PDA

View Full Version : favorite stove?

JRiker
2008-02-15, 15:03
all right so here goes:

was wondering what type of stoves everyone uses. i know a lot of us make and use alcohol stoves. i myself prefer a wood fire and use the alcohol only as a backup or where wood fires aren't allowed (pretty normal here on the west coast). i have made and used a lot of types of alcohol stoves, and i'm trying to figure out what everyone else likes, and why. so if you would just post what you use and what you like about it. or if you want to mention some stoves you've tried and hate, that's welcome too. thanks guys... (and gals)

mountain squid
2008-02-15, 16:22
I built an alcohol stove without great success (it worked but not well). Since I also needed other 'kitchen gear', I decided to go with Tin Man's stove from antigravity gear (http://antigravitygear.com/proddetail.php?prod=AGALBC) and get everything else I needed at the same time. I've had it for about 4 years now and it still works great.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

warraghiyagey
2008-02-15, 18:35
Pepsi can stove. Very light. Hasn't failed me yet.

oops56
2008-02-15, 20:49
My borde a 123 - 8r -my 111"s Then my alcochol stoves. got so dam many.

Check this out
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/stoves%202/th_lipsticknew.jpg (http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/stoves%202/?action=view&current=lipsticknew.flv)

CaSteve
2008-02-15, 23:10
Depending on what I plan to cook, I carry one or more of these:

pepsi can style alcohol stove
brasslite alcohol stove
Kelly Kettle (1 pint version) - this thing is great!
Coleman Exponent Powermax stove

oops56
2008-02-15, 23:26
Here is my kelly kettle set up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBSZDZuXFO4

CaSteve
2008-02-16, 00:03
Here is my kelly kettle set up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBSZDZuXFO4

Great idea!

dropkick
2008-02-16, 00:36
I have a Pepsi can stove (most use)
A Turm Sport alcohol stove (usually only use when car camping anymore)
A Sierra wood stove (take when I can use it and don't wish to pack alcohol)

When it's not to much trouble and not fire season I have an open fire - Have to be near water though and not in a hurry in the morning as I completely quench and stir before leaving.
(exception: winter in snow - I'll sometimes leave a fire smoldering)

Neat video Oops

oops56
2008-02-16, 00:47
I have a Pepsi can stove (most use)
A Turm Sport alcohol stove (usually only use when car camping anymore)
A Sierra wood stove (take when I can use it and don't wish to pack alcohol)

When it's not to much trouble and not fire season I have an open fire - Have to be near water though and not in a hurry in the morning as I completely quench and stir before leaving.
(exception: winter in snow - I'll sometimes leave a fire smoldering)

Neat video Oops
That turm sport was my first stove 38 or so year ago new i now have 5

Amigi
2008-02-16, 11:38
I have stopped almost all alchie stove usage now. I am just happy with my Peak 1 when not bagging it, or the newest generation of Jet Boil when I do freezer bag.

Numerous reasons, but here in Fl, it's very easy to find 80/20 propane cans than it is to find denat in hiker friendly quantities. Plus, both are so fast at cooking that I dont have to "plan" my stops based on rain or darkness.

Seeker
2008-02-28, 20:21
depends on the trip and what i'm cooking.

solo hike-SuperCat or Ion. SuperCat is completely idiotproof, so i can't screw it up, and don't have to remember a pot stand. The Ion is small, efficient, and light, but needs a pot stand.

hike with daughter-MSR Simmerlite. I generally have to do a little more fancy cooking, and need more hot water for cleanup/ soup/ cocoa or whatever than i would if i were alone.

KLeth
2008-02-29, 01:46
Long hikes: Primus Omnifuel, reliable, efficient and multifuel.
Day hikes: Primus Technotrail or similar LBP stove elsewise Optimus Svea 123 for less packspace.

UK_Ian
2008-02-29, 07:14
Alcohol stoves? Well I have learnt something new.

We brits have other uses for alcohol but I am willing to try anything.

Thanks to Google I will now be playing with cans and alcohol all weekend.

You americans come up with some good ideas sometimes.:beer:

BEAMarshall
2008-02-29, 07:24
And if you can face up to actually drinking a canned beer, the empty cans make decent lightweight pots for heating water. Just trying to help! Betsy

Iceman
2008-02-29, 21:26
For anything solo, I still use the Esbit stuff. Multi hikers/hunters Brunton Optimus. Winter stuff/Trangia.

Amigi
2008-03-02, 09:44
Where u been Iceman?

Rosaleen
2008-03-02, 10:47
And if you can face up to actually drinking a canned beer, the empty cans make decent lightweight pots for heating water. Just trying to help! Betsy

Hey, Betsy-

I have a hubby and 3 grown sons, so getting someone to "face" drinking a canned beer is no problem. Then there are alternate uses for beer: Beer-battered fried fish or whatever, beer bread, beer pizza dough.

No problems!

Rosaleen

Iceman
2008-03-02, 11:46
Where u been Iceman?

Yeah, I have been out of touch here a bit. With the hunting season, looking for property to build on, work, kids, etc... been very busy this winter, even had to put my beloved dog of +18years down last week. We did get out for a great snowshoe journey recently, maybe I will post some 10foot deep snow pics for you folks who get none... :biggrin:

Rosaleen
2008-03-02, 12:29
Iceman-

Busy can be good. It is always worthwhile to spend time with one's kids.

Sorry to hear that you lost your long time doggie-pal. Even the inevitable hurts when it arrives.

Regards,

Rosaleen

UK_Ian
2008-03-02, 14:23
What fun I have had!

Had a problem with the fuel. Beer doesn't burn too well so drank it!

White spirit makes too much smoke in the kitchen (wife not happy!) :afraid:

Meths worked best. Made the holes too big to start.

But finally it happend and I had created an 'Alcohol Stove' Masterpiece.

Then it melted! :bawling: