PDA

View Full Version : Let's get our fat arses in shape.....

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-03, 09:49
This evil creature will be coming to see you and singing this hideous song (http://www.ilovewavs.com/TV/ChilShow/Barney/Barney%20-%20I%20Love%20You.wav)
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Barney-eviloverlord.jpg

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-03, 10:05
Tis the season to go hiking
Fa la la la la la la la la
Move you arse or you'll be piking

Snivel not when training starts
It's good for waistlines and for hearts

Now, let's hear from you...
what are you going to do to get back into hiking shape.....
Don't make me hunt you down and sing.... you know I will.

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-03, 10:43
This rotund Dino is dieting and doing 30 minutes of cardio a day plus walking from .7 to 3 miles a day (depending on the weather and what else the dino has to do). Some strength training is creeping back into the dino life slowly.

The dino was doing 1 hour of cardio and walking 2.1 to 5 miles prior to the departure of the dino's mother for trails of gold last September. This really took the wind outta the dino sails for a while.....

Bear
2008-03-03, 11:24
I let myself go this winter and got up to 220 pounds, the biggest I have ever been in my life. Finally made the commitment February 1st and have lost 10 pounds so far. I want to get down to 195 and will achieve this as I have to get in shape for the hike my son and I have planned. He is doing a thru and I have almost 2 months of vacation and will hike as far as I can go in that amount of time. I have been hitting my wifeís stationary bike every evening and the weight machine at work. Yep, we have a weight machine at work that we are encouraged to use. Had a foot problem that is getting better and once I am able, I will strap on the backpack and hit the high school stadium stairs. We leave June 6th early in the morning and will be at Baxter State Park that evening.:biggrin:
Should pass Sgt Rock somewhere after the 100 mile wilderness.

GGS
2008-03-03, 14:15
Great subject, FD!

Bear, I feel your pain! The ol' scale for me was approaching 250lbs hanging on my 5'10 frame, also the heaviest I've been. I like to hike and backpack but it was difficult to enjoy myself being so out of shape. I couldn't hike more than 7 miles even in easy terrain. Last summer's trip to the Porcupine Mountains I found myself so painfully out of breath trying to navigate the elevation gains that I hiked out two days early and car camped the rest of the trip.

Last week of January I finally said enough is enough. I made a serious commitment to getting my weight below 200 by July, which is a reasonable 2lbs/week weight loss. Haven't weighed that little in two decades. I signed up with some others here at work for a Weight Watchers program. I'm not heavy into the "diet" thing but I use the information to evaluate the foods I eat and make healthier choices. Also I got a gym membership. I now work out 4 days a week. 20-30 minutes of cardio and interval training on the treadmill and finish with strength training with weights, about an hour a session total. Cardio/upper body Mon and Thurs, Cardio/lower body Tues and Fri, take Wed and the weekend off.

I'm now about 5 weeks into it and lost 9 pounds. I've finally "turned the corner" where I actually feel invigorated after a workout instead of wiped out. My clothes feel loose and comfortable again and I can shovel snow off my whole front sidewalk without having to stop and catch my breath.

My end goal is to hike the Porkies in July... And be in shape enough to enjoy it!!

Bear
2008-03-03, 17:51
Ouch! I am 6'2'' and when I start pushing 205 I feel uncomfortable. I'm starting to feel the age though. Will hit 50 while on the trail and the older I get the harder it is to take it off. I'm hoping the trail takes me down under 190. I haven't seen that in about 5 or 6 years.

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-03, 18:38
I'm female, 5' 10 and not missing Bear's weight by nearly enough.... this is more than I've ever weighed in my life... my doc used to fuss at me for being underweight before menopause changed my metabolism drastically. Hiking is a task with this much weight....

BigJohn
2008-03-03, 21:52
265 on a 5'11" frame. Heaviest I've ever been also. I don't feel safe doing the hikes I want to do. (in fact I haven't even thought much about hiking lately) :afraid: Like you all, its time to hit the treadmill. Won't say good luck to any of ya, but I will say see ya in July. :beer:

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-04, 22:40
So what did everyone do to reduce the lard clinging to various places today? I didn't get in any exercise (too sore due to weather :( ), but did stay on my diet.

warraghiyagey
2008-03-05, 03:31
The dino was doing 1 hour of cardio and walking 2.1 to 5 miles prior to the departure of the dino's mother for trails of gold last September. This really took the wind outta the dino sails for a while.....

Owwwwch Hon. That hurts. I've got a hug for ya on that when we meet.
I recently lost my birth father and had not the slightest inclination to even think about going to services (a state away). I admire folks that have closeness to their own, to their blood. And my spirit doesn't regret for a moment that part of my path are the steps that do not include such mourning. I feel mine through the love that otheres have for their families.

Ouch! I am 6'2'' and when I start pushing 205 I feel uncomfortable. I'm starting to feel the age though. Will hit 50 while on the trail and the older I get the harder it is to take it off. I'm hoping the trail takes me down under 190. I haven't seen that in about 5 or 6 years.

'. . . when someone yelled out, 'there's a light up above.' And thirty men scrambled from a would-be grave and everyone knew there was one left to save. Big John."
The trail is the elixir of life. Have a great hike!!!!

GGS
2008-03-06, 00:26
So what did everyone do to reduce the lard clinging to various places today? I didn't get in any exercise (too sore due to weather :( ), but did stay on my diet.

Well I actually did a workout, although I shouldn't have. Cough and cold symptoms so bad afterward I ended up calling in sick Wednesday.

Damn cold... I finally make some healthy lifestyle changes and then I have this stupid cold for three weeks...

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-06, 07:02
Owwwwch Hon. That hurts. I've got a hug for ya on that when we meet.
I recently lost my birth father and had not the slightest inclination to even think about going to services (a state away). I admire folks that have closeness to their own, to their blood. And my spirit doesn't regret for a moment that part of my path are the steps that do not include such mourning. I feel mine through the love that others have for their families.Thanks Warraghy. I miss Mom terribly, but life has to go on. I was always closer to my Dad and my brother was closer to Mom -- he is having a really hard time letting her go. While she had been sick (Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and major heart stuff), she died rather suddenly of complications after surgery.... and we just weren't ready for her to go.
Well I actually did a workout, although I shouldn't have. Cough and cold symptoms so bad afterward I ended up calling in sick Wednesday.

Damn cold... I finally make some healthy lifestyle changes and then I have this stupid cold for three weeks...::: Mama Dino wraps a comforting and healing tail around GGS and feeds him chicken soup :::

I'm having problems with the paralyzed muscle in my right leg (vastus lateralis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vastus_lateralis_muscle)) having spasms or cramps.... the doc says this is related to my increased activity (Darn young whipper-snapper was impudent enough to mention this wouldn't be happening if I had continued my exercises. I'm not telling anyone where I hid her body :D) Says I just have to work thru it, but to go slow..... so I'm going back to doing my original physical therapy exercises instead of cardio for the lower body and doing stationary strength training with an exercise ball for the upper body. This is a large, steaming pile of fresh coprolite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coprolite). :stickyman :mad2: Rant over.

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-06, 17:13
Dino went out and walked in a local park with a network of mountain bike trails. Did really well considering how out of shape I am. Did the part shown in red below.... maybe I can tackle the more challenging parts next week.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/ICKingpark3-6-08.jpg

GGS2
2008-03-06, 20:26
Dino went out and walked in a local park with a network of mountain bike trails. Did really well considering how out of shape I am. Did the part shown in red below.... maybe I can tackle the more challenging parts next week.
[/IMG]

Way to go, Dino. It is a real bummer when you get on in years and then break something vital. It takes forever (it seems) to get it going again, and there's a real good chance something ELSE will go bad while you are laid up. I am struggling with my Achilles tendon problem. I still can't walk anywhere. Just going grocery shopping makes it sore. I'm trying a stationary bike and next will try a real bike. Maybe by the end of Spring I will be mobile again. :banghead:

Anyway, congratulations on your progress. Don't push too hard.

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-06, 20:39
Way to go, Dino. It is a real bummer when you get on in years and then break something vital. It takes forever (it seems) to get it going again, and there's a real good chance something ELSE will go bad while you are laid up. I am struggling with my Achilles tendon problem. I still can't walk anywhere. Just going grocery shopping makes it sore. I'm trying a stationary bike and next will try a real bike. Maybe by the end of Spring I will be mobile again. :banghead:

Anyway, congratulations on your progress. Don't push too hard.Are you working with a physical therapist? They were really amazing in helping me find ways to exercise without hurting myself.

GGS2
2008-03-06, 22:04
Are you working with a physical therapist? They were really amazing in helping me find ways to exercise without hurting myself.

Yes and no. I haven't found them to be much use, as the thing just wants to take its own time. It's chronic, as I first injured it when I was very young, playing football in school. Bad football!! However, with patience and gentle exercise, it does get better. Slowly. But I don't want to whine. Just whimper every few months, maybe. I have a few thousand miles to hike in Ontario, never mind the AT!

Anyway, I just want to give you a pat on the back, and a smile. Go get 'em, girl. But with patience and understanding for your poor body. :angel:

GGS
2008-03-07, 02:09
::: Mama Dino wraps a comforting and healing tail around GGS and feeds him chicken soup :::

Ah! Thanks, Mama Dino! Just what I needed... Hot chicken soup and warm Dino tail! Er... wait... that didn't sound right...

I'm having problems with the paralyzed muscle in my right leg (vastus lateralis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vastus_lateralis_muscle)) having spasms or cramps.... the doc says this is related to my increased activity (Darn young whipper-snapper was impudent enough to mention this wouldn't be happening if I had continued my exercises. I'm not telling anyone where I hid her body :D) Says I just have to work thru it, but to go slow..... so I'm going back to doing my original physical therapy exercises instead of cardio for the lower body and doing stationary strength training with an exercise ball for the upper body. This is a large, steaming pile of fresh coprolite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coprolite). :stickyman :mad2: Rant over.

Stick to it, Mama Dino! Good exercise can only help regardless how much it hurts. IMO, any doctor who tells you NOT to exercise should be buried, pronto!

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-07, 08:10
Yes and no. I haven't found them to be much use, as the thing just wants to take its own time. It's chronic, as I first injured it when I was very young, playing football in school. Bad football!! However, with patience and gentle exercise, it does get better. Slowly. But I don't want to whine. Just whimper every few months, maybe. I have a few thousand miles to hike in Ontario, never mind the AT!

Anyway, I just want to give you a pat on the back, and a smile. Go get 'em, girl. But with patience and understanding for your poor body. :angel:Thanks for the warm thoughts.

While the PTs couldn't make my injured area heal any faster, they did help me keep everything that wasn't injured in shape from a wheelchair for five months, and then from a walker for several months by showing me ways to keep exercising that wouldn't harm my recovery. They didn't volunteer this info - it had to ask over and over, but they were willing to help once they realized I was serious about staying in shape. A lot of it involved using an exercise ball (those huge kind you sit on) once I could walk.

Ah! Thanks, Mama Dino! Just what I needed... Hot chicken soup and warm Dino tail! Er... wait... that didn't sound right...::: Dino seen grinning from ear to ear :::
Just stay away from the playground - that's he-dino's domain.....

Stick to it, Mama Dino! Good exercise can only help regardless how much it hurts. IMO, any doctor who tells you NOT to exercise should be buried, pronto!I did have docs, PTs and others trying to slow me down when I was first injured.... and they probably were right that I was hitting it too hard for my mangled carcuss to heal.

So, let's hear what everyone (except GGS who is on the sick list) is doing to lose the lard and tone what's underneath it.

warraghiyagey
2008-03-07, 11:38
Ignoring the eating cuz I'm bored phase of winter living, probably by never being bored. Too much to do between now and June 1.
:bath:

enviro
2008-03-07, 18:06
While she had been sick (Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and major heart stuff), she died rather suddenly of complications after surgery.... .

Alzheimers is a tough way to go, especially for the family. It's just brutal. Our elderly deserve to pass on with more dignity than that disease affords. I have it in my family, grandfather and grandmother so I'm scared.

GGS
2008-03-08, 01:37
::: Dino seen grinning from ear to ear :::
Just stay away from the playground - that's he-dino's domain.....

Hehe... That's two things I DON'T need... Being smacked upside the head with She-Dino's tail or facing off with He-Dino's teeth...

Thanks for the health concerns. I was ALMOST ready to do a Michigan UP camping/hiking trip this weekend, but still have a cough, still feel under the weather, and looking at -5f temperatures overnight... ya know, just NOT a good choice this weekend. Must stay home and heal. Lab pups are very disappointed as they've watched me pack all my camping gear last night. Poor doggies are bouncing off the walls. I'm disappointed as well but gotta make that call.puke: But I...will...return...

Nightwalker
2008-03-08, 01:44
Now, let's hear from you...
what are you going to do to get back into hiking shape.....
Don't make me hunt you down and sing.... you know I will.

I didn't stop hiking this year just because it was Winter. That was a cool thing. I think I'm gonna do a thru to get back in shape for hiking. T'will prolly work. :)

Strangely enough, Rock's 02/08/08 post helped me with the only problem that has kept me from going further in AT hikes before. Missing my wife just kills me. Somehow, seeing that it happens and is hard for everyone that does it just seemed to make it easier. We'll see.

Y'all make sure to start betting against me, a la the MS thread of last year. :)

Nightwalker
2008-03-08, 01:49
I recently lost my birth father and had not the slightest inclination to even think about going to services (a state away).

Strangely enough, my adopted daughter is the child that I'm closest to. I met her mom when she was pregnant with her, and figured that if I loved the mom that I'd probably love the kid as well.

She was a choice, and has known that since she was tiny. Strangely enough, she takes after me personality-wise much more than she does her mother. I believe that she did that by choice as well. She's my baby girl, even at 27, and she is very important to me. That she gave me a grandson doesn't hurt matters much. :)

JAK
2008-03-08, 11:04
Rock on Dino. I'm trying to hike myself back into shape also. I've got a limited amount of time, but a little every day adds up, and helps keep me from eating wrong.

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-08, 11:13
Hehe... That's two things I DON'T need... Being smacked upside the head with She-Dino's tail or facing off with He-Dino's teeth...

Thanks for the health concerns. I was ALMOST ready to do a Michigan UP camping/hiking trip this weekend, but still have a cough, still feel under the weather, and looking at -5f temperatures overnight... ya know, just NOT a good choice this weekend. Must stay home and heal. Lab pups are very disappointed as they've watched me pack all my camping gear last night. Poor doggies are bouncing off the walls. I'm disappointed as well but gotta make that call.puke: But I...will...return...::: Dino peeks into warm and healling tail and tells lab pups to settle down :::

-5 degrees with a cough isn't a good idea - sometimes taking care of yourself means foregoing things that you would just love to be doing. Rarely say this on backpacking boards, but kudos to you for not going on this trip.

warraghiyagey
2008-03-09, 00:29
Strangely enough, my adopted daughter is the child that I'm closest to. I met her mom when she was pregnant with her, and figured that if I loved the mom that I'd probably love the kid as well.

She was a choice, and has known that since she was tiny. Strangely enough, she takes after me personality-wise much more than she does her mother. I believe that she did that by choice as well. She's my baby girl, even at 27, and she is very important to me. That she gave me a grandson doesn't hurt matters much. :)

Curious so, how life fleshes out. I like your story better than mine.:)

Just Plain Jim
2008-03-12, 15:30
I work out almost every day. Sometimes in the morning or evening. I love it and have done it for years. I jog from May till Nov. and then hike till I section hike in May. I [lucky] live on the side of some nice hills and use them and some great mountain trails near home.
I started lifting weights when I was 14 [for the girls] and still going 54 years later. :aetsch:

warraghiyagey
2008-03-12, 18:17
Yeah, Jack LaLane had some influence on me too.
:biggrin:

GGS
2008-03-13, 20:53
I work out almost every day. Sometimes in the morning or evening. I love it and have done it for years. I jog from May till Nov. and then hike till I section hike in May. I [lucky] live on the side of some nice hills and use them and some great mountain trails near home.
I started lifting weights when I was 14 [for the girls] and still going 54 years later. :aetsch:

Good for you, JBJ! That's a great habit to get into. My habits are getting better but I've still a long way to go.

JAK
2008-03-13, 21:17
Still going for the girls 54 years later eh? That is a great habit to get into,
as long as you keep modifying you definition of 'girls' and 'going for''.

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-13, 21:19
Does this mean I have to take up chasing girls to lose weight... he-dino really isn't gonna be a happy hiker if I switch teams......:aetsch:

JAK
2008-03-13, 21:23
This seventy year old guy goes into the confession booth.

"Forgive me father, but I have done this terrible thing. Last night I spent the entire night with these two beatiful twenty year old girls, and when I woke up in the morning they both made me breakfast in bed and now they want me to move in with them."

"That is terrible. A man of your age should know better. You must of course apologize to these two young women and atone for your sins by saying ten Hail Mary and ten Our Fathers."

"But father, I'm Jewish".

"Well then what are you telling me for."

"Tell you? I've been telling everybody!"

warraghiyagey
2008-03-13, 21:35
Does this mean I have to take up chasing girls to lose weight... he-dino really isn't gonna be a happy hiker if I switch teams......:aetsch:

What if you just played for both sides??

:ahhhhh:

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-13, 21:45
What if you just played for both sides??

:ahhhhh:Well, he-dino is a guy....... I guess if I kept him 'in the loop' he'd be OK.

warraghiyagey
2008-03-13, 21:46
Well, he-dino is a guy....... I guess if I kept him 'in the loop' he'd be OK.

That's what I'm talkin about !!

:adore: :adore: :adore: :adore:

dixicritter
2008-03-13, 21:59
Y'all need to add spew warnings on these posts. LMAO

JAK
2008-03-13, 22:14
I thought Dixi of all people would stay 'out of the loop' on this one.

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-13, 22:18
Dixi is a whole lot cooler IRL than y'all can imagine. She only plays a bad cop at WB :D

However, she can turn into a giant ball of teeth and claws if you piss her off. Don't do it :vroam:

warraghiyagey
2008-03-13, 22:38
Dixi is a whole lot cooler IRL than y'all can imagine. She only plays a bad cop at WB :D

However, she can turn into a giant ball of teeth and claws if you piss her off. Don't do it :vroam:

I ain't askeerta no woman. Bring it WD. (WhineDixi)

dixicritter
2008-03-13, 22:43
I ain't askeerta no woman. Bring it WD. (WhineDixi)

BOO

:hahaha:

warraghiyagey
2008-03-13, 22:45
Dammit. She knows my one weakness.
Wussism.:afraid:

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-13, 22:46
This is Dixi --> http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Smileys/taz.gif and this is Warraghy --> :saint:

warraghiyagey
2008-03-13, 22:48
This is Dixi --> http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Smileys/taz.gif and this is Warraghy --> :saint:

Maintenance - clean up on laptop 1. . . .

Maintenance - clean up on laptop 1.

JAK
2008-03-13, 22:50
How many people can be in this loop before it gets too knotty?

dixicritter
2008-03-13, 23:07
Now to get this thread back on topic... I know how boring right. ;)

Believe it or not this time two years ago I weighed in at 213 pounds and was at my heaviest non-pregnant weight of my life. I could barely stand myself. Part of this weight was put on because of having to take steroids for my Rheumatoid Arthritis to help reduce inflammation. I was on them for a long time to try and get my condition under control.

In May of 2006 I developed another condition that caused me to almost lose my eyesight. My Neurologist explained to me that this condition mostly occurred in females of child bearing age who are over weight. Me to a T, and I needed to lose 73 to 78 pounds to be cured. I laughed in his face.

I'd tried dieting. I have RA, so vigorous exercising ain't in the cards for me... well at least not if I want to move the next day. I didn't know what I was going to do. I felt doomed. Then all of a sudden things just started working out... side effect of one of my meds made soft drinks taste like metal. Cool... I dropped an immediate 17 pounds and it gave me a HUGE confidence boost.

I found out I could walk on a treadmill without it killing my joints... COOL. More pounds started coming off. More confidence. Maybe I can do this after all I thought.

Next thing I did was to cut down my portion sizes just a little bit. Not pile my plate so high. And to quit eating when I started to fill full, or just before if I could. Now the pounds were really coming off. This was great!

So fast forward to today... I was able to reach my goal range. As of today I am staying between 136 and 138 depending on the day. I actually did hit 135 one day, but I'm not sure I should count that. LOL.

I feel so much better about myself now. And I know this weight is much healthier and easier on my joints. So that's my story of trying to get my fat arse in shape. Next I need to work on the actual shaping up part. Shhh don't tell my PT I haven't been doing my exercises. :wink:

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-13, 23:16
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Skinnybitchtshirt.jpg

JAK
2008-03-13, 23:19
That's very inspirational Dixi.

I am currently up to 227#, at 6'. I've been 230# and got down to 185/190ish a few years back, by hiking and paddling and then running, but I haven't had the self-discipline to do it again. It wasn't that hard the first time, meaning it just happened somehow so I never really earned it, just thought I did, and now here I am again. I think I need to get into the loop, like Dino.

Errr. I mean this kind of loop...

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/ICKingpark3-6-08.jpg

dixicritter
2008-03-13, 23:21
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Skinnybitchtshirt.jpg

LOL.... I knew that was coming. :wink:

JAK
2008-03-13, 23:26
Do you folks find that exercise helps you eat better,
or more the other way around,
or that they go together but the motivation needs to come from elsewhere?

Bear
2008-03-13, 23:35
If I hadnít just read it, I would not have believed it. You looked just as petite as could be when Lisa and I had dinner with you and Rock in October. Would you believe I put on close to 20 pounds since then :ahhhhh: after our vacation but have since lost 13 of those pounds? Hunting season is a rough time for me as I have the camp stocked for my son and stepson each which can eat about anything that they want. Naturally when it is there staring me in the face it is hard to refuse. Especially when I love sweets! But the trail is calling and clothes are starting to fit again without the fear of ripping at the seams. I can actually breathe again in some of my pants.

Hope you, Rock, and the kids enjoy your much deserved vacation and hope to pass Rock on the trail.

JAK
2008-03-13, 23:39
I've recently discovered that combining a high protien and fat in the morning diet is not effective for weight loss when combined with a high carb in the evening diet.

Bear
2008-03-13, 23:42
The best diet is to eat less and exercise more. The end :bootyshak .:biggrin:

JAK
2008-03-13, 23:52
Is it true that 1 pound per week is pretty much the limit of the long haul?

Bear
2008-03-14, 00:26
It depends on how over weight you are and how hard you are trying. The more over weight and the more you exercise and eat less the more you will lose. I lost 10 pounds the first 4 weeks but only 3 the next 3 weeks. The difference was I had less time to exercise but still dieted about the same amount. I find as I get close to my desired weight it comes off slower but everyone is different. I would imagine that age and metabolism play a part too.

JAK
2008-03-14, 00:43
Thanks Bear. I think I'll try something like that first, 10 pounds in 4 weeks, but with the expectation of one pound per week for the month after that.

That is far enough ahead for now. Start weight, 227#.
I will keep and eye on waist measurement also. 44" at the navel.

Nightwalker
2008-03-14, 02:16
The best diet is to eat less and exercise more. The end. :biggrin:

Short version: If you put out more calories than you take in, you lose weight.

So simple, yet so difficult. :)

Bear
2008-03-14, 05:06
One thing I forgot to add JAK is that everything I have read and that I do is eat normally or above normal one day out of the week. I keep my caloric intake between 1400 to 1800 on ďdiet daysĒ but on that one day I may eat up to 3000 to 3500 calories. Iíve read that if you continue to eat light your body adjust to the decrease in calories and your metabolism slows down. By eating heavy on one day it keeps the body in check so to speak. AND FRIDAY IS MY DAY TO EAT!!! Already told the wife to think about where she wants to eat because Iím hungry!:biggrin:

GGS
2008-03-18, 02:46
::: Dino peeks into warm and healling tail and tells lab pups to settle down :::

-5 degrees with a cough isn't a good idea - sometimes taking care of yourself means foregoing things that you would just love to be doing. Rarely say this on backpacking boards, but kudos to you for not going on this trip.

::: Lab pups lie down obediently with wiggly rear ends and tails going thumpety-thump :::

Good advice, Mama Dino. Although I'm sad to miss this trip, a second visit to the Dr and a different antibiotic has finally brought the cough under control. I felt good enough last weekend to do some winter camping and snowshoeing. Labbys were very happy to get out of doors, and the fresh air and exercise did GGS some good too!

Today would be my first day back in the gym in two weeks and it felt good to be throwing some iron around! Cough still a minor problem but didn't affect workout and it's good to be back on task toward goal of losing fat arse!

enviro
2008-03-18, 21:51

Believe it or not this time two years ago I weighed in at 213 pounds and was at my heaviest non-pregnant weight of my life. I could barely stand myself. Part of this weight was put on because of having to take steroids for my Rheumatoid Arthritis to help reduce inflammation. I was on them for a long time to try and get my condition under control.

In May of 2006 I developed another condition that caused me to almost lose my eyesight. My Neurologist explained to me that this condition mostly occurred in females of child bearing age who are over weight. Me to a T, and I needed to lose 73 to 78 pounds to be cured. I laughed in his face.

I'd tried dieting. I have RA, so vigorous exercising ain't in the cards for me... well at least not if I want to move the next day. I didn't know what I was going to do. I felt doomed. Then all of a sudden things just started working out... side effect of one of my meds made soft drinks taste like metal. Cool... I dropped an immediate 17 pounds and it gave me a HUGE confidence boost.

I found out I could walk on a treadmill without it killing my joints... COOL. More pounds started coming off. More confidence. Maybe I can do this after all I thought.

Next thing I did was to cut down my portion sizes just a little bit. Not pile my plate so high. And to quit eating when I started to fill full, or just before if I could. Now the pounds were really coming off. This was great!

So fast forward to today... I was able to reach my goal range. As of today I am staying between 136 and 138 depending on the day. I actually did hit 135 one day, but I'm not sure I should count that. LOL.

I feel so much better about myself now. And I know this weight is much healthier and easier on my joints. So that's my story of trying to get my fat arse in shape. Next I need to work on the actual shaping up part. Shhh don't tell my PT I haven't been doing my exercises. :wink:

Well done Dixie!!!:arty: That's a big drop. I need to drop a few Lbs myself. I laugh at myself sometimes weighing the things going into my pack to the oz. when if I lost 20 lbs on my middle it would be so much easier on my legs.

enviro
2008-03-18, 21:54
This seventy year old guy goes into the confession booth.

"Forgive me father, but I have done this terrible thing. Last night I spent the entire night with these two beatiful twenty year old girls, and when I woke up in the morning they both made me breakfast in bed and now they want me to move in with them."

"That is terrible. A man of your age should know better. You must of course apologize to these two young women and atone for your sins by saying ten Hail Mary and ten Our Fathers."

"But father, I'm Jewish".

"Well then what are you telling me for."

"Tell you? I've been telling everybody!"

Kind of like the Viagra commercial where they say that if you have a stand-up for more than 4 hrs. you should tell your Dr. hey, I'm telling everybody!!!:thrasher:

warraghiyagey
2008-03-19, 06:06

Nice work Dixi!!!!!!

:angel: :beer:

FireFighter56
2008-03-27, 01:12
nothing funny about dropping weight....i have a hard time with it myself...8 years ago it was nothing for me to eat like a pig and stay 158 lbs...i was a rock kickboxed for 8 years and boxed for 5 .....than my family genes kicked in and got Arthritis in my hands witch killed my guitar/bass playing..that ment no playin on a full time scale anymore so the door slamed shut one foot in for me ....and i mean one foot in ...i still get backstage and shows in PA because i now ppl...but never bother to go....than i had my accident ....that left me with a fake knee rebuilt left leg and all the fun that comes with that lol....and i can still outrun all of ya...ok....rock can outrun me probly....took me a year to walk again....after all that i'm stuck at 190lbs and can't get it to drop below 187lbs that and i also take steroids for my eyes...because i have such greak luck i ended up geting a viruse in my eyes...witch is so rare only 1% of all ppl on earth end up getting it and there is no cure so if i let it go i can go blind so at least 3 months out of the year on on steroids.....and gain even more weight.....so dixi...i know where u are coming from ....keep up the great work don't give up....i never will....and i tell u all this as a lesson on life....she ishard and can change your path in a heartbeat......just keep on the path....i did and have a great life and still can run a 40 in 4.8 sec lol

enviro
2008-03-27, 02:43
With all of that you still run a sub 5.0 40 yd ? Dude you rock! We all have tough stuff that when young we never think will happen to us. it doesn't matter what happens...it matters how we choose to deal with it.

GGS
2008-04-06, 14:00
Woo hoo! Just wanted to report back.

Up until yesterday my best distance for a dayhike was 8.4 miles, and I was seriously hurting by the end. Feet and hips killing me among other things. I was with a group of people, and after about an hour taking pictures and stuff I was so stiff and sore I could barely climb into my car.

Well, yesterday I just did my first 12 mile dayhike! And although happy to be back to my camp, I still had energy to spare and could set up the tent and generally enjoy myself. It felt REALLY good! Yes I am sore today but here's the kicker - I did a lower body workout yesterday before deciding to go camping and hiking. For the most part I expected to be a little sore and stiff from that, and I am really not much more stiff than usual despite the hike.

I can attribute this to serious strength training with weights, and interval training on the treadmill.

Still have 3 months and 40 pounds to go... And I know that this can only get better!

:: GGS doing a little dance of happiness :: :dancing:

CaSteve
2008-04-06, 14:49
This winter I managed to gain another 10lbs despite indoor spin cycling at least twice per week, skiing (downhill or cross country) every weekend but two between Christmas & the end of March. I'm up to 210, want to be at 185. Food seems to be the problem It's probably time to stop eating.

Frolicking Dino
2008-04-19, 15:45
::: Dino hangs head in shame :::

Weight is the same as when I started again - hospital food for a couple of days (worth it) (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/AmandaChriswithnewbornCodyforweb.jpg).... lots of traveling.... not enough hiking.

dixicritter
2008-04-20, 09:24
Do I need to come over there with "motivational materials"? ;)

Where'd I put that cattle prod?

warraghiyagey
2008-04-21, 01:23
Maybe a reverse but hopefully none-the-less inspirational message. I've put on some pounds. The trail awaits.:)

Bear
2008-04-21, 06:18
Did good the first month and lost 10 pounds. Fell off the wagon a little the second and still managed to loose 4 pounds. Back at it hard now with eating and preparing for the trail by walking every day and going to the high school stadium and hitting the stairs. Canít wait to get on the scale again as clothes are starting to fit better and wearing things I havenít been able to wear in a while. Want to be at 190 when we hit the trail. Should be around 200 right now.

Frolicking Dino
2008-04-21, 20:46
Drill sargent Dixi is outside my door - I'm a goner. :bootyshak

dixicritter
2008-04-22, 08:46
Drill sargent Dixi is outside my door - I'm a goner. :bootyshak

Oh you just wait. :secruity:

martyvan
2008-05-24, 22:39
When you can't shower, please try Action Wipes (www.actionwipes.com). Help us spread the word.

Frolicking Dino
2008-07-11, 11:01
I've gone back to the gym for 2 to 3 hour workouts in water at a senior wellness center. I may have to drag Dixi into the warm water pool with me. Seriously, this thing feels great to sore joints and lets you do flexibility enhancing moves that just aren't possible on dry land.

I've graduated to AFAP II and a regular water aerobics class 5 days a week. I'm also doing some recumbent bike and treadmill work when I am not dead-dog tired after the two hours in the water. My weight is down .5 lb, but my measurements are going down considerably. Guess I'm trading muscle for fat?

dixicritter
2008-07-11, 11:54
That's awesome Dino! Keep up the good work!

Frolicking Dino
2008-07-11, 12:22
So when Can I drag Dixi into the water? :D

Frolicking Dino
2008-07-17, 01:10
My weight is now down 6 lbs and I've dropped a size - my too tight jeans are now comfy - almost too loose. I continue to do 2 to 3 hours in the gym pool four to six days a week.

Frolicking Dino
2008-07-19, 08:39
I went to put on my fat jeans to do some gardening and they fell off :D

oops56
2008-07-19, 09:15
Did you know that they make belts to hold up pants

Frolicking Dino
2008-07-19, 10:41
Oops, I'm a girl -- we rely on our hips to hold up jeans -- belts are simply decorations for us.

Frolicking Dino
2008-07-24, 09:34
Continuing the 5 day per week - 2 to 3 hours a day of water exercise. Now doing two regular aerobics classes back-to-back and walking in water for an hour. I plan to start taking a 3X a week - one hour seniors stretch / tone / mild strength training class on dry land when I return from my granddaughter's wedding in mid August.

Not losing much weight, but gaining strength and stamina. It is great to be fully alive again. I went thru a really down period after my mother passed. I have since shed some baggage and have realigned my support system to promote success in both physical and spiritual endeavors.

dixicritter
2008-07-24, 09:59
Keep up the good work Dino. Maybe sometime soon I'll be able to go with you and use that pass you got for me. I swear I haven't forgotten. Doggone work schedule!!!

SGT Rock
2008-07-24, 14:33
I dropped 6 pounds after I started working this job. It isn't that the job is hard - I'm just not sitting around snacking as much.

Jarhead
2008-07-26, 13:30
Keep up the great work!

JAK
2008-07-26, 14:01
I'm finally starting to make some headway getting down from 230#. I'm making lentil or bean soup for supper. I throw in whatever vegetables are around and spice it up a little different each night and its totally filling. I still have lots of energy also.

Keep up the good work Dino.

Frolicking Dino
2008-07-26, 20:30
Sounds like a good diet, JAK. We used to have a veggie soup for lunch every day.

Finally got Dixi over to the gym with me. - but forgot the camera. However, since there's photoshop I can still supply pictorial evidence.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/DixiDinohottub.jpg

Man, those workouts have really slimmed down this Dino :D

::: Dino seen searching for sparkly thing in her navel ::::

JAK
2008-07-27, 14:04
That's quite the soup ya got there FD.
Not sure if it still qualifies as veggie, but I'm not one to fuss.

Frolicking Dino
2008-07-31, 08:33
Dino has graduated to some land exercise - and the weight is started to come off -- finally.

Current workout is three days of water exercise with three days of land exercise (rest on Sunday) My land exercise days are a senior workout that combines cardio, strength training, stretching, and yoga. Right now I'm doing the beginner class, but will be adding the advanced class when I get over being sore from the beginner class :D

I walked an hour on the treadmill yesterday after a thunderstorm closed the pool (even indoor pools attract lightening - I didn't know that)

Frolicking Dino
2008-08-05, 14:15
Well, I'm down 5 more pounds and am doing the advanced senior aerobics class now (well, as much as i can - I can't move as fast as they do without falling down). As soon as I master it, I will be adding the senior's advanced strength training - though there are things in that class that I cannot ever hope to do with a paralyzed vastus lateralis (like walking lunges). I will do those as best I can along the wall with a ballet bar.

Bearpaw
2008-08-05, 14:29
Congratulations Dino, that's awesome! Keep on keepin' on.

Frolicking Dino
2008-08-05, 17:34
Congratulations Dino, that's awesome! Keep on keepin' on.Thank you. The encouragement helps.
{{{ Newlyweds Bearpaw and Sleeps with Skunks }}}

Frolicking Dino
2008-08-22, 10:42
My workout routine has hit another serious snag.

My Dad is very ill. His mitral valve has failed and his atrium is about twice the size it should be and not beating with the rest of the heart at this point. His aortic valve is failing. His heart rate reached about 150 last week, but we have been able to get that down to 80-90. He is in atrial fibrillation and has been placed on Coumadin (blood thinner) and a large dose of Toprol (beta blocker) to slow the heart. He is at an extremely high risk to have a stroke at this time. The use of a much more serious (and somewhat dangerous) drug, amiodarone (http://www.medicinenet.com/amiodarone/article.htm), is being considered to get his heart to beat in a normal rhythm. He is too elderly for most of the other methods to be used, though a pacemaker in addition to the dangerous drug is under discussion.

I would appreciate prayers.

::: Dino seen weeping uncontrollably :::

MRH
2008-08-22, 12:48
I'm sorry to hear this. Will be praying for you and family...

GGS
2008-08-25, 14:06
Sorry to hear the news. My thoughts and prayers to your Dad and all of your family.

Frolicking Dino
2008-08-25, 21:57
Thanks guys.

I will be going down on Wednesday and may not be back for a while. It depends on how the cardiologist want to treat this. If it involves surgery or a hospital stay to start the dangerous med, I will be staying until Dad is able to live alone again.

Footslogger
2008-08-25, 22:59
Having just about checked out this past March I have a somewhat unique appreciation for what you and he is going through. My thoughts are with both of you.

'Slogger

dixicritter
2008-08-27, 09:12
Keep us updated as you can FD. You know you and you're Dad are in my prayers!

Frolicking Dino
2008-08-30, 14:53
::: Dino seen frolicking off to the gym for warm water exercises :::

Back in town from having been with my Dad for cardiologist visits. The cardiologist was hopeful that we can keep Dad from having a stroke due to the mitral value failure with blood thinners and reduce his heart rate with meds. He may still need a cardio-conversion sometime in October, but the cardiologist didn't feel the gains outweigh the risks at this time.

More troubling is that my Dad's aortic value is only opening to 1 cm instead of 3 cm. Because this is not currently causing major problems, the cardiologist wants to wait and see how fast it is progressing rather than treat this now. This is called aortic value stenosis (http://www.medicinenet.com/aortic_stenosis/article.htm#1whatis) and the only cure is open heart surgery - valve replacement. If it narrows much more, surgery will be needed and Dad has already decided that given the choice between taking the chance of surgery at his age or being unable to have the full and active life he now enjoys, he would take the surgery.

The big question here is if the mitral value failure is causing the aortic valve stenosis to worsen rapidly or if the stenosis is just coming from advancing age (which would be expected to advance very slowly and likely not cause enough problems to require surgery in Dad's lifetime)