PDA

View Full Version : Need some info...

atraildreamer
2008-03-03, 19:00
I just "rescued" an external frame backpack and an Army mummy sleeping bag from the trash man! The bag is labeled "1949" (date of manufacture?) and is feather (down?) filled. It is no lightweight (don't have the exact weight, yet) has a heavy duty aluminum full-length zipper which is designed to be quickly pulled apart (if anyone starts shooting at you, I suppose ) and has a canvas strip with grommet holes running parrallel to the zipper (I'm speculating that this is to lace it up as a body bag in case you don't get up fast enough! ).

Anyone out there with any more info on this bag?

Also, what is the best way to clean it? It says not to dry clean.

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-03, 19:36
This site may help some (http://www.olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear_sleeping_bag.php)

Use down wash or woollite to wash it.

Mutinousdoug
2008-03-04, 15:39
I just "rescued" an external frame backpack and an Army mummy sleeping bag from the trash man! The bag is labeled "1949" (date of manufacture?) and is feather (down?) filled. It is no lightweight (don't have the exact weight, yet) has a heavy duty aluminum full-length zipper which is designed to be quickly pulled apart (if anyone starts shooting at you, I suppose ) and has a canvas strip with grommet holes running parrallel to the zipper (I'm speculating that this is to lace it up as a body bag in case you don't get up fast enough! )..

1949 is most probably the model number and refers to the design acceptance date. I had one as a kid. Yours may have been made as late as the 1950's or early 60's. The grommets are sort of a backup for the zipper if it should fail, you can lace yourself into the bag like a set of Chuck Taylors.
They came with an army duck cover with snaps as I recall. I don't know what they're rated to but a hunting buddy of mine used his when we elk or antelope hunted until a few years ago (laced in; his zipper didn't work). It's not a bad "old school" piece of gear.
I've never had much luck laundering my down stuff so I can't help there.

atraildreamer
2008-03-10, 16:03
This site may help some (http://www.olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear_sleeping_bag.php)

Use down wash or woollite to wash it.

The mountain bag shown in the site is the one that I have. I don't have the waterproof cover for the bag, but I will be getting a stuff sack for it based on the dimensions given at the site (12" x 21"). 7 1/2 pounds is no light weight! :ahhhhh:

Thanks to the dinos and mutinousdoug for the info! :biggrin:

dropkick
2008-03-10, 23:40
I used one of those bags as a kid for many years, then it became an emergency bag in my truck. Finally ended staying with my travel trailer.
Sadly the trailer and all it's contents didn't survived the 2000 fire season.

Wasn't the most comfortable of bags to climb in to (the interior cloth had a clammy feel - especially when cold) and it had a habit of losing feathers (worked their way through the fabric weave), but it kept me warm for a lot of years.

Mine was also well over 50 years old when it got incinerated. Try finding a bag in the store that will last that long, even without fairly heavy use.