PDA

View Full Version : The Killed Georgia Hiker

Hollowdweller
2008-01-15, 11:49
You guys been following this? The guy seems like a total fruit loop that did her in yet despite multiple run ins with law enforcement in areas where dead people were found nobody seems to have checked him out till this most recent episode.

GGS
2008-01-15, 12:20
I've followed news as I've seen it but I haven't seen any new articles for the last several days. Something new? Do you have a link to the article?

Hollowdweller
2008-01-15, 14:07
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/gwinnett/stories/2008/01/12/hilton_0113.html

Hollowdweller
2008-01-15, 14:08
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/gwinnett/stories/2008/01/15/hilton_0115.html?cxntlid=inform

Hollowdweller
2008-01-15, 14:09
http://tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080115/NEWS01/801150327

yuppie_redneck
2008-01-15, 14:58
I take scouts out all the time, this guy did, in fact pass through one of our camps with his little dog too! (poor manners trudging through someone else's camp without asking)

I've always been a wee bit distrustful of you yankees though* - so I put tripwires tied to alarms around the boys when we camp. (It also helps me keep up with them when they decide to get rambunctios.

This guy evaded my tripwire. Nonetheless, a simple warning to "be mindful of my tripwire" usually garners the boys some quality time to practice their scouting skills.

Anyway, my point is this - we are in a world surrounded by people we have no way of understanding, and cannot know at any given moment whether they wish us good or ill. Then we pull out of our driveway and things get really scary. Just because you are alone with a stranger does not make you safe. Anyone ever heard the parable about the freezing sparrow that falls in a pile of dung? There are cats everywhere - and to some of them YOU are the sparrow.

I teach the boys the buddy system, because it is the Boy Scout way. I teach them to BE PREPARED as well. These are valuable techniques we should all employ. I know this goes against the grain for the nomads, hermits, and recluses out there. We want to feel safe wherever we are. Just make sure you are prepared to defend what you find valuable with more vigor than anyone you encounter is willing to exert to take it. Either that or get right with God - you could be seeing Him soon.

*were I of other than appalacian american and american indian descent, I might refer to the risks of hiking in the south without a banjo instead of picking on you northerners.

GGS
2008-01-15, 15:18
Wow. What a wierdo.

Hollowdweller
2008-01-15, 17:04
I take scouts out all the time, this guy did, in fact pass through one of our camps with his little dog too! (poor manners trudging through someone else's camp without asking)

I've always been a wee bit distrustful of you yankees though* - so I put tripwires tied to alarms around the boys when we camp. (It also helps me keep up with them when they decide to get rambunctios.

This guy evaded my tripwire. Nonetheless, a simple warning to "be mindful of my tripwire" usually garners the boys some quality time to practice their scouting skills.

Anyway, my point is this - we are in a world surrounded by people we have no way of understanding, and cannot know at any given moment whether they wish us good or ill. Then we pull out of our driveway and things get really scary. Just because you are alone with a stranger does not make you safe. Anyone ever heard the parable about the freezing sparrow that falls in a pile of dung? There are cats everywhere - and to some of them YOU are the sparrow.

I teach the boys the buddy system, because it is the Boy Scout way. I teach them to BE PREPARED as well. These are valuable techniques we should all employ. I know this goes against the grain for the nomads, hermits, and recluses out there. We want to feel safe wherever we are. Just make sure you are prepared to defend what you find valuable with more vigor than anyone you encounter is willing to exert to take it. Either that or get right with God - you could be seeing Him soon.

*were I of other than appalacian american and american indian descent, I might refer to the risks of hiking in the south without a banjo instead of picking on you northerners.

Actually I'm an Apploamerican myself (WV)

Nearly Normal
2008-01-21, 08:03
"I've always been a wee bit distrustful of you yankees though* - so I put tripwires tied to alarms around the boys when we camp."

WOW
:adore:

Amigi
2008-01-21, 20:16
"we are in a world surrounded by people we have no way of understanding, and cannot know at any given moment whether they wish us good or ill"

Wow.

It's called psychology, and it works very well, if you know how to use it and to understand what you see. The best interrogators I ever saw in my former life, never needed waterboarding, white noise, or torture to get the info they wanted, just time. I can get more out of someone in the first 30 secs I meet them, then I will in the next two years I know them, if I apply what I know.

yuppie_redneck
2008-01-22, 00:12
"we are in a world surrounded by people we have no way of understanding, and cannot know at any given moment whether they wish us good or ill"

Wow.

It's called psychology, and it works very well, if you know how to use it and to understand what you see. The best interrogators I ever saw in my former life, never needed waterboarding, white noise, or torture to get the info they wanted, just time. I can get more out of someone in the first 30 secs I meet them, then I will in the next two years I know them, if I apply what I know.

Show me a psychologist that knows what a woman is thinking, and I will show you a SERIOUSLY DELUDED individual.

john pickett
2008-01-22, 17:27
YR,
What if the psychologist Is a woman?
john pickett

dropkick
2008-01-23, 00:20
Show me a psychologist that knows what a woman is thinking, and I will show you a SERIOUSLY DELUDED individual.

YR,
What if the psychologist Is a woman?
john pickett

Actually that kind of fits what he said also.
Now if you substitute "periodically psychotic" for "seriously deluded" it's a perfect match.

psy·chot·ic (s-ktk)
adj.
Of, relating to, or affected by psychosis.

psychosis (sī-kō'sĭs)
noun
Plural psychoses (sī-kō'sēz)
A mental state ...... characterized by a loss of contact with reality and an inability to think rationally.

:ahhhhh: :ahhhhh: :ahhhhh: