PDA

View Full Version : camp chair that doesn't add to pack weight

JRiker
2008-01-13, 23:25
easy simple idea for a camp chair that doesn't add to your pack weight at all.

take six strong sticks (at least 2 inches in diameter) make sure four of them have forks at the end. two will be a little bit longer than your back is wide (non forked). two others should be 4 to 5 feet long (forked) and the last 2should be 3 feet long or so. lash a short forked one and a long forked one together in a sort of skinny x. put 1 skinny x on each side. then lash the two shoulder width ones to the x's. one at your knees and the other where your shoulder's would be when you sit. then use your tarp grommets and stick the forks on the sticks through the grommets at your shoulder's and knees, and your set. word of advice, stick the feet of your chair a few inches into the ground for stability, and don't flop down into it (sore butt taught me a thing or two)

dropkick
2008-01-14, 03:07
I used to make camp chairs by lashing sticks to trees. (Now I just lie in my hammock).

I would find 2 trees that weren't too far apart, tie one stick across the front of them about 18 inches off the ground.
I would then tie another stick across the back of the trees about 4 inches higher.
Done (unless you want a back rest - add another stick).

I still use this design if I'm camping in an area for a long period of time and I want a pit toilet - just dig a slit trench under it.

Just made a quick sketch:

pure_mahem
2008-01-14, 15:55
Like your camp chair Dropkick. Great idea, a picture is worth a thousand words truly. Follows the KISS principle.

JRiker
2008-01-14, 19:21
tried to make an easy picture using paint, but the image was too big to post. can anyone help me with posting pictures and drawings? pretty new to this site. thanks in advance

yuppie_redneck
2008-01-15, 23:46
Just a thought here - but to lash - dont you need rope?> Doesn't that weigh something?

A camp chair that doesn't add weight to your pack = TREE.

For a quick morning "constitutional" I prefer the "tree hug and cover"

(If you can't figure it out you shouldn't be at this site)

pure_mahem
2008-01-16, 03:49
Your A Rude Mofo!

JAK
2008-01-16, 09:07
Too much yuppie. Not enough redneck.

SGT Rock
2008-01-16, 09:38
Just a thought here - but to lash - dont you need rope?> Doesn't that weigh something?

A camp chair that doesn't add weight to your pack = TREE.

For a quick morning "constitutional" I prefer the "tree hug and cover"

(If you can't figure it out you shouldn't be at this site)
I was thinking the same thing. I've been finding these trees all over the woods that work for leaning against. The other thing I've done is reclined on the hammock while the stove rolls next to me. If you have a hammock you have a chair and a couch.

dropkick
2008-01-17, 06:37
tried to make an easy picture using paint, but the image was too big to post. can anyone help me with posting pictures and drawings? pretty new to this site. thanks in advance

Paint wants to save your drawings as bitmaps, a large file. What you need to do is click "save as" and then save the picture as a jpeg.
-When the save as window pops up at the bottom it should say "save as type" pick jpeg and save.

JRiker
2008-01-17, 11:37
well blow me over and call me stupid. i knew that, i was just having a dumb spell that lasted about two days. thanks dropkick