PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Walk in silence

Fishinfred
2008-01-11, 17:30
Winton from Mt.Crossings just emailed me about this .It will be Sunday the 20th 10am . Read more about the hike at MountainCrossings.com (http://mountaincrossings.com)(click on the Memorial link) There is a beautiful poem there too. I'll be there, hope you will too.
PEACE
FF

SGT Rock
2008-01-11, 18:07
Outstanding. I don't know if I can make it that weekend or not, but I'll try.

Fishinfred
2008-01-11, 18:26
I'll be at the S.Ruck but perhaps some stuff scheduled for sunday can be crammed into sat... somehow.... eh Sly????

Sly
2008-01-11, 19:04
I'll be at the S.Ruck but perhaps some stuff scheduled for sunday can be crammed into sat... somehow.... eh Sly????

I don't know, we went through this on Whiteblaze. There's no way I can pack everything into Saturday and I'm trying to do something at the Ruck itself. It's tough being in two places at once. I'm sure Meredith would understand. I would.

SGT Rock
2008-01-11, 19:08
However it happens, I'm sure there can be more than one hike as well. Instead of few people converging on one place, it could be a day were everyone gets out and takes a walk with a moment of silence. I'm headed out tomorrow, I know I will.

Sly
2008-01-11, 19:16
BTW, Fred I got the stickers in the mail today. I also posted a the pic from WB of the sticker on the SoRuck website earlier.

Tin Man
2008-01-11, 19:27
However it happens, I'm sure there can be more than one hike as well. Instead of few people converging on one place, it could be a day were everyone gets out and takes a walk with a moment of silence. I'm headed out tomorrow, I know I will.

Great idea! I was feeling left out in here in CT, where I am only a few miles from the AT. I will hit the trail in the morning, turn south, pause and say a silent prayer for Meredith.

Sly
2008-01-11, 19:41
Great idea! I was feeling left out in here in CT, where I am only a few miles from the AT. I will hit the trail in the morning, turn south, pause and say a silent prayer for Meredith.

Yup, follow your heart.

Jaybird62
2008-01-11, 20:31
I hope its ok to post this here, some of us are getting together tommorrow, Jan. 12, to do a memorial hike for Meredith. We will be meeting at the Rt. 873 bridge parking area @ 10 am. Anyone who wants to join us would be more than welcome.

SGT Rock
2008-01-11, 20:34
It's plenty fine to post that here Jaybird.

Lone Wolf
2008-01-11, 23:33
i've been in touch with a person close to this "memorial walk". it's going to be a very crowded event. lots of media and such. i probably won't go now knowing this. i'd rather do the loop hike i talked about with a few hiker trash at some other time. i'd be willing to do it early that sunday morning long before the throngs show up. we'll see come next sunday

Fishinfred
2008-01-12, 01:45
Count me in Wolf ...Your post on WB about walking the loop in Merediths footsteps & spirit ...is what its all about for me ,I wasn't even planning on coming down till I read that post........ its something I FEEL I NEED TO DO TOO !
FOR MEREDITH....not a media frenzy (even though its all good )
SUNRISE HIKE... IN SILENCE ........the whole loop! I'll follow you brother !

I'll see you at the Ruck.
PEACE!
FF

Lone Wolf
2008-01-12, 09:58
More on Meredith
www.wsbtv.com/video/15032246/index.html

Lone Wolf
2008-01-12, 10:06
Count me in Wolf ...Your post on WB about walking the loop in Merediths footsteps & spirit ...is what its all about for me ,I wasn't even planning on coming down till I read that post........ its something I FEEL I NEED TO DO TOO !
FOR MEREDITH....not a media frenzy (even though its all good )
SUNRISE HIKE... IN SILENCE ........the whole loop! I'll follow you brother !

I'll see you at the Ruck.
PEACE!
FF

let's leave NOC about 5 AM and arrive at the Byron Reece parking area about 6:30 and start walking as the sun comes up

Sly
2008-01-12, 10:39
I'll share a couple emails I got this morning about Meredith. The second came in minutes after responding to the first.

The first asking if I made it to yesterdays memorial service.

No I didn't. I had some things to do in the morning and was running too late. To be honest, now that it's over, I rather celebrate her life, than remember the tragedy. Personally, I don't do things like that in numbers and one reason I won't attempt to make the silent "downhill" walk at Neels Gap. I'd rather climb a mountain alone or with a few friends.

The second was CC to margeparg, *who I assume is organizing the walk*. The question

IS there a way those at the Southern Ruck at NOC
can be a part of this on Jan 20th. Many have made plans for months and paid our housing cost but still want to be apart of Merideth's Memorial.

My response...

Yes, I'm aware of the walk at Neels Gap. The hikes at the Southern Ruck will be in Meredith's memory as will the Sunday devotional. Anyone that wants to make the walk at Neels Gap of course can. It's about 1.5 hours away so you'll have to plan accordingly.

Frolicking Dino
2008-01-12, 11:29
The more private walk sounds more like how we would want to honor the memory of our fallen fellow hiker.

The idea of a massive media event sickens me - it just doesn't seem to be how the deceased lady would have wanted to be memorialized. She was out on a day hike alone with her dog on New years Day - this is obviously someone who felt about hiking and the trail as most of us do - a place for solitude, quietness and reflection - not a place for the media, crowds and everything that goes with it. We Dinos will likely hike her path alone or with a few close friends soon.

Skidsteer
2008-01-12, 16:58
let's leave NOC about 5 AM and arrive at the Byron Reece parking area about 6:30 and start walking as the sun comes up

I'm in.
. . .

yuppie_redneck
2008-01-15, 15:21
I think this was a fine way to remember her. Grief is easier to bear when shared for most of us. I am new here and did not find this post until today, else I would have joined you. This event hit home, being so close to home - and near where we hike so often.

May she find clear trails and fair weather evermore.

JAK
2008-01-15, 15:50
This weekend I will take my daughter for a day hike in Meredith's memory.
Thanks to all of you for the inspiration. Much to think about.

SGT Rock
2008-01-15, 23:27
The mass media event sort of makes me want to move on to something more quiet too. For the record...

Monday when I was on Chimney Top and the wind was howling, I found a spot on the ridge that was totally blocked from the howling wind on one side, but totally exposed to the sun on the other. It felt like I had left -1F to go to a sunny 60F. I sat there and just marveled at the view and had a quiet minute for Meridith. I sort of got the notion that a girl like that went up on a mountain with the weather in the teens to experience exactly what I was going through right then. Then I decided a girl full of life like that deserved a war-whoop of appreciation, so I let one out.