PDA

View Full Version : quest for the ultimate backpack...

JRiker
2008-02-17, 01:18
Like many of you, I'm constantly trying to improve my gear list. over the years the one thing that seems to constantly bother me is the lack of the "perfect" backpack. here's what i'm looking for:

must be camo (i'm just weird like that, i hate all the colors of modern backpacks)
must be light (somewhere between two and four pounds)
must be able to carry 40-50 pounds comfortably (this is an extreme over-exaggeration, but i carry 25-30 pounds base pack weight and do go desert hiking, so i might need to carry extra water)
needs side pockets (i like to compartmentalize sometimes)
needs mesh pockets (no explanation needed)
needs pack cover
needs a sleeping back compartment
must be internal frame
and again, must be camo!

ANY SUGGESTIONS? (please include websites, i can't go to a store right now as i'm forward deployed, well maybe i can get the wife to go...)

oops56
2008-02-17, 04:02
Oh man never send a wife to the store get somthig like that she end up getting 2 cause it was on sale.She will say the money i saved on the sale got one more.

SGT Rock
2008-02-17, 10:48
Sounds like you may need to take up sewing.

blackdog
2008-02-17, 11:53
Like many of you, I'm constantly trying to improve my gear list. over the years the one thing that seems to constantly bother me is the lack of the "perfect" backpack. here's what i'm looking for:
:
ANY SUGGESTIONS? (please include websites, i can't go to a store right now as i'm forward deployed, well maybe i can get the wife to go...)

Have a look at SGT Rock's Gearskin review (http://hikinghq.net/gear/moonbow_gearskin.html).

JRiker
2008-02-17, 19:41
i'm considering taking up sewing, most mods to gear i've done have always involved duct tape and been out of necessity rather than preference. i saw the gearskin review... actually thought about making something similar just to try it out. i don't think they make the perfect backpack. i might just buy a kelty, they have a camo line, and see about modifying it. i just don't like to spend that much on a backpack, especially if i'm going to spend my time modifying it.

JRiker
2008-02-17, 19:47
any of you other military guys have any experience with these?

http://imsplus.com/ims4a.html

SGT Rock
2008-02-17, 22:14
I have never seen or used one.

Take-a-knee
2008-02-25, 00:21
any of you other military guys have any experience with these?

http://imsplus.com/ims4a.html

We were issued those for a while, not too many guys liked them. I think they were made under contract from LOWE packs patents, they had this plastic track on the back to adjust the length of the suspension (in the army, one size fits all), it broke frequently, though that may have more to do with knucklehead GI's than the pack. The pack has two pieces of aluminum flat bar that serve as a frame, they go into loops on the back of the hip belt and are retained in a sleeve that has a snap at the top of the pack, if the snap comes undone, the waistbelt falls off, it also has a lumbar pad that velcro's in place and can fall off. The first time we jumped them (though they were not approved for airborne ops) several guys lost the hip belt and lumbar pad, they were left with basically a big duffel bag. Something like the early Lowe Expedition in coyote brown 500wt cordura would be the perfect GI pack. Camo is a bit foolish for packs, just make it earth toned and carry a cover/ghillie. Kifaru has a line of packs that would be similar but they ain't cheap.

ALL of the gear I use for hiking currently (not including food, water,fuel) only weighs about 7lb (3Kg) more than that pack empty.