PDA

View Full Version : It's close to official

SGT Rock
2008-01-24, 18:18
Today I signed the DD214. All those years of service, awards, field exercises, late nights getting drunk soldiers out of jail, getting blown up, getting shot at, being the drunk, bleeding, sweating, freezing, and the thousands of other experiences over the last 22-1/2 years distilled down to a single page of information.

It just doesn't seem right.

So tonight I'm home having a home cooked meal and toasting my comrads from the past, present, and to the youngsters of the future that will keep those traditions going. But most of all to the fallen comrads.

Toujor Pret.

chezrad
2008-01-24, 18:52
Let me be the first to congratulate you on a job well done. Your service is greatly appreciated by those of us who went before you. You carried on the tradition and for that we thank you. Remember that you are a hero. Even though you don't feel like one. You took the challenge and heeded the call and kept us safe at night. Your service allowed me to start a family and raise my kids in the greatest country in the world without threats that are so common.

I will start out by hoisting one for you this evening. I will end with a tear in my eye hoisting one for those that gave more.

SGT Rock
2008-01-24, 19:48
Thanks man, I'm tipping some Makers Mark back at ya'

fin24000
2008-01-24, 19:59
Congratulations!, And thank you for your service!

peter_pan
2008-01-24, 21:51
You will always be a Vet..... Thanks for completing the mission.... Now "Fall In", with the rest of us route steppin retirees .... Hike and have fun.

Pan

GGS
2008-01-25, 01:08
Let me be the first to congratulate you on a job well done. Your service is greatly appreciated by those of us who went before you. You carried on the tradition and for that we thank you. Remember that you are a hero. Even though you don't feel like one. You took the challenge and heeded the call and kept us safe at night. Your service allowed me to start a family and raise my kids in the greatest country in the world without threats that are so common.

I will start out by hoisting one for you this evening. I will end with a tear in my eye hoisting one for those that gave more.

Expressed my thoughts exactly. Here's to you, Sgt. Rock! :beer:

john pickett
2008-01-25, 02:09
UURAH!:adore:
from this squid.
john pickett

Gray Blazer
2008-01-25, 07:40
Thanks for your service to our country and for being a great all around guy!!

Amigi
2008-01-25, 11:09
:beerglass :beer: :cheers: :rock:

Congrats, amigo. I'll drink a beer to you tonight.

SGT Rock
2008-01-25, 12:41
I'm not short anymore - I'm gone. I turned in my keys and cleaned out my office this morning. Now the uniform is hung up and the beard is growing.

d'shadow
2008-01-25, 13:26
SGt Rock, Congradulations and welcome to our world. You will always have the knowledge of knowing that you have done something worthy with you life.
In service to our country and protecting our rights and freedoms, thank you.
think of all the new experiences and adventures that await you! Very cool.
Enjoy, be and hike your hike, I will be rooting for you all the way.

JPW
2008-01-25, 15:21
Congrats Sarge! Hope to see ya on the trail someday.It takes awile to adjust,your hike will help with that.Have fun!

SGT Rock
2008-01-25, 15:41
I just saw on my guestbook over at TrailJounrals that Furlough got his retirment approved. Excellent.

Scout
2008-01-25, 15:51
Rock - you did a great thing my man.

Your years of service, although represented on just a few pages of paper, mean something so much to so many! Thank you for all the commitment and hardtimes that you and your family endured. Its because of people like you that this country is so great! :beer: Just tipped back a few Dunkel's from the Brauhaus Kastel in Mainz Kastel, Germany.

Thanks Rock! I'm close on your heels!

SGT Rock
2008-01-25, 15:54
Back at you Scout. Your time will come!

JAK
2008-01-25, 15:56
Rock on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1V3JW4HeBs

SGT Rock
2008-01-25, 16:00
That is pretty cool JAK.

SGT Rock
2008-01-25, 16:17
Hey JAK, I started listening to some of his other stuff. I never heard of Corb Lund before but I have to admit I like some of that.

DixieChick
2008-01-25, 17:39
As Rocks Daughter first i wanna say congrats then i wanna say ITS ABOUT TIME!!!! LOL. Love you dad. and thx for the time you did serve.

Tipi Walter
2008-01-25, 17:54
I worked at a Episcopal church for 18 years and though certainly not in the same category as your level of experience and responsibility, I did "fit in" and was known by all as the caretaker for the small building and a couple of acres of land. Did I say everyone knew me?

Well, when I quit and came to Tennessee I went thru a period of adjustment and shock, as if I let the church down or abandoned a good gig. It's crazy, but I had many dreams of being back at the church and back in the old saddle where I fit. That was in 2001, ancient history, but I can understand how difficult a change in jobs can be. Part of it was seeing how quickly they went on with their lives without me.

Amigi
2008-01-25, 17:56
Dang, DixieChick's post brought a tear to my eye. Heck of a family there, Rock.

SGT Rock
2008-01-25, 18:34
Yea, she is a good one. And I hear that her husband just got out of Iraq and will be visiting her on leave very soon. Congradulations sweetheart on getting him back in one piece.

MalTheElder
2008-01-25, 20:47
Here's to ya, Top! :beer: Thanks for the years you put in, and congrats on making it through with your hide intact. May all the other make it home safe as well.

Coelis Imperamus,
Mal

Thudley
2008-01-26, 11:11
Welcome to the Club, Sarge!

Retirement brings up lots of memories, as you pointed out in your post. I sure had mixed feelings at my own signing. You're point blank correct on that too...a whole career summerized on a single sheet of paper. Just doesn't seem to cover it. However, your fellow Club members know and appreciate all that went into creating the entries on that DD214.

Unlike many at retirement, you have set out a new goal and are enthusiastically pursuing it. That's the best plan i could recommend.

Congrats, Brother...and see you on the trails...:beer:

Ed

CrazyButcher
2008-01-26, 17:42
so no longer any of this (those were actually done by our very host, about 9 years ago)
http://www-e.uni-magdeburg.de/kubisch/anims/nostalgia/sgtrock.jpg

but more of that
http://crazybutcher.cottages.polycount.com/wip/photos/IMG_0016.jpg

I am glad you made it thru Rock!
And eventhough it's not my nation, and I couldnt disagree more with how wrong things went in the last years, thanks for your work, I have a lot of respect for your choice, doing your risky job, for whomever is elected, is a honorable gesture to democracy, and I am sure you always did things in a John Wayne/George Pepperd honest way :) and as you are much younger than those were in their heights, you still gotta plenty ventures to take on... e.g. Bavarian Forrest, and not for the beer, well not only ;) although hiking here would be like jogging to you...

Anyway congratulations

freefall
2008-01-28, 05:59
May not be original but:

Our Father. O Lord be with Our Soldiers as they leave their homes and their families to serve our nation. Guide them as they plant the seeds of peace, for these are the seeds that will forever keep America, the land of the free and the home of the brave. Bless them O Lord, and Bless their Families, for they are the heroes of American Freedom. Their sacrifice for us will not be forgotten.

Amen.

Thank you for all your years of service, keeping America safe! Glad you made it home.

Nightwalker
2008-01-28, 12:58
I'm not short anymore - I'm gone. I turned in my keys and cleaned out my office this morning. Now the uniform is hung up and the beard is growing.

Well, you're still pretty short, but it must be nice to be able to buy clothes in the Young Men's section of Wal-Mart. :D

Have a great hike, civilian!

UK_Ian
2008-01-29, 10:36
Just remember it is not always the destination which makes it fun, its the journey getting there. I'm 22 yrs in the British Army and still loving it. Well done!

Jim Henderson
2008-01-29, 11:29
Attaboy Sarge!. And very cliche but sincere, Thankyou for your service.

It's guys like you who allow weenies like me to live without fearing what might happen next and not worry about my kids growing up to be stupicide bombers. Too bad more of our people don't understand just how different much of the rest of the world is.

Thanks much and now let the fun begin.

Jim Henderson

SGT Rock
2008-01-31, 08:05
I am glad you made it thru Rock!
And eventhough it's not my nation, and I couldnt disagree more with how wrong things went in the last years, thanks for your work, I have a lot of respect for your choice, doing your risky job, for whomever is elected, is a honorable gesture to democracy, and I am sure you always did things in a John Wayne/George Pepperd honest way :) and as you are much younger than those were in their heights, you still gotta plenty ventures to take on... e.g. Bavarian Forrest, and not for the beer, well not only ;) although hiking here would be like jogging to you...

Anyway congratulations
Hey CB - I was thinking about you just the otherr day. This isn't Bavaria but it sometimes feels like it. Glad to see you posting around here. I hope your life is going well.

festgeo42
2008-02-02, 17:55
Congratulations First Sergeant. Thank you for your service.

madtanker
2008-02-05, 19:20
I know what ya mean when ya say a piece of paper shows 22 1/2 years of your life. I just retired as a fulltime technician from the Massachusetts Army National Guard. I had 37 years working for them. I am in my 38th year in the Guard. I have 2 deployments to OIF behind me. I sit and sip a glass of wine and I to think of all who have come before us, our follen comrades, and the next generation that will preserve our way of life.

As one Top to another Top, all I can say is thank you for your service and dedication for our great country. Have a great thru hike. Who knows, maybe we will meet on the trail some day.

Madtanker

madtanker
2008-02-05, 19:22
I know what ya mean when ya say a piece of paper shows 22 1/2 years of your life. I just retired as a fulltime technician from the Massachusetts Army National Guard. I had 37 years working for them. I am in my 38th year in the Guard. I have 2 deployments to OIF behind me. I sit and sip a glass of wine and I too think of all who have come before us, our fallen comrades, and the next generation that will preserve our way of life.

As one Top to another Top, all I can say is thank you for your service and dedication for our great country. Have a great thru hike. Who knows, maybe we will meet on the trail some day.

Madtanker

Rosaleen
2008-02-07, 18:17
Hey, Madtanker!
Where in MA are you? I'm about 2/3 the way between Boston and Worcester. Nice to see another person from the area on this forum. Let's compare notes on trails. We may be able to help each other get some point to point hiking done.

Rosaleen

Yukon
2008-04-15, 14:33
Thanks man, I'm tipping some Makers Mark back at ya'

Maker's mark, now there's a good whiskey and a man with good taste!