PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee trails?

Frolicking Dino
2008-02-22, 21:53
Where do we post about Tennessee trails? There doesn't seem to be a forum.

dixicritter
2008-02-23, 12:56
Forum added. :)

http://hikinghq.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=114

warraghiyagey
2008-02-23, 12:59
Sweet!! Now we can talk about TENNESSEE Trails. What a great day. I'm just so thrilled I don't even know what to do with myself. OK. Whew. Got that out of my system. So, other than that I have absolutely nothing to offer.:angel:

Frolicking Dino
2008-02-23, 16:12
::: Dino makes evil plan to take Warraghy out on stone steps in Obed River area and lose him :D :::

Bearpaw
2008-06-30, 23:16
::: Dino makes evil plan to take Warraghy out on stone steps in Obed River area and lose him :D :::

You know, I helped build some of those steps. They call that section "Trail of 1000 steps", but actually there's only about 760..... :confused2

Frolicking Dino
2008-07-01, 00:43
Do you know Monty Matney? He's the rock guy on the Cumberland Trail.

enviro
2008-07-01, 11:02
You know, I helped build some of those steps. They call that section "Trail of 1000 steps", but actually there's only about 760..... :confused2

So then why don't they call it the trail of 760 steps?

I'm just askin. :albertein

Met Mowgli for dinner here in Nashvegas last night and he was talking about the Cumberland Trail. I've been intrigued by this trail for some time now and go to the website trying to figure out what is finished and what isn't. I need to get back with him, but he was saying something about a 35 mile very nice stretch in the Chattanooga area that was finished. Any ideas for a good weekend trip?

Frolicking Dino
2008-07-01, 11:15
Envirodiver, I PM'ed you the email of someone who knows that trail well.

enviro
2008-07-01, 11:22
Envirodiver, I PM'ed you the email of someone who knows that trail well.

Got it. Thanks PM returned.

mowgli
2008-07-01, 17:20
Envirodiver:

It's the Rock (http://www.cumberlandtrail.org/rock.html), Possum (http://www.cumberlandtrail.org/possum.html)and Soddy (http://www.cumberlandtrail.org/soddy.html)Gorges I was referring to last night. There are 35 miles of trail to explore there.

PS: Nice to meet you.

mowgli
2008-07-01, 17:27
I have wanted to hike the 17 mile long Fiery Gizzard Trail loated in Soutrh Cumberland SP for a while. It's linear, so it requires a car shuttle.

http://www.friendsofscsra.org/parkmap.htm

Tha Wookie raves about the Honey Creek Loop in Big South Fork. My next trip to BSF will be my first. Anyone done that trail?

enviro
2008-07-01, 17:45
Envirodiver:

It's the Rock (http://www.cumberlandtrail.org/rock.html), Possum (http://www.cumberlandtrail.org/possum.html)and Soddy (http://www.cumberlandtrail.org/soddy.html)Gorges I was referring to last night. There are 35 miles of trail to explore there.

PS: Nice to meet you.

Thanks Mowgli, I didn't remember the names. Nice to meet you also, I hope we can walk sometime. Keep me informed about your maintenance projects.

Frolicking Dino
2008-07-01, 17:47
Honey creek loop is fantastic.

Fiery Gizzard is no slouch either.

enviro
2008-07-01, 17:49
I have wanted to hike the 17 mile long Fiery Gizzard Trail loated in Soutrh Cumberland SP for a while. It's liner, so it requires a car shuttle.

http://www.friendsofscsra.org/parkmap.htm

Tha Wookie raves about the Honey Creek Loop in Big South Fork. My next trip to BSF will be my first. Anyone done that trail?

Fiery Gizard section that Ihave done is very nice. I've just done the portion to Raven Point and back on the dog loop trail. But you're right a car shuttle is needed for the entire thing.

I've hiked a bunch of BSF trails but not Honey Creek Loop. people rave about it. I've been told it's a day hike only trail though. No place to tent. Might could hammock on it.

mowgli
2008-07-01, 18:01
Thanks Mowgli, I didn't remember the names. Nice to meet you also, I hope we can walk sometime. Keep me informed about your maintenance projects.

Sounds like a plan. If you need a shuttle on the CT, let me know. I could probably help you out. I can't really break away for 3 days for a while, and when I do, it will be to finish the Benton MacKaye Trail (BMT). I'm close to finishing (less than 40 miles). But no cigar (yet).

Speaking of Tennessee, the BMT in Tennessee is great. I maintain a 4 mile section of the BMT near the Tellico (Brookshire Creek Trail). Maybe we can have a weekend outing sometime. That's not a 1 day trip. And I need some help. Especially with the bit of tread work that is needed.

enviro
2008-07-01, 18:19
Sounds like a plan. If you need a shuttle on the CT, let me know. I could probably help you out. I can't really break away for 3 days for a while, and when I do, it will be to finish the Benton MacKaye Trail (BMT). I'm close to finishing (less than 40 miles). But no cigar (yet).

Speaking of Tennessee, the BMT in Tennessee is great. I maintain a 4 mile section of the BMT near the Tellico (Brookshire Creek Trail). Maybe we can have a weekend outing sometime. That's not a 1 day trip. And I need some help. Especially with the bit of tread work that is needed.

That sounds good. A shovel seems to fit my hands pretty well, at least it did when I was doing landscaping for a living. I like the BMT, really enjoyed my section last fall. Would a weekend get it done?

mowgli
2008-07-01, 18:28
That sounds good. A shovel seems to fit my hands pretty well, at least it did when I was doing landscaping for a living. I like the BMT, really enjoyed my section last fall. Would a weekend get it done?

If we could get a half dozen folks, we'd leave that section in pretty good shape. I spent a day lopping the upper 2 miles with 4 other folks in May. The tread hasn't been worked on in years or so it seems, and since horses ride the trail, it needs some work here and there. Nothing real major. Just reshaping the slope, armoring some muddy spots, fixing drainage, and widening the trail in places.

Maybe I can come up with some dates.

enviro
2008-07-01, 18:34
If we could get a half dozen folks, we'd leave that section in pretty good shape. I spent a day lopping the upper 2 miles with 4 other folks in May. The tread hasn't been worked on in years or so it seems, and since horses ride the trail, it needs some work here and there. Nothing real major. Just reshaping the slope, armoring some muddy spots, fixing drainage, and widening the trail in places.

Maybe I can come up with some dates.

As the official maintainer, I guess it's your responsibility to furnish the after work cocktails right? :beer:

mowgli
2008-07-01, 18:43
As the official maintainer, I guess it's your responsibility to furnish the after work cocktails right? :beer:

I did that on National Trails Day. I was expecting 20+ volunteers, and we got about 12. I had flagged enough work for 25-30 folks, or so I thought. I challenged the folks to finish, and I would buy the beer.

I bought the beer afterward. :beer:

So yes, I will provide beer, if others carry it in. :biggrin: No ice needed. Brookshire Creek will provide. I'll even carry out the empties.

enviro
2008-07-01, 18:47
I did that on National Trails Day. I was expecting 20+ volunteers, and we got about 12. I had flagged enough work for 25-30 folks, or so I thought. I challenged the folks to finish, and I would buy the beer.

I bought the beer afterward. :beer:

So yes, I will provide beer, if others carry it in. :biggrin: No ice needed. Brookshire Creek will provide. I'll even carry out the empties.

Fair enough. Dehydrated beer would work great.

Bearpaw
2008-07-10, 01:25
Do you know Monty Matney? He's the rock guy on the Cumberland Trail.

Yeah, Monty has shown me a fair bit about rock work. I get tasked with it a lot because I'm a big guy and there's just not a lot of room for multiple people to move an 800 pound rock. (The correct answer is leverage with rock bars and/or mattock BTW) But one of the best rock workers I know with CTC is Sandy Spearman. She accomplishes great things with pure technique.

Bearpaw
2008-07-10, 01:26
So then why don't they call it the trail of 760 steps?

I'm just askin. :albertein

Hmph...

Some poet you are. :aetsch:

Frolicking Dino
2008-07-11, 08:59
Yeah, Monty has shown me a fair bit about rock work. I get tasked with it a lot because I'm a big guy and there's just not a lot of room for multiple people to move an 800 pound rock. (The correct answer is leverage with rock bars and/or mattock BTW) But one of the best rock workers I know with CTC is Sandy Spearman. She accomplishes great things with pure technique.I've heard of her, but never gotten the chance to work with her. Obviously, this Dino with it's bum leg isn't your classic stone worker. I mostly do water bars and some smaller stacked-stone work these days.

BearPaw, do you know a big guy named Rick - a pharmacist from the Chattanooga area? He used to do a lot of rock and bridge work. He's my brother.

Bearpaw
2008-07-11, 10:18
For a minute, I thought you meant Rob, who was the director from '97 to '04, who is also a pharmacist from Chattanooga. But I'm scratching my head thinking of "Rick who?"

I was most active from 2000-2005, with only occasional work since. If you had a pic of Rick, it would help jar my memory.

enviro
2008-07-15, 21:55
Bearpaw you and SWS should join up with us August 17 and 18 for a trail work trip w/ Mowgli on the BMT. Sounds pretty relaxed and I'm planing to start a couple of days north and hike to them. May meet up w/ Tipi Walter for the hike. I'd like to walk w/ you and SWS.