PDA

View Full Version : making an underpad,

samhain
2008-01-26, 18:52
hey gang,

has anyone tried using tyvek in the construction of an underpad for their hammock?

I was brainstorming some ideas and the thought of a tyvek/reflectix sandwich cut to the shape of my HH came to mind.

I've read the different posts on closed cell foam pads vs bubble wrap and the price was right for the reflectix (also going to see if I can make a pot cozy out of it as well).

any thoughts???

peace,
samhain.

dropkick
2008-01-27, 01:33
I've used reflectix for building a cozy and it works very well.
-Sometimes I actually wish it didn't work as well as it does, as my pot usually just stays in the cozy while I eat from it and it takes a loooong time to cool to eating temperature.

Haven't used as an underpad in my hammock though I've heard of many people who have. My understanding is that it works well.

However, while I don't know this for sure, I believe that most of the people who have used it ended up changing over to a closed cell underpad or a bottom quilt.
I don't know why they did this - durability? comfort? noise? Just an urge to upgrade???

There are lots of posts about underpads and cozies if you do a search.

Seeker
2008-02-28, 20:47
before i spent the $$ for a JRB underquilt, i just used a wide blue foam pad. i added a couple 'wings' to it (plans are on here somewhere-it was Rock's idea) with duct tape, and it worked great. a pad was a pain to keep on top of, but it worked fine. i should add that it was a hennessy hammock, not a top loader.

i made my daughter a silnylon hammock to see what she thought of hammocking, and built it with two layers of silnylon on the bottom. i could just slide the pad between them and there was no sliding issue.