PDA

View Full Version : easy trail biscuits/bread/pancakes

JRiker
2008-01-13, 15:05
just recently i started messing around with the idea of using pancake mix as my bread while on the trail. i found that i could make pancakes as normal, stick biscuits (like the scouts do it), and bread. i just add water and i use my metal mug inside of my cooking pot with the lid on to make an oven. i usually use a wood fire for the bread and biscuit because it takes a while, and the coals are better than flame anyways. i just think it's easy because it's just add water.

anyone else have a simple way to make bread and biscuits, or a good recipe i haven't seen yet?

yuppie_redneck
2008-01-14, 10:25
If you are hoboing - coffee can brown bread is great. Not good for light packing though. If you want it I will look up the recipe.

JRiker
2008-01-14, 13:31
yuppie

first off i like the name, sometimes feel like one growing up in the sticks and now living in san diego. we used to call people from the cities "flatlanders" and now sometimes i feel like one.

getting back on topic. i do have a hobo stove (coffee can with holes in it) and i carry another large coffee can for storage and using as a big pot when cooking for groups. that recipe would be greatly appreciated, getting tired of eating the pancake biscuits made on a stick, they kind of tast like cornbread mixed with pancakes.

yuppie_redneck
2008-01-14, 17:38
Molasses, blackstrap molasses, treacle, and golden syrup are all by-products of sugar refining – and they essentially the same thing, the only variation, as they say, being in the details.

When sugar cane is crushed, the resulting juice is boiled several times to evaporate off the pure sugar which then crystallises. The liquid remaining from the first boiling – which is still very sweet – is what is called ‘Golden Syrup’ in Britain, or ‘Light Molasses’ in America. A second boiling produces a darker, more bitter but only slightly less sweet syrup called ‘treacle’ (or ‘black treacle’) in Britain and ‘molasses’ (or dark molasses) in America. A third boiling produces the very dark, bitter ‘blackstrap’ molasses beloved only of cattle and those enthusiasts who believe it a ‘health-food’.

Hence the blackstrap molasses has more flavor per weight than the other types, if you prefer to add a bit of sweetener powder you can still have the bread with an acceptable weight.

Your coffee can should have a lid so that it can "bake" I have found that using an alcohol stove on simmer bakes well, but you need to plan to bring extra tin foil to encompas the coffee can holding your bread to help heat it evenly.

To check and see if it is done - stick the proverbial fork in it.

As with most baking - it takes a while to cook - so I prefer wood fires to cook it over. That way fuel is not an issue. To bake - make a bed of coals and treat your covered coffee can like a dutch oven - only surround it with foil as well. You can put coals on top of your lid if you simply make a foil cap.

Both methods use the same ingredients - if it is just me I cut the recipe to 1/3.

If the bread burns you can still eat most of it - It tastes good too. More sugar tends to make it burn easier. One thing though - If you didn't grease the can, plan on getting another coffee can later. For small batches a non-lined soup can works well instead of a coffee can (One of the larger ones) But don't try to rush the cook time if you do so. Just reduce the heat a bit.

Rye meal, 1 cup
Corn meal, 1 cup
Finely ground oatmeal, 1 cup
Milk, 1½ cups
Soda, ¾ teaspoon
Salt, 1 teaspoon
Molasses, 1 cup
Baking powder, 2 teaspoons.

I like raisins in it too.

The dry ingredients (including powdered milk) can be kept in a baggie in your cooking coffee can. You need only make what you will eat on a given day.

Rye meal, 1 cup (You can substitute self rising flour but get rid of the salt and baking powder if you do - same with self rising corn meal.)
Corn meal, 1 cup
Finely ground oatmeal, 1 cup
Milk, 1½ cups
Soda, ¾ teaspoon
Salt, 1 teaspoon
Molasses, 1 cup
Baking powder, 2 teaspoons.

Mix and sift dry ingredients, add molasses and milk (dehydrated works for this), stir until well mixed, turn into a well-greased mold (I use cooking oil for this - and I use the paper towel I wipe the can with as fuel for my wood fire coffee can - One can for the bread nesting inside the fire can (slightly larger) works well - treat it like a dutch oven if you bake, and steam three and one-half hours (Full recipie - a 1/3 batch only takes 60-75 minutes - this may seem a long time - but on a rainy morning it's a great excuse to wait for sun. In the dark evening, why not have a fire to cook your bread - you shouldn't be hiking unfamiliar terrain in the dark anyway.) The cover should be greased before being placed on mold. The mold should never be filled more than two-thirds full. Place mold on a trivet (the top I cut off my pepsi can for my stove works for this - just drop it in your pot of water) in pot containing boiling water, allowing water to come half-way up around mold; cover closely and steam, adding as needed more boiling water.

Here is another recipe I found on the web - easily adapts to hiking. To be honest - I just mix whatever flours I have on hand (adding baking powder and salt if not self rising), powdered milk, molasses and nutrasweet - dump all but the molasses in the same baggie - the molasses goes in a rinsed out hand sanitizer bottle. (I use these for alcohol storage as well - did you know you can burn the sanitizer if you have to?) Just be careful not to get it mixed up with the one containing your Dr Bronner's soap!

Boston Brown BreadThe secret of this famous bread is that it's prepared in a coffee can, and instead of baking it, you steam it!

Serves: 8

Ingredients:

2/3 cup Carnation Nonfat Dry Milk Powder
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup dark molasses
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1/2 cup (3 ounces) yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon rye flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Boiling water
Directions:

Spray the inside of a 12-ounce coffee can with butter-flavored cooking spray.
In a small bowl, combine dry milk powder, water, molasses, and vinegar. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, whole-wheat flour, rye flour, baking soda, and salt. Add molasses-and-milk mixture. Mix gently to combine. Pour mixture into prepared coffee can.
Spray a piece of aluminum foil with butter-flavored cooking spray and cover the top of the can with the sprayed side down. Secure foil to can with string.
Place the coffee can in a deep saucepan. Pour boiling water down the sides of the pan until the water comes halfway up the side of the coffee can.
Simmer over low heat for 1 1/2 hours. Add additional boiling water as necessary to keep water level at halfway point of can.
Remove the coffee can from the saucepan and remove the foil. Test with a toothpick. If pick doesn't come out clean, re-cover coffee can and continue steaming for 5 more minutes or until it does come out clean.
Place coffee can on a wire rack and cool until the bread pulls away from the side of the can. Tap bread out of can and continue cooling on wire rack. Cut into 8 round slices.

Hope this helps.

-Brent

pure_mahem
2008-01-14, 21:02
Great recipes Brent!

JRiker
2008-01-19, 15:56
switched from a pot to 5 piece mess tin (wally world) so the metal mug doesn't fit inside anymore. didn't want to carry a bake tin. realized that i could use my heat reflector from under the stove to fold into a baking tin to make bread. works great. use the penny stove with simmer ring and it took me about 8 minutes for bread. mmmm, biscuits taste good with rabbit or snake in the morning.

clodbuster
2008-02-08, 16:49
Hi ya'll. this is my first post here. I just got interested in hiking for hiking's enjoyment. Always before it was incidental to hunting. Anyway, my suggestion for this kind of cooking is to use Reynold's Wrap RELEASE brand foil. It really doesn't stick unlike the regular stuff. Even jb weld won't stick to it and neither will a baking cake or loaf of bread. fI am wide open to rookine help suggestions on any aspect of hiking and am building my kit for this spring. I have alcohol and wood stoves of several styles built and tested but still looking for the other "hardware"