PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on how to choose/use crampons

saimyoji
2008-01-10, 23:08
Title is pretty straight forward. I'm looking into some different models, basically not sure what type of crampon, ice cleat I'll need. I do hike in snowy and icy rocky conditions. Snow shoes aren't really an option because, well, PA is mostly rocks.

8 point? 4 point instep? Have heard crap things about yaktraks etc.

Any advice? Links to good info?

jrwiesz
2008-01-10, 23:53
Title is pretty straight forward. I'm looking into some different models, basically not sure what type of crampon, ice cleat I'll need. I do hike in snowy and icy rocky conditions. Snow shoes aren't really an option because, well, PA is mostly rocks.

8 point? 4 point instep? Have heard crap things about yaktraks etc.

Any advice? Links to good info?

No advice on crampons per say. But, if you make a decision check out
steepandcheap, as I have noticed a few offered over the last few days.

Sly
2008-01-11, 00:46
For PA you should only need instep. Here's some...

http://www.google.com/products?q=instep+crampons&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B2GGGL_enUS175US176

You may also want to check Campmor.

saimyoji
2008-01-11, 01:11
OK I'm dumb. I should have asked: What kind of cleats/crampons do I need and why? So, thanks sly, jr, I have checked out all those links, what I really need is schoolin on the toolin. What types of cleats/crampons should you use when?

Sly
2008-01-11, 01:18
Well, you really only need crampons when your climbing or walking over ice. Since PA is mostly flat the need isn't that great. If you were hiking in NH in the winter time, where the trail is steep, you need the kind with the spikes in front to dig in, you'd also need an ice axe.

saimyoji
2008-01-11, 01:31
Well, PA does get pretty icy and snowy. Maybe not 12 point crampon type icy, but certainly ice cleat type hiking. Think mini-boulder hopping but icyboulders. Been there, hiked it, wish I had the right gear. Really I'm narrowing down to 60 bucks for Microspikes or something cheaper. Don't want to waste money on something that will only last a season like yaktraks....

Rick
2008-01-11, 22:29
Grivel New Classic 10 pointers. But you will spend a lot of time putting them on and taking them off here in PA, as they are a pain to wear on bare rock.. I heard katoola's loose their spikes too easily and the yaks get worn through pretty quickly.