PDA

View Full Version : 1 in 15 million

Ron Haven
2008-01-12, 12:01
I was watching a program on tv last night and it showed the death of Meredith and it is still so sad in all of our hearts.But as sad as it is,it also said"there has only been 6 deaths on the A T since people started hiking it".

They said,"this is 1 in 15 million who has been there".Comparing those odds won't bring her or the other 5 back but it is still a safe place.In the cities they said 1 in 30 thousand dies from domestic violence,1 in 15 thousand dies in a car accident,1 in 18 thousand dies in a robbery and there were several other stats.

So as sad as it was loosing her,at least they found the killer,and by her death may solve 3 other deaths.

sailingsoul
2008-01-13, 13:54
So true tiamalle. Everyone who enjoys camping and the trails take this tragedy like a punch in the heart. Keep it in a realistic perspective is necessary not to react in a way that robs one of enjoying the woods as you should. SS

Rick
2008-01-13, 17:14
More than 6 deaths. They didn't do enough research.

For starters there were the 2 girls in Shenandoah 10 years ago (Williams & Winans).
There was the girl murdered in PA near Pine Grove Furnace area - Another was shot and escaped with her life. (Murderer is Stephen Roy Carr)
There was a couple killed up near Duncannon about 15 years ago (Murderer is Paul David Crew)
There was another couple killed further south than PA by a drifter In 1981 a couple murdered in VA - Murderer is Randall Lee Smith.
There were a couple of other murders in the 70's.

That's at least 9 murders. I imagine their 15 Million number is also suspect.

Rick
2008-01-13, 17:19
MURDERS ON THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL
May 1974: Joel Polsom, 26, killed.
April 1975: Janice Balza, 22, killed in a Tennessee shelter.
May 1981: Susan Ramsey, 27, and Robert Mountford, 27, killed in a
remote lean-to.
May 1988: Rebecca Wight, 29, of Blacksburg, Va., frightened off
trail and shot.
Sept. 1990: Molly LaRue, 25, of Shaker Heights, Ohio, and
Geoffrey Hood, 26, shot
May 1996: Julianne Williams, 24, of St. Cloud, Minn., and Lollie
Winans, 26, of Unity, Maine, killed at a campsite off a side trail.

Ron Haven
2008-01-13, 17:47
More than 6 deaths. They didn't do enough research.

For starters there were the 2 girls in Shenandoah 10 years ago (Williams & Winans).
There was the girl murdered in PA near Pine Grove Furnace area - Another was shot and escaped with her life. (Murderer is Stephen Roy Carr)
There was a couple killed up near Duncannon about 15 years ago (Murderer is Paul David Crew)
There was another couple killed further south than PA by a drifter In 1981 a couple murdered in VA - Murderer is Randall Lee Smith.
There were a couple of other murders in the 70's.

That's at least 9 murders. I imagine their 15 Million number is also suspect.Rick,you are right I guess.I guess they didn't check into it very well.It was reported by Nancy Grace.I remember talk of those in Va.

Take-a-knee
2008-01-13, 22:55
MURDERS ON THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL
May 1974: Joel Polsom, 26, killed.
April 1975: Janice Balza, 22, killed in a Tennessee shelter.
May 1981: Susan Ramsey, 27, and Robert Mountford, 27, killed in a
remote lean-to.
May 1988: Rebecca Wight, 29, of Blacksburg, Va., frightened off
trail and shot.
Sept. 1990: Molly LaRue, 25, of Shaker Heights, Ohio, and
Geoffrey Hood, 26, shot
May 1996: Julianne Williams, 24, of St. Cloud, Minn., and Lollie
Winans, 26, of Unity, Maine, killed at a campsite off a side trail.

And some unsuspecting soul will be next.

dropkick
2008-01-14, 02:16
In my estimation it's not worth worrying about.
Your more likely to die a violent death in your own home.

GGS
2008-01-14, 12:43

I agree with Dropkick. I my city we had 6 murders in the year 2006. This year there was a serial killer working within a mile radius of my house (who thankfully was caught). However I can't think of a single news article in all of Michigan where a hiker was abducted/killed this year.

JAK
2008-01-14, 13:11
How many hiker-miles or hiker days does the Appalachian trail see each year?
Has anyone drawn up a graph of hiker density month by month, mile by mile?

Amigi
2008-01-14, 14:26
I know I feel safer 40 miles from "regular" ppl when on a trail than when at home.

Rick
2008-01-14, 15:53

I don't know specifically if anybody is worrying about it, but my point is that if you are a reporting news org, you should at least have some fact checkers before you make incorrect statements, unless you use a qualifier.