about Trail Days, but the family vaca sounds wonderful for you all.

Do you have a projection when Rock will be in shouting distance of New England? I would like to plan to be in my home range, hoping I can play Trail Angel for him. Maybe I can be hiking in his area with goodies for him in a vehicle not too far away.

Rosaleen

dixicritter
2008-03-02, 13:08
Dixicritter, you are so awesome.....very cool and special....what an example to set for everyone. (Rock owes you big time...) :biggrin:

Thank you Iceman. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ashamed002.gif

Too bad about Trail Days, but the family vaca sounds wonderful for you all.

Do you have a projection when Rock will be in shouting distance of New England? I would like to plan to be in my home range, hoping I can play Trail Angel for him. Maybe I can be hiking in his area with goodies for him in a vehicle not too far away.

Rosaleen

I'll have to get back to ya on that one. I know he plans to try and summit by around July 4th.

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-02, 14:37
::: Dino dabs at tears of joy over the imagined scene at Dots :::

Lone Wolf
2008-03-02, 15:02
::: Dino dabs at tears of joy over the imagined scene at Dots :::

it was touching

Amigi
2008-03-03, 21:50

Fking A. Rock, marry this woman, oh wait...

You are an angel, Dix. I think about this journey of Rock's a lot, for obvious reasons. I wish I had had a woman who was this gracious and understanding.

dixicritter
2008-03-04, 15:24
Fking A. Rock, marry this woman, oh wait...

You are an angel, Dix. I think about this journey of Rock's a lot, for obvious reasons. I wish I had had a woman who was this gracious and understanding.

Oh come on... You've got a good woman too I'll bet. I'm not always so understand y'all...LOL. I have my moments trust me. I just try not to let them take over too much. Yeah there are times when I want to just yell and scream "Get your butt home you've been gone way too long as it is" but I can't ever bring myself to do that when I am actually talking to him. Those are the moments when I've put the boys to bed and I'm sitting all alone in the house at night searching for something to watch on TV (which really sucks lately by the way).

Then the puppy will do something cute and funny and I'll be laughing at her.... or a friend/family member will call on the phone... or I'll find a show on TV that doesn't totally suck... or a really fun thread will get started on WhiteBlaze (or maybe here one day) and the pity party is over just as quickly as it started.

I've actually been thinking about writing an article for this site about some of this stuff. Something along the lines of "How to deal with the separation while your Significant other is Hiking"... Or something like that. I sort of feel like I have enough experience with long separations that I can offer some advice on this intelligently. ;)

dixicritter
2008-03-04, 15:26
Also as an Update on SGT Rock....

Last night he sent me a text message letting me know he had made it to Hurricane Mountain Shelter in Virginia. He says he is now 1/4 of the way done with the trail. :)

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-04, 18:08
::: Dino wonders if Rock is using jet engines to hike ::::

dixicritter
2008-03-04, 18:28
He must be Dino, I just got off the phone with him a few minutes ago. He's made it to Partnership Shelter already. Said he left this morning at 0800 and because of the rain today, didn't really stop much at all today. His text message came in at 1644 saying he'd arrived and the phone rang a minute or two later. He's going to be ordering himself a pizza here in a little bit and trying to get it delivered. LOL.

I also just did another update to his journal a little bit ago. Oh and is it wrong to heckle a heckler in his guestbook? LOL He has this guy, Nick Fury, that keeps posting flame guest entries in his guest book. The last one said that he hadn't heard from Rock in a while so he assumes Rock has quit because he's such a sniveler. I went in and edited it to add... "Wrong again but thanks for playing. dixicritter" in bold. LMAO. I'm sure he'll be oh so happy when he sees that.

I sort of have a feeling I know who is doing it, which is why I did that. I started to just deleted the entries this guy has been making but I think Rock would like this much better. :D

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-04, 19:15
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/eatdrink026.gif Pizza for dinner. Good grief, Rock made like 19 miles in the pounding storms today. What a man, what a man. !

warraghiyagey
2008-03-05, 03:35
I sort of have a feeling I know who is doing it, which is why I did that. I started to just deleted the entries this guy has been making but I think Rock would like this much better. :D

It was ME!!!! I admit the whole thing. :bootyshak :bootyshak

Lone Wolf
2008-03-05, 07:51
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/eatdrink026.gif Pizza for dinner. Good grief, Rock made like 19 miles in the pounding storms today. What a man, what a man. !

20.8. i'm gonna go find him in atkins today

dixicritter
2008-03-05, 08:06
It was ME!!!! I admit the whole thing. :bootyshak :bootyshak
Yeah right... Not buying that warragy. I know better. You're too funny! LOL. I could say who I think it is, but I don't want to be accused of slander. It's not really that hard to figure out though, this same person has flamed both Rock and I on Trail Journals for months now.

20.8. i'm gonna go find him in atkins today
He asked me last night if I knew if you were planning on showing up there last night. I said I didn't know.

Lone Wolf
2008-03-05, 08:14
Yeah right... Not buying that warragy. I know better. You're too funny! LOL. I could say who I think it is, but I don't want to be accused of slander. It's not really that hard to figure out though, this same person has flamed both Rock and I on Trail Journals for months now.

He asked me last night if I knew if you were planning on showing up there last night. I said I didn't know.

had plans to but ended up at Dot's with Baltimore Jack, Lumber, Wonder, Gypsy, Vera, Roy and others. will find him in a few hours and take him to lunch

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-05, 10:00
Saw this entry in Rock's guestbook over on Trail Journals:
Name: Preach
Message: Sarge, I saw on one of your entries that you used a cell phone to call home. Son, don't you know that it's a sin to use a cellphone on the trail? I'm concerned about your soul. You should repent and sin no more.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Sgtrock-getoutofhellfree.jpg

warraghiyagey
2008-03-05, 11:31
[QUOTE=dixicritter;23439]Yeah right... Not buying that warragy. I know better. You're too funny! LOL. I could say who I think it is, but I don't want to be accused of slander. It's not really that hard to figure out though, this same person has flamed both Rock and I on Trail Journals for months now.
QUOTE]

No, really, I can prove it. I said that ummm, you guys were jerks and that, uhhh. . . your sleeping bags smell musty and that your dog is ugly.
See?
Told you it was me.:bath:

dixicritter
2008-03-06, 14:07
FD I LOVE the get out of hell free card!!! That's too cool!

Warragy... still not buying, but nice try. LOL.

UPDATE...

I talked to SGT Rock this morning before he left L. Wolf's house (again lol) and they have come up with a great plan that will save me some driving on the 15th of March when I go to pick Rock up for our vacation. L. Wolf is going to drop Rock off about 3 walking days north of Pearisburg (sorry I've forgotten exactly where he said, my mind is a little foggy lately) and Rock will hike south towards Atkins, VA (which is where L. Wolf picked him up yesterday).

This will make it easier for me as Atkins is right on I-81 and I have a tendency to get turned around very easily (does that make my avatar make more sense?) so staying on the interstate is a good idea for me. This is really nice of them to think of ways to make things a little easier for me too. What a couple a great guys they are! :)

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-06, 14:33
FD I LOVE the get out of hell free card!!! That's too cool!I'm thinking of making up some 'get into hell free' card for another site :D -- no more peeking over my trifocals...

dixicritter
2008-03-06, 14:47
I'm thinking of making up some 'get into hell free' card for another site :D -- no more peeking over my trifocals...

LOL... good idea. :wink:

warraghiyagey
2008-03-07, 11:43
Well if Rock ever has it in him to write a book on his thru-hike I've got a title idea for him.
The Pampered Hiker
:biggrin:

warraghiyagey
2008-03-07, 11:44
This would also work as a title for any hiker that battles incontinence.

Hahahahahahahaha:biggrin:

dixicritter
2008-03-07, 17:02
Well if Rock ever has it in him to write a book on his thru-hike I've got a title idea for him.
The Pampered Hiker
:biggrin:

LMAO... That's a good one!

It just warms my heart to see the kindnesses he's being shown though. Especially knowing how much I feel he deserves it, even if he doesn't think so. LOL. It honestly sorta embarrasses him truth be told, to have such a fuss made over him because as far as he's concerned he's no different than anyone else. No matter what I try to tell him. ;)

He's a hero in this family whether he likes it or not.

dixicritter
2008-03-08, 19:31
I got a call a little while ago from SGT Rock. He did a little over 20 miles today and is now in a hotel in Pearisburg for the evening. He was waiting on his pizzas (two medium supremes) to be finished cooking while I was talking to him, then he was I believe going to either go grocery shopping or back to his hotel room.

He plans on hiking I think he said something like 18+ miles tomorrow, so that he can take a zero on the trail Monday for his birthday at this really cool place he was telling me about. I think it's cool.

Lone Wolf
2008-03-08, 20:16
I got a call a little while ago from SGT Rock. He did a little over 20 miles today and is now in a hotel in Pearisburg for the evening. He was waiting on his pizzas (two medium supremes) to be finished cooking while I was talking to him, then he was I believe going to either go grocery shopping or back to his hotel room.

He plans on hiking I think he said something like 18+ miles tomorrow, so that he can take a zero on the trail Monday for his birthday at this really cool place he was telling me about. I think it's cool.

Dismal Falls. He will have visitors tomorrow and Monday.:birthday:

dixicritter
2008-03-08, 20:26
Dismal Falls. He will have visitors tomorrow and Monday.:birthday:

Yeah that's the place. I had a blonde moment there, and I'm not even blonde... LOL. I think it's so cool he's not going to be alone on his birthday, especially since the boys and I can't be there with him.

Tin Man
2008-03-08, 23:29
When does Rock get to hike his own hike? It's beginning to sound more like an extended ruck than a thru-hike. :biggrin:

:birthday:

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-09, 10:22
Guess the Dino won't need to hike in cupcakes this year. wonder if you can put a birthday candle in a steak?

dixicritter
2008-03-11, 15:50
Talking to SGT Rock on the phone right now. He hiked 8 miles today to Jenny Knob Shelter. Taking it easy on the feet and legs. LOL.

Nightwalker
2008-03-12, 07:22
Talking to SGT Rock on the phone right now. He hiked 8 miles today to Jenny Knob Shelter. Taking it easy on the feet and legs. LOL.

Good on him. He's been tearing it up so far.

I plan on getting up to 15 mpd average of days that I walk, but taking 1 day in 6 off. I don't want to finish a thru and be THROUGH hiking! :)

Tell Rock that I said hello, and I hope to be standing up with him and this year's class at The Gathering. I'm leaving Saturday, so y'all all please wish me luck and pray for me!

Nightwalker
2008-03-12, 07:23
When does Rock get to hike his own hike? It's beginning to sound more like an extended ruck than a thru-hike. :biggrin:

:birthday:

P.S. Ain't a danged thang wrong with having so many folks love you up the trail! Ruck on, Rock! :D

dixicritter
2008-03-13, 22:21
Last night Rock stayed with Alligator from WhiteBlaze at his house. Alligator picked him up in Bland. He put Rock back on the trail this morning about 9am and I got a text message this evening from Rock saying he was at Dennis Farm Campsite this evening.

The boys and I pick him up Saturday at I81 in Atkins for Spring Break family vacation.

Lone Wolf
2008-03-13, 22:23
Last night Rock stayed with Alligator from WhiteBlaze at his house. Alligator picked him up in Bland. He put Rock back on the trail this morning about 9am and I got a text message this evening from Rock saying he was at Dennis Farm Campsite this evening.

The boys and I pick him up Saturday at I81 in Atkins for Spring Break family vacation.

Davis Farm campsite

dixicritter
2008-03-13, 22:25
Davis Farm campsite

Oops good catch. That's what I get for typing with a headache. I even looked at it first...LOL.

dixicritter
2008-03-14, 22:32
SGT Rock mailed me more journal pages. I've been busy trying to get those typed into his journal. So far I've gotten up to March 4th typed in. I have 6 more days worth to go. I seriously doubt I can get those all typed in tonight. I might be able to do one more.

I got a text message from Rock a little while ago. He's at Knot Maul Branch Shelter tonight. The boys and I will be picking him up tomorrow around lunch time in Atkins. We're looking forward to seeing him again.

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-16, 14:30
Just got off the phone with Rock. He sounds great and has been having a wonderful hike. Kristi has picked him up. He's taking a week off for family time while the boys are out for spring break. The Dinos will be returning him to the trail on the Monday after Easter and doing some hiking of their own.

FireFighter56
2008-03-20, 02:59
when rockk gets into schuylkill co. pennsylvania let me know....i'll tryto meet up with him on the AT....bit readin alot on this site for a few months...just don't post much...not a big talker.....sorry guys and girls :P

can meet up with him near cort clinton PA can do a few miles with him

FireFighter56
2008-03-20, 03:02
when rock gets into schuylkill co. PA let me know i'll try to meet up with him on the AT bin reading alot on the site for a few months just don't post much...ok ever lol...not a big talker......

let me know when he gets into cort clinton PA...i can meet up with him and hike some

FireFighter56
2008-03-20, 03:03
sorry for the first post...bad typer..LOL

dixicritter
2008-03-24, 12:44
Rock, the boys and I had a great week last week. Rock is all rested, has been well fed and raring to go now. We got up this morning and saw the boys off to school. Then we drove over to Frolicking Dino's house. She and her husband are taking him back up to VA for me so I don't have to make that long drive (Thank you!!!!).

Rock's journal has been updated through yesterday. I'm not sure when he'll be mailing me updates, probably either Daleville or Waynesboro or maybe both if I'm lucky. :)

warraghiyagey
2008-03-24, 12:46
Thanks DC.
Have a great day. And a great spring.

dixicritter
2008-03-24, 20:49
I got a phone call earlier from Rock. He's back on the trail after being dropped off by Frolicking Dino and He-Dino. He was about to head to the shelter when he called.

I also just got a call from the Dinos. They have had a good day of day hiking, and are now headed to their motel for the night. It is snowing on them though, which they didn't anticipate according to He-Dino. I don't know if this will change their plans or not he didn't say.

Apparently on their way up to drop Rock off they stopped in Atkins at the Barn Restaurant for lunch and Rock left his hat behind. So they were also letting me know they had stopped back by and picked it up for him and would bring it home to me so I can mail it to him in his next mail drop or something. Silly man would lose his head if it weren't firmly attached. Actually he's gotten lazy after a week of me keeping up with everything for him...LOL.

That's about all I know for now. I'll update more as I know more.

warraghiyagey
2008-03-24, 21:34
Good stuff DC. Thanks

Bear
2008-03-24, 22:22
How does the old saying go? Behind every good man there is ... Or something like that.:adore:

dixicritter
2008-03-27, 23:06
I just got off the phone with Rock. This week he's only camped out on the trail Monday night, the rest of the week he has been staying in Roanoke with a friend of ours, Hikerhead, and day hiking up to Daleville. Today he did a 20 miler from RT 311 to Daleville and is now has some sore legs and feet. He's also pretty tired.

He was working on tomorrow's hike plan when we got off the phone. He's planning on staying another night in Roanoke as far as I know right now. More when I have it.

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-27, 23:56
Some pics of our getting furry and skinny Rock on Monday. The guy with him is He-Dino

Frolicking Dino
2008-04-01, 14:45
on another forum (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=582257#post582257)
Well actually I do have an update... Not good news... and no this is not an April fools gag. I just got off the phone with SGT Rock and he asked me to post this, he's looking for a ride into Glasgow, VA. He needs to get home to get to the doctor. His left ankle isn't healing, it is getting worse and now his knee is starting to go. So thus ends his thru. He's hoping someone will read this that can come rescue him or knows someone in the area. He's trying to get to the bus station in either Lynchburg or Roanoke.

Again, this is Not an April Fool's joke! He's pretty bummed, but said that the hike has become more like a job than fun anymore so he's ready to call it quits. He's gotten out of it what he wanted, so he's ready to come home. His words.Hikerhead and Hooch are getting him home late this evening. He's near Glasgow, VA on the Blueridge Parkway for now.

You are our hero, Sgt Rock. You have experienced more and hurt more than most who scale Katahdin.

::: Dino seen showering Rock with love and admiration :::
and man, did he need a shower

warraghiyagey
2008-04-01, 15:53
Rock, you are the man. Looking forward to meeting you in the south this year.
Yes, yes, have a great summer.:beer:
Glad to hear you've enjoyed the trail thus far. . .

grannyhiker
2008-04-01, 19:21
Sorry to hear that the trip has to end, but it's better to quit now and get medical attention before he does any permanent damage. I will miss reading his journal. I know it will be a big welcome home scene tonight! My prayers for a safe journey home and a good recovery.

dixicritter
2008-04-01, 20:55
Dino, Thanks so much for posting over here while I was so busy getting my head together and everything ready for Rock's homecoming.

I must add that another hiker by the name Thoughtful Owl also pitched in since Dino's posting. He got Rock from Glasgow to Roanoke, Hikerhead is getting Rock from Roanoke to Damascus, and Hooch is taking the last leg from Roanoke to home. Words just can't seem to express how grateful I am to these guys.

The response was actually just overwhelming when I made that post. It is absolutely amazing how wonderful and selfless the hiking community can be when one of their own is in need like this. It is so uplifting. OK I've got to go do something else now, or I'll be a puffy eyed mess when Rock gets home...LOL.

Thanks again everyone!!!! Y'all are the absolute BEST!!!!

dixicritter
2008-04-02, 01:03
Hooch and Rock have arrived at the house safe and sound. Just thought I'd let y'all know. Hooch is going to catch some z's before driving back to home.

Bear
2008-04-02, 01:36
Sorry to hear about your injury Rock but glad you made it home safe. Hope everything heals well and soon. Good luck to you and your family.

warraghiyagey
2008-04-02, 01:59
Hooch and Rock have arrived at the house safe and sound. Just thought I'd let y'all know. Hooch is going to catch some z's before driving back to home.

ALL good stuff. Good to hear you're all together again.

dixicritter
2008-04-02, 16:55
Just wanted to let y'all know that Rock was able to get a doctor's appointment for today at 3pm. He's actually still there, should be home in a little while I'd imagine. We will let y'all know what the doc has to say about his ankle.

eyewall
2008-04-13, 14:16
Hello Dixicritter and Rock. Sorry to here about the ankle. Take it from a guy who knows, get the ankle repaired. I really enjoyed reading Rock's journal...and as an added bonus, we all got a pic of dixicritter! Very cool to know what motivates Sgt. Rock. And, its very cool that Sgt. Rock motivates the rest of us! Hope to see you on the trail...Good Luck with the ankle.