PDA

View Full Version : first hammock

clodbuster
2008-02-23, 23:25
Okay I've been bitten by the "hanging bug". My big Q at this point is bridge or Hennessy asymetric or some other design? I'm 6'2" 235 lb. sleep on my side mostly some back, no winter/cold camping.

clodbuster
2008-03-03, 19:54
Sorry!! Did I say something I shouldn't have?

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-03, 20:05
Try hammockforums.net (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/index.php) for more info. Personally, I'd make a top-loader to try out before I bought one. They are really easy to make.

This is a link to instructions for a no sew test hammock (http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm)

dixicritter
2008-03-03, 20:55
Sorry!! Did I say something I shouldn't have?

No you didn't say anything wrong. This site just gets a little slow right now. SGT Rock is out on his Thru-Hike right now so he's not checking in that often.

GGS
2008-03-03, 21:35
Sorry, Clodbuster. Didn't mean to ignore you! Somehow I missed this post. Welcome to the hanging crowd!

I don't have experience with lots of different kinds of hammocks, but I do own and love the Hennessy Expedition A-Sym. The Hennessy is my first hammock purchase and I've never regretted it. Mine is a stock model with standard rainfly, which has worked fine for me. I've not encountered a need to upgrade to a larger rainfly but upgrades can be ordered.

Let us know what you decide on! Hope to see you on the trail.

Hog On Ice
2008-03-04, 09:01
wrt bridge hammock - you are a bit tall for the one made by Jacks R Better so that would be a DIY job until JRB comes out with a larger bridge hammock

wrt Hennessy - a good entry level hammock - consider the Explorer since you are tall - the Explorer gives you extra length

wrt cheap top loaders the HAAB type (ENO, Trek Light, Hammock Bliss, Ticket to the Moon, ...) are OK but definately read Hammock Forums for insight into the suspension systems - you definately do not want the Slap Straps IMO

dixicritter
2008-03-04, 09:45
Okay I've been bitten by the "hanging bug". My big Q at this point is bridge or Hennessy asymetric or some other design? I'm 6'2" 235 lb. sleep on my side mostly some back, no winter/cold camping.

I sleep on my side mostly too, am about a foot shorter than you and I weigh in at 136 lbs. So the hammock I would use probably wouldn't work for you although I like a lot of room when I sleep. I've been mostly successful in a Hennessy Desert Rat (which is comparable to the Explorer Deluxe in size) with sleeping on my side or back. My only issue was feeling a little claustrophobic because of the attached bug netting.

I ended up making my own top loader without an attached bug net (I'll figure out the bug netting issue when the need arises) and so far that has worked out just fine.

I have a Jacks R Better Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock to test out, but haven't had the opportunity to do so yet. I think I may like the fact that it won't squeeze my shoulders (I have arthritis) and all that, but I don't know about the added weight. My homemade hammock is pretty light. LOL.

I hope this helps some. Also if you ever do decide to venture out on some chillier nights there is a thread on here that I started about how to stay warm in a hammock (http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2417&highlight=staying+warm+saga). Lots of good ideas.

clodbuster
2008-03-04, 19:18
Thanks everyone. I have started gathering materials to build one of the Grizzly Adams bridge hammocks. The first one will be a learner to be used inside a little cabin I have in the woods so no worries about cold, rain or bugs. Lotsa learning about proper size and rigging can happen though.

oops56
2008-03-04, 20:22
Gee you got trees in your cabin:bike:

clodbuster
2008-03-05, 11:13
Yep Don't you use 'em up there in Vt?

oops56
2008-03-05, 12:00
Yep Don't you use 'em up there in Vt?

Most trees grow outside not in a cabin:afraid:

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-05, 12:01
Thanks everyone. I have started gathering materials to build one of the Grizzly Adams bridge hammocks. The first one will be a learner to be used inside a little cabin I have in the woods so no worries about cold, rain or bugs. Lotsa learning about proper size and rigging can happen though.Glad to hear you are going this route. I've learned a lot about what is important to me and how to make that happen by making my own gear.... sometimes I've decided to buy gear (a recent Brawny tarptent) because I've realized that it was indeed what I need. I may end up making a larger version of the brawny to give two of us fluffy dino-types more room in the future, but the design is perfection.