PDA

View Full Version : Falcon Guide for Continental Divide

dropkick
2008-02-17, 02:17
Stopped off at the thrift store today and found a copy of Best Hikes along the Continental Divide - A Falcon guide.

It's pretty new.
Published 1998.

Looks a little skimpy for covering the whole of the Continental Divide.
Only 210 pages.

I'll give it a try and report on it.

If nothing else I can have the fun of leaving it lying around, and then saying things like "Where's my Falcon book? Anyone seen that Falcon book? There's that Falcon book. You want to hand me that Falcon book."

--If can't amuse others at least try too amuse yourself.

dropkick
2008-02-24, 01:08
Disclaimer: My review is mostly centered around the Montana portion of the book as this is where I live and the area I know.

Montana has 760 miles of Divide in it (2nd only to Colorado) yet they only cover 11 widely spread trails in Montana, this seems kind of skimpy to me.
They ignore entire mountain ranges, and the trails covered are those that are fairly well traveled.

Alberta Canada 11 hikes covered
Montana 11 hikes covered
Wyoming 18 hikes covered
Colorado 12 hikes covered
New Mexico 10 hikes covered

-In a non-hiking guide way, this is a plus for me, as I prefer to hike in solitude and the more published about the trails the more people I'd run into.

The hikes that are in the book are well documented and fairly well mapped.

If I was a visitor to the state(s) and using the book I would probably like it and be satisfied with it.

Personal view: As a resident of one of the states in the book, for me the book is fairly useless, as it only shows a few trails and I either already know the hike, or have no interest in it. Plus as I said above I'm happier on the less used trails.
-However I'll probably keep the book (at least for a while) in the off chance that I might go to Alberta or New Mexico.

Onkel Bob
2008-02-24, 19:23
IMO, Falcon Guides are OK, but never really match the insightful quality of a Sierra Club guide or AMC one for the east coast.
I used a Falcon Guide for Big Bend NP and found it was just too thin of specifics. (Desert hiking requires almost current information for water availability.) I also own one for the Sierra Nevada and it's discussion is so general that it is all but useless. Mind you, the PCT guide also falls in that category. The latter's usefulness is that it provides zip codes and post office information.
That said, nothing beats a personal trail journal. On each trip I keep a time and temperature log. In this way I know how long it took me travel between points and what the weather was on any given day. Since I have a habit of returning to certain long distance hikes, knowing that a better site is just a mile further down the trail is absolutely invaluable. Sometimes when t'storms are beating on me the entries get a bit vague, but in most cases I'm consistent. I also record water sources and campsites on some trails.