PDA

View Full Version : penny stove modifications

JRiker
2008-01-12, 17:36
I've currently been working with the penny alcohol stove and find it to be reliable and efficient. I wanted to make it more efficient, and found a way to do so. here's the facts.

used the i heineken and 3 pop can design.

original boil time 6 minutes 15 seconds (2/3 ounce of fuel, 2 cups water, stainless steel 5 piece mess kit pot with lid, using issue esbit stove and sgt rock windscreen)

added perlite on inside:

new boil time with same equipment 6 minutes and 30 seconds.

boil time has increased but i was able to achieve rolling boil with 1/2 ounce of fuel instead of 2/3.

also, with 2/3 ounce of fuel total burn time without simmer ring 8 minutes 30 seconds.

now with perlite 2/3 ounce of fuel total burn time without simmer ring 10 minutes.

with simmer ring original total burn time 20 minutes, 47 seconds 2/3 ounce of fuel.

with simmer ring and perlite using 2/3 ounce of fuel total burn time 25 minutes, 14 seconds.

now my stoves aren't perfect, and i couldn't get close to the results of the original penny stove, but i can still boil two cups of water with 1/2 ounce of fuel, it just takes a little longer, and as many have said, "if you're in a hurry, why are you walking?"

yuppie_redneck
2008-01-14, 00:33
I have been playing with the Cat, penny, superV8, and many more for some time now. The trick with the penny has to do with the number and size of the holes you use. It also seems to relate to the amount of fuel you use in your stove and it's size.

Try making one with a 1/8 drill bit, 6 burner holes and use the same bit to drill 3 holes in the center for filling (that you cover with a penny before lighting).

With 1 oz isopropyl you can get to 4 min. Also be sure you don't have air leaks at your seams.

The can should be about 1.5 times the volume of alcohol you intend to burn. These stoves do not do will with larger volumes of alcohol though.

Other considerations include wind screen design (Sgt Rock has a good one, but I like my coffee can as it doubles as a wood stove.) My camps usually include at least one boy that forgets fuel, matches or stove. It feels good to send them out for fuel ;)